Thread: Terez's reread
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

This is something that gets discussed a lot, but it's been a while for me, so I can't remember really what has been said before. There's not much to discuss, exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACOS, The Butcher's Yard
"One," Rand cut in. "And I will choose." Taim smiled, spreading his hands in acquiescence, but the scent of frustration nearly overwhelmed anger. Again Rand pointed without looking. "Him." This time, he seemed surprised to find he was pointing directly at a man in his middle years sitting atop an upturned cask on the other side of the wagon circle, paying no attention to the gathering around Rand. Instead, elbow on his knee and chin propped on his hand, he was frowning at the Aes Sedai prisoners. The sword and Dragon glittered on the high collar of his black coat. "What is his name, Taim?"

"Dashiva," Taim said slowly, studying Rand. He smelled even more surprised than Rand did, and irritated, too. "Corlan Dashiva. From a farm in the Black Hills."

"He will do," Rand said, but he did not sound sure himself.

"Dashiva is gaining his strength rapidly, but his head is in the clouds often as not. Even when it isn't, he is not always entirely there. Maybe he's just a daydreamer, and maybe the taint on saidin is touching his brain already. Better for you to chose Torval or Rochaid or - "

Taim's opposition seemed to sweep away Rand's uncertainty. "I said Dashiva will do. Tell him he's to come with me, then turn the prisoners over to the Wise Ones and go. I don't intend to stand here all day arguing. Perrin, ready everyone to move. Find me when they are."
I like how it was Taim's arguing that made Rand sure he had picked the right guy. He obviously knew Taim was trying to put one of his lackies on him.

How much did Taim know about him? We know that every man with the Dragon pin aside from Logain is a Darkfriend, and Taim only gave it to Logain because he knew he couldn't get away with keeping it from him. Was that because of his strength, or because of his fame? Strength doesn't seem a very likely reason for it, since I doubt all the Darkfriends just so happen to be the strongest, unless Taim has been killing off strong non-Darkfriends, or turning them and sending them to the Blightfortress or something.

If Taim knew he was a Darkfriend, then he had to also know he was a very high-ranking one, in the same way that Delana knew Aran'gar was high-ranking (even though she didn't know s/he could channel). Someone Taim couldn't expect to do what he wanted, or he wouldn't have been reluctant to send him.

I know that's the obvious interpretation, but I mainly brought it up because of the literary irony aspect, which I think was really well done. And of course, at this time, the reader doesn't know that every man with the Dragon pin is a Darkfriend; we find that out later from Logain.