Thread: rand's reread
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
First, why did RJ decide to write these scenes with all the weird flashbacks? I mean, I'm saying this mostly as a joke, and it isn't really confusing or anything, but it just seems like a very odd way to write the whole thing. Maybe RJ was trying to impart some of Rand and Mat's paranoia/confusion on the reader?
Something like that. It's a form of a fairly common literary device. I liked it, despite the confusion, but a lot of people didn't.

Quote:
I'm not really sure if we ever understand this fully, but can Myrrdraal essentially Travel through shadows? I know they apparently can for short distances, but can they hop all over Randland just by finding dark hallways and shadowy forests and stuff? Even if they can only Travel (or whatever it is they're doing) over short distances, they should be able to find Rand and Mat easily enough using this method. They'd just need to jump from shadowy tree to shadowy tree down the Caemlyn Road until they found them. Instead, they set up a network of the most incompetent DFs they could find and have them wait at various inns down the road. I mean, they're searching for the freaking Dragon Reborn! The best guy they could find to stop their mortal enemy is Paitr?!
Fades also get weak when they're too far away from Shayol Ghul for too long. I don't think they were necessarily using the most incompetent Darkfriends they could find; it's rather supposed to demonstrate that Darkfriends were already scared of Rand after what happened to Howal Gode, and it fell to Paitr to serve tea.

Quote:
Speaking of Paitr, when he touches Rand, Rand gets a weird vision/flashback thing of a bunch of the times Trollocs and Fades and DFs attacked them. Why does this happen? I was wondering if it was a tEotWism that made Rand see visions when he touched a DF, but only a few pages later Mili Skane touches him and nothing happens.
I think it was just a mundane flashback. Paitr touching him was an aggression, a sign of his desperation to follow his orders, and it just caused Rand to dwell a moment on the weight of his situation, being chased by everyone.

Quote:
In his fever dream, Rand dreams about pulling Thom along, and we get the first Fisher King reference (aside from the prophecy after the prologue, at least). I never really paid much attention to this before.
I think Rand's dreams of Thom hint at a deleted scene somewhere, where Thom told him about Owyn in more detail. It would explain the Fisher King reference, the queen being wed to the land, and the mention of the Black Ajah when no one in the story had yet mentioned any of those things to Rand. (See ch. 33.) All those details are connected to Owyn, especially since the Black was mentioned in connection with the Red.

Quote:
Just a random thought, but do Thom and Morgase ever meet up in the series? I don't think so, but can't really remember.
I can't recall if they met in the Brandon books, but I don't think they did. I know they didn't meet in the RJ books. But there's a nice scene in TFOH where he meets Bryne.

Quote:
I didn't remember from other reads that Loial had been to Cairhien, Tear, and Illian before going to Caemlyn. I forget if he makes any reference to these travels when he actually goes to Cairhien and Tear later.
He does, but not in great detail. For example, in Cairhien, he says that when he was there before, the area where Barthanes made his manor house (site of the old Ogier grove) was wooded.