View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I actually find it funny because it annoys Watson so much and Holmes has always been fairly asexual anyway.
I'm not so sure he was intended to be asexual. If I finish the books I might have a better idea, but apparently the only woman who ever made an impression on him was an opera diva, which has its own sort of subtext about which whole books have been written. In the books, Poe's "Murders at the Rue Morgue" is mentioned early on; that's another two-man mystery team with lots of established subtext.

19th century subtext is like a code language; you have to be in the know to pick up on it, and there's a whole branch of literary criticism/ queer theory devoted to just that.