Thread: rand's reread
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 02:21 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

I didn't read much today, but I have a few thoughts.

First, there are some very strange somewhat-out-of-context quotes regarding Mistress al'Vere:

Quote:
tEotW 2
Toward Rand [Mistress al'Vere's] motherliness extended to warm smiles and a quick snack whenever he came by the inn, but she did as much for every young man in the area. If she occasionally looked at him as if she wanted to do more, at least she took it no further than looks, for which he was deeply grateful.
Quote:
tEotW 25
She was Ila, Raen's wife, a head taller than her husband, and she soon made Perrin forget about the color of her clothes. She had a motherliness that reminded him of Mistress al'Vere...
Incidentally, the second quote seems to jump out of Perrin's PoV for some reason.

Ok, so Ishamael sends Rand and the others into a dream version of, presumably, the Ways. Any reason why, or is it just a menacing environment Ishy likes? Rand asks an interesting question while he's in this dream. Are Mat and Perrin in there with him? Or does Ishamael have to stage three identical dreams back to back, basically just reading from a script?

I don't remember if this is answered in tSR, but why don't the Tinkers ever travel into the Two Rivers? And why are they there in tSR, then? (I'm thinking the second question is answered in tSR, but I don't remember).

On a related note, it's said that the Tinkers "cross the Waste all the time." Why? The Aiel don't interact with them at all, so they aren't trading or looking for the Song. So are they just chilling out there? My point is, it seems like a weird place to travel just for the hell of it. It's mentioned several times (in chapter 25) that they "cross" the Waste. I'm assuming this just sort of means criss-cross, but are they going all the way to Shara?

So, it seems pretty apparent now that the murdered group of Maidens must have stumbled upon the Town, and the Trollocs chased them down (somehow?) to preserve the secret. But what was that last surviving Maiden trying to say specifically? Basically all she says is that the DO plans to "blind the Eye of the World" and "slay the Great Serpent." Was Ishamael trying to find the Eye before the Dragon Reborn could, using the nearby Red Veils to search for it? And then have him, or the Red Veils, use it up before Rand could get there?