View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default TGH: Ch. 16 - Lanfear's Compulsion Potion/Ter'angreal

I'd like to continue the discussion Crispy started last year about this.

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=5962

And I'm definitely supporting the idea that Lanfear is carrying a Ter'angreal, and I'd like to push out the idea that it is something to do with her scent, almost as though it enters into the body and remains there after she has gone, like an air-borne compulsion that requires some proximity, but retains some lasting effects.

I'm less inclined to go the route of the Finns for this, although I'm happy to accept it as an option. We now know the Finns have tons of objects of Power and it wouldn't be surprising for them to give Lanfear something like this in response to a request to be the most beautiful/desired woman in the world. However, I'd also suggest that such Ter'angreal, or a Ter'angreal perfume, a sprayable Ter'angreal would have been more "common" in the Age of Legends. I can imagine a black market for such a thing, if it was illegal to manipulate people in such ways during the AoL. But the idea that at an atomic level the people of the Age of Legends would have figured out a manipulation of pheromones and the one power is a reasonable one to me.

Consider some reactions and the focus on the interpretation of whatever they are sensing to be explained as beautiful and a desire to look at that beauty, a need to see it, and Rand connects it to her scent in this initial passage.

Quote:
TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 16 - In the Mirror of Darkness
Rand was relieved, but he missed her presence, too. She was only two spans away-he twisted in his saddle to stare at her, riding by Loial's side; the Ogier was bent half double in his saddle so he could talk with her but that was not the same as being right there beside him, close enough for him to smell her heady scent, close enough to touch. He settled back angrily. It was not that he wanted to touch her, exactly - he reminded himself that he loved Egwene; he felt guilty at the need for reminding but she was beautiful, and she thought he was a lord, and she said he could be a great man.
Quote:
Rand stared at her as if she had been gone months; that was how he felt. "I wish Selene would come ride with me some more," he said. Loial chuckled, and Rand felt his face burn.
Quote:
She was surely the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, intelligent and learned, and she thought he was brave; what more could a man ask from a wife? That's crazy, too. I'd marry Egwene if I could marry anyone, but I can't ask a woman to marry a man who's going to go mad, maybe hurt her. But Selene was so beautiful.
Quote:
CHAPTER: 19 - Beneath the Dagger
"That is madness," Selene said. Rand flinched at the word. "Mad or not, it is what I'm doing. I told you, Selene, I want no part of greatness. Back there, I thought I did. For a while, I thought I wanted things . . . ." Light, she's so beautiful. Egwene. Selene. I'm not worthy of either of them. "Something seemed to take hold of me." Saidin came for me, but I fought it off with a sword. Or is that mad, too? He breathed deeply. "Shienar is where the Horn of Valere belongs. Or if not there, Lord Agelmar will know what to do with it."
Quote:
CHAPTER: 20 - Saidin
Aes Sedai trying to make me do what they want. Selene was still gazing intently into his eyes, her face so young and beautiful that he wanted to kiss her despite what he was thinking. He had never seen an Aes Sedai act the way she did, and she looked young, not ageless. A girl my age couldn't be Aes Sedai. But...
Quote:
CHAPTER: 31 - On the Scent
Transferring things from his old coat to his new, he found the parchments. Absently, he stuffed the invitations in his pocket as he studied Selene's two letters. He wondered how he could have been such a fool. She was the beautiful young daughter of a noble House. He was a shepherd whom Aes Sedai were trying to use, a man doomed to go mad if he did not die first. Yet he could still feel the pull of her just looking at her writing, could almost smell the perfume of her.
I love how often it is out of sequence in his thoughts. And he makes mention of her perfume, which leads to my theory that it is an air-borne compulsion/toxin Ter'angreal spray. Heh. Maybe she keeps it in her belt. Heh, although I'm ok with it being a standard ring, hair piece, belt, or whatever, but the idea of something more standard fare, like perfume, something that would lead to legends about love potions, appeals to me.

I haven't had a chance to compare this against Cyndane, and future Lanfear meetings, but I would guess that the Forsaken know about this and have some way to protect themselves from its effects.