Thread: Terez's reread
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

RJ really has a nice way of building to climaxes using a prelude of tedium and frustration. I get that some people don't have any appreciation for it, but I've noticed that he often uses a sort of recap style, sometimes covering a few days, before hitting you with the unexpected. (On first read anyway.) But there's a sort of cadence to the tedium and frustration.

I wanted to comment on this bit when I read it, but there were a few things that came to mind as to what exactly it foreshadowed. Now that I'm near the end with all the plotlines basically boiled down to one, save for a couple of diversions that are quite beautifully related, I'm sure it refers to the Aes Sedai (specifically the Black Ajah). I think the foreshadowing is direct, like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 26, Connecting Lines
Reene studied him a moment, then spread her skirts in another deep curtsy. "I will send [Elenia] to you, my Lord Dragon." Her back was stiff as she glided away, but it always was; there were no telling whether she believed a word.

"A crafty enemy," Caldin said heatedly before Reene had gone five paces, "will set a weak ambush you are meant to break through. Confident because you have dealt with the threat, your guard relaxed, you walk into the second, stronger ambush."

Right on top of Caldin, Nandera said in a cold voice, "Young men can be impetuous, young men can be rash, young men can be fools, but the Caríaícarn cannot let himself be a young man."
This is just after Rand was attacked by Fain's Whitecloaks, so it could refer to a second attack by Fain (Demira), but almost certainly refers on the larger scale to the Black Ajah manipulation of the two Aes Sedai embassies. Verin manipulated the one (making Fain unlikely for Demira), and Galina the other, presumably on orders. In Verin's defense, she was no doubt smart enough to know it would all turn out in Rand's favor, if not hers. After he fled Verin's manipulation in Caemlyn, and the magic number thirteen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 50, Thorns
But despite Shaido and nobles, Wise Ones and riot, despite wondering whether Fel was ever going to come back from fishing, those days seemed... pleasant. Refreshing. Maybe it was just because he had been so tired on arrival. And maybe it really was only by comparison with those last hours in Caemlyn, yet it did seem that Lews Therin was quieter. Rand even found himself enjoying Minís teasing enough that once or twice he had to remind himself that it was only teasing. By the time he had been ten days in Cairhien, he thought this would not be such a bad way to spend the rest of his life. Of course, he knew it could not last.
After that, RJ slips into a sort of omni-like approach, carrying over the narrative to Perrin's POV, almost like he did in TSR 9, but with proper breaks between POV shifts. "For Perrin those ten days were not pleasant at all..." and then back to Rand's POV, with "On the tenth day, Rand received another request from Coiren for an audience, just as politely worded as the first three." And of course we all know what happens next.

I find it interesting that he was very specifically not listening to the voice in his head. The voice that might have told him he was a fool to think he was sure how many Aes Sedai were in Cairhien when it had taken Min galloping across Caemlyn to warn him of the twelfth and thirteenth there. And that he was a fool to think a Red Amyrlin could be trusted half as far as any who stood against the Reds on principle. That he was a fool to trust Alviarin, or anyone who might be her 'friend'.

Back to reading.