Thread: Terez's reread
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Despite the overdose of female in TFOH, I have to say that I am loving Nynaeve in this book. She's always a bit...herself...but in this book it's really easy for me to relate to her. She starts out the book in a bad mood, and it just keeps getting worse and worse. She has moments where she's moping about Birgitte, or scared to death that Moghedien is going to come get her (and haha, Moghedien has already found her and she's too scared to make a move), but inevitably someone says something to her—it pretty much doesn't matter what, after a certain point—and off she goes.

I just started The Price of a Ship, and it's top-notch stuff; I'd forgotten how much so. I dig the Elayne-Nynaeve overload (this is when they really start to grate on each other past the fleeting stuff, for the first time, because Elayne is very patient usually). There are a lot of bits from their time together (basically from TGH to WH when Nynaeve finally escapes) that I have often referenced, but it's something else in context. Now that I'm near the end of the book I feel differently about the male-female balance in this one.

And also, The Price of a Ship is one of the best theme-summarizing chapter names in the series. But since we know it's fiction, we can appreciate the humor aspect of it too. I mean, Nynaeve asked the two craziest people in Samara to find a ship for her, knowing that it was unlikely two would come at once, and those two people were on opposite sides of a boiling cauldron that she had walked all across and back. And she didn't care; all she could think about was "I need a ship." And since she knew Masema was crazy she hedged her bets. In her defense Galad seems to have stolen Lanfear's love-pheromones or whatever.