View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default TDR: Ch. 21 - Verin Warns of the Dangers of...Anaiya?

Quote:
TITLE: Dragon Reborn
CHAPTER: 21 - A World of Dreams
Egwene almost dropped the ring. A ter'angreal? I am to keep a ter'angreal? Verin seemed not to notice her shock. "According to her, it eases the passage to Tel'aran'rhiod. She claimed it would work for those without Talent as well as for Aes Sedai, so long as you are touching it when you sleep. There are dangers, of course. Tel'aran'rhiod is not like other dreams. What happens there is real; you are actually there instead of just glimpsing it." She pushed back the sleeve of her dress, revealing a faded scar the length of her forearm. "I tried it myself, once, some years ago. Anaiya's Healing did not work as well as it should have. Remember that." The Aes Sedai let her sleeve cover the scar again.
In previous readings, I've always tied "Remember that" to Verin's warning Egwene of the danger of Tel'aran'rhiod. But in reading into Verin's words here, I like that Verin could be attempting to reveal truths but remaining true to her oaths to the Dark One. So, she tells a story about Tel'aran'rhiod, and its dangers, and then tells Egwene that the healing should have worked...but it didn't, the healing did not work as well as it should have. And Anaiya did it. Remember that. Anaiya healed her, but it didn't work. Why didn't it work? Because of T'A'R? Or because of Anaiya?

Verin's double-meaning statements seem like the obvious way around her dark oaths, and it is something she does often.