Thread: Terez's reread
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Something I tweeted about the other day: I think that maybe the whole 'Dragon is one with the Land' thing might possibly explain the freaky weather. I only bring it up because it makes sense in a strange way.

Let's say that the Fisher King thing becomes active when Rand becomes ta'veren. RJ said that happened just before Moiraine appeared in the Two Rivers. You might say that it was the day before, but I think his comment leaves enough room for a few months. They had to draw Moiraine and Thom to the Two Rivers, probably, so it would make sense.

Even one month might have been enough, or perhaps two. Some time during the natural winter, Rand became ta'veren. And he was cold. So it stayed cold, until he traveled to the Blight. His victory there brought on the spring, finally.

Linda thinks there are two things going on here—Fisher King, and the Eddings-like game-using-surrogates thing—and I can buy that, but I think that, either way, it's not the Dark One's touch on the world, exactly.

The next time the weather went wonky was when Rand was in the Waste, where it's hot. And dry. (Except at night.) When they came out, it should have been into autumn, but instead, the fires of heaven were purging the earth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFOH
With his coming are the dread fires born again. The hills burn, and the land turns sere. The tides of men run out, and the hours dwindle. The wall is pierced, and the veil of parting raised. Storms rumble beyond the horizon, and the fires of heaven purge the earth. There is no salvation without destruction, no hope this side of death.

fragment from The Prophecies of the Dragon believed translated by N'Delia Basolaine First Maid and Swordfast to Raidhen of Hol Cuchone (circa 400 AB)
And that little problem didn't get fixed until the Bowl was used in TPOD. But we got the Fisher King prophecy in ACOS, when it was still bloody hot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACOS
There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land. Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield. He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

From a much-disputed translation of The Prophecies of the Dragon by the poet Kyera Termendal of Shiota, believed to have been published between FY 700 and FY 800
And then the second paragraph of the prologue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACOS, Lightnings
This high, an almost constant breeze lessened the unnatural heat gripping the world. The Feast of Lights past, snow should have covered the ground deep, yet the weather belonged in the depths of a hard summer. Another sign that the Last Battle approached and the Dark One touched the world, if more were needed. Elaida did not let the heat touch her even when she descended, of course. The breeze was not why she had had her quarters moved up here, despite the inconvenience of so many stairs, to these simple rooms.
Those are the only two times the weather went wonky. The first time, he fixed it himself, either by using the Eye or beating Ishamael or just because he was in the Blight and he was warm, or because he went to Someshta's place. Which might have been the real purpose of the Eye. The second time he was off in crazyland with Lews Therin (barring that brief moment without him which was, if anything, worse), so his girlfriends had to fix it for him.