Thread: Terez's reread
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I like ACOS and do not think it is a slow book, but I can see how some people get that impression. RJ used an overlap from Dumai's Wells, the aftermath, and then the walk/run into Cairhien for exposition, and it took them two whole chapters to get from the gateway to the Sun Throne. I liked it, but if you're really looking forward to what happens when they get there, it's probably pretty annoying.

I love this, in the middle of all the drama:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACOS 5, A Broken Crown
"There... there is no need for this, Master al'Thor." Her voice became slightly unsteady for a moment. "Or my Lord Dragon, if you prefer. I assure you, I harbor no ill intentions toward you. If I did, I would have struck before you knew I was here."

"You might well have died if you had," Rand’s voice was icy steel; his face made it seem soft. "I'm not who has you shielded, Aes Sedai. Who are you? Why are you here? Answer me! I don't have much patience with... your kind. Unless you want to be hauled out to the Aiel camp? I wager the Wise Ones can make you speak freely."

This Annoura was not slow-witted. Her eyes darted to Aram, then to the aisle where the Asha’man stood. And she knew. They had to be who he meant, in their black coats, grim faces dry when every other but hers and Rand’s glistened. Young Jahar was watching her like a hawk watching a rabbit. Incongruously, Loial stood in the midst of them with his axe propped against his shoulder. One big hand managed to hold an ink bottle and an open book, pressed awkwardly against his chest, while the other scribbled as fast as he could dip a pen fatter than Perrin’s thumb. He was taking notes. Here!
Loial is so awesome. And the anonymous moment for the Asha'man, too; this is the first time Rand has used them publicly for anything.

Also, I love that this chapter is in Perrin's POV, with Faile there. Gives a double-meaning to the chapter title that I'm quite sure was intentional. Also, I wondered before if The Amyrlin's Anger was really fulfilled, and remembering this chapter, I wonder even more. This one doesn't really work as a red herring, though, since Bashere mentioned the Broken Crown to Perrin.