View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I'm guessing Harriet made that decision early on, so the whole charade about the viewing was planned.
I guess you're right. I already thought that one sounded as a likely candidate for one of those instances where RJ was undecided and wrote down "I could do this, or I could do that, or that" about.

He could have killed Siuan in the rescue, thus making Bryne a dead man walking from that point. It would have made a great option, should he have decided the best way to go was to make the nomination of the GC to lead a battlefield each feel immediately ominous to the readers but not the characters, increasing the reader's feeling of deep need/desire to get Mat back north.

Not such a great avenue to take for the 3-books version, though. Bryne as a dead man walking and still in charge of the WT armies, plus the darkness around Bashere, plus the fact Graendal had previously used Ituralde and the other leaders of the factions/armies in AD much as she would the GC was pretty much way too much foreshadowing to leave to the HCFFs to chew on collectively for years.

The way Siuan's death happened gave the feeling RJ had left her exact fate up in the air (I'm not saying he would never have killed her this way, more that it was one of those things that served the mood/tone much more than plot development). I'd be far more surprised to learn that Gawyn's death or Egwene's death or even Birgitte's death were decided by TJ rather than RJ.