View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
the 'to hold their hearts' bit would make a bit more sense for the actions that happened in tSR though
Well, that was why Rand did it. It was pretty much the only part of it that he could force to make sense, though.

What bothered me about that was Rand's arrogance in assuming that he had any clue what that prophecy meant, and that he could just make it happen. The truth in the ancient dream one....he didn't just pull that out of thin air, really. He had good hints that Rhuidean was a 'lost and forsaken' city, and leading the spears to war made a great deal of sense at that point, especially since Rand knew that clan chiefs were marked by dragons, and that the Aiel use spears exclusively (though he didn't know why yet). He knew that the Aiel 'dance the spear'. He had just learned that he was important to the Aiel prophecies, and that they were the 'People of the Dragon'.

Rand thought he was being clever when he made the literary analogy between the Heart of the Stone and the prophecy, and he found a way to make 'hold their hearts' make sense. But that was all he had.

Perhaps Justice will be what holds their hearts, via Tuon. I imagine that Tuon will be rather freaked out about the Dragon Reborn being dead. But perhaps she will be able to rally the troops with some line about Rand's spirit living on through the sword or something. She might be in on the secret of Nynaeve ripping him out; the dream Egwene had of Rand confronting her, and the women with her, and one of them is a Seanchan. I figure this will be after Nynaeve rips him out, and part of why Egwene will be pissed is because she just lost her Warder. I dunno - there are a bunch of different ways it could play out.

Mat will be in the mix at some point or another, with the Horn, but I believe that by the time they get around to blowing the Horn, Rand will probably have been ripped out. There's another Jesus parallel there, with the women going to the tomb to see Jesus' body, and the body being gone, with angels there to tell them that this was a good thing because it means that Jesus is alive. The paper puppet in the Logain dream symbolizes that Rand's not going to be dead forever, and he's not going to come back in that body either. But because everyone knows Rand is dead, that leaves Logain free to do his thing with the Asha'man at the Black Tower. I don't expect that until A Memory of Light, but I could be wrong.

There is another possibility, for the Gawyn will kill Rand theory - that Rand will choose to Sheathe the Sword rather than kill Gawyn. It's harder to see how that would work, though. Rand thought of that, as he was fighting Ishamael; he used Heron Wading in the Rushes, which led to the Camlann-ish double-mortal-wounding thing, because Heron Wading in the Rushes leaves you wide open. But it does involve a thrust to the heart:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - The Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 47 - The Grave Is No Bar to My Call

It was another voice he heard then. Lan's voice. There will come a time when you want something more than you want life. Ingtar's voice. It is every man's right to choose when to Sheathe the Sword. The picture formed of Egwene, collared, living her life as a damane. Threads of my life in danger. Egwene. If Hawkwing gets into Falme, he can save her. Before he knew it, he had taken the first position of Heron Wading in the Rushes, balanced on one foot, sword raised high, open and defenseless. Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain.

Ba'alzamon stared at him. "Why are you grinning like an idiot, fool? Do you not know I can destroy you utterly?"

Rand felt a calmness beyond that of the void. "I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I'm sure of it. Come. It is time to die."

Ba'alzamon's eyes widened; for an instant they were furnaces that put sweat on Rand's face. The blackness behind Ba'alzamon boiled up around him, and his face hardened. "Then die, worm!" He struck with the staff, as with a spear.

Rand screamed as he felt it pierce his side, burning like a white-hot poker. The void trembled, but he held on with the last of his strength, and drove the heron-mark blade into Ba'alzamon's heart. Ba'alzamon screamed, and the dark behind him screamed. The world exploded in fire.
So maybe it will go like that. Rand lost Tam's sword in that incident, but Gawyn isn't surrounded by a fog of the True Power, so Justice should make it out okay. And Gawyn gets to kill Rand via cutting into his already-double-Mordred wound?

Last edited by Terez; 05-03-2010 at 10:38 PM.