View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 03:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
Hugin and Munin translate to "Thought" and "Memory" in English, hence the inscription on Matt's spear. While Odin was hanging from the World Tree the settled on his shoulders to peck at him and whispered secrets in his ear, which is why I believe the dream refers to Matt hanging from the Tree of Life to gain Thought and Memory.
That might be good reasoning if not for the fact that RJ tends to twist parallels, and spread them over several events. Also, Egwene's dream was in Lord of Chaos, well after Mat got the ashandarei. None of her other dreams have been about the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless
The consensus of everyone else seems to be that dreams follow symbolism set up within the series itself rather than the Norse mythology the books draw upon....
I don't see how you come to that conclusion about the 'consensus'. I think that the ravens in that particular dream refer to both Odin's ravens and the Seanchan tattoos. The only reason I haven't been discussing the former much is because it doesn't have much relevance to the plot.