View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
It's possible that she saw the Horn as a useful thing to have in her arsenal, but she may have not even believed it could work. iirc, most AoLers didn't. OP is science, a Horn that summons dead heroes whose existence was probably mostly legend to begin with? that's magic. Personally, I think that she saw it more as a symbol of power rather than powerful itself (whatever her beliefs on its power). Something to use as a symbol/idea, not a real-world weapon. Like she used it with Rand: a source of temptation. Probably to push him towards glory, but also towards saidin and herself. Temptation comes in many forms.

And:
You know you have a dirty mind if you saw 'Lanfear's Horn...' and were disapointed to find out that it's actually about a horn.
I disagree that Lanfear doubted the Horn would work. It's an object of Power. Lanfear was used to objects being imbued with seemingly impossible powers, and I doubt she understood ever object she used, beyond learning how to use it. It is clear the Dark One wants the Horn considering how TGH begins, and if the Dark One wants it, then Lanfear would want to keep it out of his hands. Additionally, Lanfear sees it as a means to her end: to challenge the glory of the Dark One side by side with the reincarnation of Lews Therin as her lover. Her reaction to the Horn is more than a temptation for Rand; it's clear she can feel the power it contains, as does Agelmar. In fact, her desire for it is so real and intoxicating, she breaks from her planned script when she requests that they stop so she can hold it again, actually demands they stop.

I wonder if there is something about the Horn that darkfriends can sense which others cannot...like bees to honey.