Thread: rand's reread
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 04:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
Finally, Loial tells Rand that he (Loial) doesn't have a Talent for seeing ta'veren. Is it possible for non-channelers to have Talents? Can Ogier have them?
Yes, yes and also no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH, Chapter 36, Among the Elders
Alar eyed them each in turn, then settled to a study of Rand. She looked as if she knew things; all the Elders did, but she most of all. "Verin says you are ta'veren," she said at last, "and I can feel it in you. That I can do so means that you must be very strongly ta'veren indeed, for such Talents ever run weakly in us, if at all. Have you drawn Loial, son of Arent son of Halan, into ta'maral'ailen, the Web the Pattern weaves around you?"
Apparently, Ogier don't "see" ta'veren, but "feel it in them", which explains the "no". They can have Talents, though not quite the same set as humans have (Tree Singing is one that humans don't seem to have, for instance), thus explaining the second "yes". And Ogier can't channel, which explains the first "yes".