View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Well, it's hard to draw a direct connection since he started getting paranoid a few books before the Fain wound.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Firstly, its difficult to say where "more conscious of his position" ends and "paranoid" begins. Once he became a ruler and a king, he was forced to grow up fast, and part of that is using people. Paranoia is a whole different phenomenon.

Second, look at the acceleration of the paranoia. For all that he seems off his rocker in tDR, it doesn't get any worse than a desire to outpace his enemies, and the emotional stress of not knowing whether he's the Dragon Reborn must come into play. He doesn't get any worse after taking Callandor.

The snapping point is obviously his being boxed up, and the attack by the rogue Asha'man. But after he hunts them down, you would expect him to take on a more active role again. After all, he's perfectly cognizant of the danger he's in from enemy forces throughout the books, as he consistently demonstrates by sending away the people he loves. He's always suspicious of Taim and the Asha'man thanks to LTT, but since the attack he's been in hiding. He doesn't trust anyone. His anger problems manifest themselves just before Fain attacks him, and they get much worse.

It just seems as though everything accelerates and worsens and a much more rapid pace. Plus I highly doubt Brandon would have mentioned it if it wasn't playing a more-than-incidental role

Another theory: its Rand's wound from Ishy that allows him to access the TP!