View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
If a bunch of little kids dying didn't change the gun control debate, I doubt a few score concert goers dying will.

As sad as that is.

Brexit is an absolute disaster and May will likely be gone as PM before much longer due to her idiocy. Boris will be gone as Foreign Secretary too...and he seemingly wants to be gone from that role right now.

Catalonia is acting selfishly and stupidly and they broke a bunch of laws. On the other hand, Spain's crackdown on the referendum was just as stupid.

Oh and its sad that Tom Petty died.

Did I miss anything else during my two weeks on holiday in Scotland?
Admittedly, accomplishing anything, no matter how sensible, does seem impossible at present with gun control, but one still can’t help but think that there are some basic concessions that even hardened gun worshippers should agree to - like making accessories that convert legal semi-automatics into fully automatics should be illegal, and that every legal gun purchase must be registered, so that in instances where an individual amasses, as this man did, 47 guns, the FBI should kick down his door and arrest him upon an overwhelming presumption of ill-intent.

It’s not like I’m asking that we just make all guns illegal and melt them all down. I mean that would obviously be the logical and prudent thing to do, but ‘Merica clearly isn’t a land that values logic or prudence.

As for Catalonia, this situation seems, at least to me, to have gone far beyond selfish pique. Spain has acted so egregiously heavy-handed, that I would have to imagine that even many who would have otherwise opposed secession, now are fed up with Spain because of how abusive and violent the attempt to supress the referendum was. Compare that to how Britain handled the secession movement with Scotland, or how Canada handled their issues in the past with Quebec. What Spain is doing seems reminiscent, indeed far worse, than the way that China has been cracking down on Hong Kong. Admittedly, we acted pretty forcibly to stop South Carolina and the rest of the rebels ourselves once upon a time, but Spain hasn’t the same noble justification that we had. And let’s be blunt if South Carolina and the rest of the Confederacy asked to leave again, I’d gleefully celebrate their departure. And I doubt that I would be alone in that sentiment.

Spain just seems intent on ensuring that Catalonia appears to the whole world the victim, and that they seem like the abusive drunken pos that deserves to be served with the divorce papers.