Thread: rand's reread
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 12:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
When Ingtar and co. meet Urien, he says Verin's agelessness reminds him of the Wise Ones. Is this just a mistake? WOs don't get that without the Oath Rod, right?
People have attempted to explain this outside of it being a TGHism, but not convincingly IMO.

Quote:
This is possibly just coincidence, but since Galldrian's symbol is a stag, does the Stag and Lion in Baerlon refer to Cairhien and Andor?
It symbolizes the marriage of Robert and Cersei.

Quote:
How did Fain get the Trollocs into Cairhien and all the way to Barthanes' house without anyone seeing them? In the back of a cart or something?
As I mentioned before, Loial said the area was wooded before Barthanes's manor was built; there's probably not much around the area.

Quote:
A question about Perrin's eyes...Moiraine seems to know what's up right away after rescuing him in tEotW, and Elyas and his condition seem fairly well-known. So do most AS know that yellow eyes means a wolfbrother? Is it probably safe to assume that Verin, at least, knows?
It might not be the commonest knowledge, but yes.

Quote:
When talking about the Choedan Kal, Verin says one channeler alone couldn't use one to Break the World again. How does she know this? It's false, apparently, as Rand seems pretty capable of blowing up the world at the end of tGS.
RJ has said repeatedly that Aes Sedai are not always right, and they believe a lot of things that aren't true. I believe this specific example has been addressed in the metacanon.

Quote:
A few sentences later Verin also says that Logain isn't strong enough to channel the Choedan Kal. Regardless of whether or not this is true (he's pretty strong, right?), how would Verin have any way of knowing Logain's strength in the OP?
At this point she could know, in a general way, by way of the sisters who held his shield.

Quote:
The Waygate leaf works differently in this book (and maybe the others after, I'm not sure). In tEotW, Moiraine has to pull the leaf off and stick it somewhere else. But now all Rand does is take the leaf and the gates start to open.
Machin Shin was happy to see him.

Quote:
Why can the Black Wind escape now when it seemingly couldn't in tEotW?
It might not exactly be able to. Maybe it can only push the boundaries a bit. And since it got to know Fain, it absorbed Fain's compulsion to kill Rand, so maybe it's simply never been so compelled to try to get out before.

Quote:
Everyone's shocked that Fain can somehow control the Black Wind, despite the fact that Moiraine told them this in tEotW. Or they knew the Black Wind feared him, at least.
Big difference there.

Quote:
Did Galldrian really try to kill Thom? And with a guy that everyone apparently knows (for some reason) is Galldrian's assassin. I know there's the Great Game and all that, but it seems a bit odd. I guess my point is, did someone try to trick Thom into assassinating Galldrian? Maybe Verin wanted to create chaos in the DR's wake? Maybe Toram Riatin was around and wanted to off his brother (father? cousin? uncle?). Or maybe the innkeeper Zera lied about the whole thing because she doesn't like the king...
It was probably a great surprise to them that they weren't successful. I don't find it all that hard to believe that Galldrian wanted him killed.

Quote:
If Fain had the Black Wind blocking the Waygates, how did expect Rand to follow him?
See above. I don't think he necessarily gave it orders. That said, he's never been a very consistent person. We know he had an obsession with killing Rand personally, yet he sent his turned Whitecloaks to kill him in LOC. And thought to himself that he would have been angry if they had been successful.

Quote:
Why does Turak believe in Trollocs when Tuon and everyone else from Seanchan doesn't?
1) He had probably already heard tell of them from other Randlanders, and 2) he didn't necessarily believe. "I will have watch kept for your Trollocs and your Darkfriends, if they are not another lie."

Quote:
And finally...who killed Barthanes? Was it really just the gholam, as everyone seems to assume?
If so, it's a retcon explanation since I'm pretty sure RJ didn't come up with the gholam until LOC. Fain was always the obvious answer; the gholam theory was the search for another explanation.

Quote:
Also, assuming Rand wasn't hearing Trollocs hiding in the gardens behind Barthanes' house, who or what did he hear hiding back there?
Perhaps a guard with orders to watch.