View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future
Default Callandor's ability to access the TP

One of the big mysteries of the ending is how Callandor came to be able to access the TP. This is a separate issue from the lack of a buffer, which we have an explanation for from RJ:

Quote:
JASON WOLFBROTHER
Was Callandor constructed during the War of Power?
ROBERT JORDAN
Yes.
JASON WOLFBROTHER
Was it used in the War of Power?
ROBERT JORDAN
Yes, that is how the flaw was discovered.
JASON WOLFBROTHER
Why didn't they ward/buffer Callandor?
ROBERT JORDAN
The flaw with Callandor is simply a manufacturing flaw. He went on to talk about how they were at the end of their tech age with only a few sho-wings and jo-cars left. A couple of shocklances were still around but they were not as prevalent as they had been. Anyway they had been mass producing ter'angreal, angreal, and sa'angreal, and there are bound to be flaws with the products. The flaw with Callandor is simply one such flaw.
This does not, however, explain the taint magnification or the TP access (which seem linked, since no other known sa'angreal was noted to magnify the taint). So here's my theory on it:

My theory has always been that Callandor was not originally a TP sa'angreal. Why?

Its ability to access the TP is unprecedented. Moridin is completely blindsided by its ability to do so. Rand, despite his memories from Lews Therin, who certainly know of Callandor as it was used in the War of Power, and must have known it was unbuffered (since, per RJ, this was a known flaw), was also shocked it could use the True Power.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. The lack of buffer was known during the War of the Power, before there was any taint for it to magnify. It certainly wasn't made to access the True Power, because True Power access was limited to 30 people, and none of them was fighting for the Light, especially at the very end of the War, when Callandor was made.

But Cadsuane somehow knows it can magnify the taint, from hidden Tower records. Which means this knowledge came after the Strike at Shayol Ghul, after there was a taint to magnify. My theory has always been that Callandor was modified to be used to clean up the taint from saidin to create the Eye of the World. My only "proof" is this paragraph, from Shadow Rising, when Rand is in the columns and is seeing Aes Sedai debate what to do with Callandor:

Quote:
“Then we will do what we must. The sword must wait. Someshta, we have a task for the last of the Nym, if you will do it. We have asked too much of you; now we must ask more.”
This is the one time we see Callandor on top of Lews Therin's Banner, that almost certainly made it to the Eye, and the Green Man is right there. The sword must wait on what? To me, the best guess seems to be: placing it in the Stone of Tear must wait on whatever they plan to ask of Someshta. We know what that is. Why must the sword wait? Perhaps, it needs to be modified so it can help these women and Kodam and his fellow young male Aes Sedai can use it to purge the taint from a giant chunk of saidin.

One of these Aes Sedai had the Fortelling, and we see others pressuring her to come up with more, so they can figure out when the Last Battle will be:

Quote:
“What good is your Foretelling,” Oselle was almost shouting, “if you cannot tell us when?” Her long black hair swayed as she shook with anger. “The world rests on this! The future! The Wheel itself!” Dark-eyed Deindre faced her with a more usual calm. “I am not the Creator. I can only tell you what I Foretell.”
“Can we trust Kodam and his fellows, Solinda?” “We must, Oselle. They are young and inexperienced, but barely touched by the taint, and. . . . And we have no choice.” “Then we will do what we must. The sword must wait. Someshta, we have a task for the last of the Nym, if you will do it. We have asked too much of you; now we must ask more.”
It seems pretty clear to me that this group of Aes Sedai was in the know about some of the most crucial Prophesies in the Karaethon Cycle, since one of them seems to have actually had some of those Prophesies. They were also the ones responsible for sending the Aiel to safety on the pretext of caring for the objects of Power. They knew the Green Man, and clearly gave him the task of holding the Eye, from which we can surmise this was the group of Aes Sedai who made the Eye. As the Green Man tells us of them:

Quote:
“It was the first days of the Breaking of the World, when the joy of victory over the Dark One turned bitter with the knowledge that all might yet be shattered by the weight of the Shadow. A hundred of them made it, men and women together. The greatest Aes Sedai works were always done so, joining saidin and saidar, as the True Source is joined. They died, all, to make it pure, while the world was torn around them. Knowing they would die, they charged me to guard it against the need to come. It was not what I was made for, but all was breaking apart, and they were alone, and I was all they had. It was not what I was made for, but I have kept the faith.”
Since Solinda and her group gave the charge to Someshta, and Someshta tells us the same group that asked him to guard the Eye made the Eye, it follows that Solinda and co. made the Eye.

Yet, they also had Callandor with them. Callandor, strongly warded and placed in the Stone of Tear, of which the Companion says:

Quote:
It was said to be the earliest fortress built after the Time of Madness, and said by some to have been built during the Time of Madness, made with the One Power soon after the Breaking of the World.
I think this group did three things:
1)They altered Callandor to access the True Power. I think they did this to be able to cleanse the taint from enough of saidin to make the Eye of the World. I suspect they used its ability to magnify the taint to collect enough of it and cancel it, giving their lives up to do so. Since the taint is the essence of the Dark One, modifying Callandor to make it magnify the taint also made it able to magnify the True Power.

2) They hid the Dragon Banner and one of the Seals as well as the Horn of Valere under the Eye of the World.

3) They created, or more likely, gave the task to some of their number, the Stone of Tear, and warded Callandor in there because their Foretelling indicated it had a major role to play in the end, and maybe they even knew its ability to magnify the Taint would play a role.

The wards around Callandor contained saidin and saidar, which means they had men to help them. If the Stone was made after the Breaking, it is tough to see how this was achieved. But if it happened during the Breaking, it is possible to see a path. Maybe these women worked with young men only. Maybe some of these men even went to the Stedding to stay sane while waiting till the Eye was made and Callandor was ready to be warded inside a fortress.

This is my theory of how the TP access came to be. Thoughts?