View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
Not much of a fan of Perrin's plotline post Dumai's Wells either - although the Slayer confrontation was pretty awesome.

I am there with you, I tended to skim-read most of Perrin's plotlines in my reread of anything past Dumai's Wells. The last hunt beginning, fighting Slayer, and forging the hammer/battle are some of the few scenes I would intensely read. The Shaido's defeat was nice but I associate that with RJ taking way too long to wrap up Perrin rescuing Faile. I might be more forgiving if it did not take four books for Perrin to stop whining about being a leader.

Quote:
I think in both cases that it is RJ's flawed ability to effectively write out gender wars from the female perspective. Nynaeve, Elayne, Tuon, Faile, Berelain and all the secondary women around them (with very few exceptions...Birgitte, for example) are mindnumbingly annoying in their trite, stereotypical male-bashing characterization. Blech.

Is there a male writer who can effectively write the battle of the sexes? I think RJ had a decent premise, neither sex can understand the other completely, but then found every excuse to rearrange skirts and lift eyebrows (he got bogged down in the little strokes, and forgot about the entire painting).

Quote:
And I start CoS tomorrow.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinderís eye on the last Day."