View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
Yeah, I thought it might've worked better as a two-parter as well. The whole Asharius part kind of seems tacked on at the end, even though it's one of the main points of the story. Still, I thought this worked as an interesting sequel of sorts to Sarantine.

I'd also add Under Heaven to the list of best GGK books. Maybe not the top three, but probably fourth for me. I'd say Last Light of the Sun was probably the "weakest" book before Earth and Sky. Personally I hope he goes back to Asia again at some point.
I liked Last Light a lot more the last time I read it. I think it improves significantly with rereads.

I agree that the Asharius part felt massively rushed at the end. I think he easily could have done another 200-300 pages and had two 400 page books instead of 1 590 page book. This was the most "series of somewhat related short stories" type book he's ever done I think.

I loved Under Heaven too...easily up there with those other 3.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot