View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default I don't think it would be contrived at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchang813 View Post
Hmmmm, no, I don't think they would break ji'e'toh like this. They would just tell Aviendha straight up. Why bother with this charade?

Unless the dream demanded this? Which would be pretty darn contrived don't you think?

I am 99% sure this is not an Aiel at all.

Who else it could be is anyone's guess.

Verin maybe but again she is THAT much of a busybody? And how did she even FIND Aviendha while simultaneously giving out letters to all these people . . . I don't know if logistically or thematically it makes sense for her to do this.

It HAS to be someone who has a vested interest in the Aiel's future, who cares about them, and it has to be someone who is NOT Aiel so he/she can provide the invaluable perspective of an outsider.

I just don't know.

Dennis
First, I think the Wise Ones are wise. Second, we have seen a mysterious lack of the results of dreamwalking compared to what we saw regarding Aviendha's future in TDR and TSR. Third, Aviendha's decisions have obvious import to the Aiel and to the Wise Ones and they are very very invested in Aviendha. It is highly likely they read that she would go to Rhuidean and come back to them unchanged, and without that change the Aiel would be destroyed. And what we are now seeing is a product of how they believed she needed to be approached to get the results they needed to save their people.

Of course, their dreamwalking demanded it - they are dreamwalkers and from what we experienced in TDR and TSR, they are quite good and powerful. I can't imagine they were not involved in something so key regarding the remnant of a remnant of their people. In fact, I'm quite sure the Aiel Wise Ones are the most knowledgeable about this entire event (Last Battle and the Aiel) outside of the Wheel and the Dark One. Considering all of the other harmony written into this Pattern, this would resonate quite well from everything we've seen up to this point.

A final thought - I wouldn't be surprised if this was part of an apprentices trip to Rhuidean, to be approached in such a way as to question their purpose and prepare them to become a Wise One. Everything said there feels practiced, prepared and poignant, meant to make the apprentice consider the Aiel's place in the world. But that's not necessary, just a thought.

Everyone else that can be picked will have to feel contrived because motivation is missing and opportunity will have to be crafted. The Wise Ones have motivation, opportunity and means all built into the books.

Although, I think Lanfear and Verin are fun to play with as it is clear to me what happens here happens in a dream. I wouldn't be surprised by either, but certainly the Wise Ones are one of a handful of choices.

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 10-30-2010 at 12:29 AM.