View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
It's been a long, long time since I've read them so I will defer to you on that part of it. I never picked up on it but then I wasn't really looking for it. What struck me most was his passion for the mystery and outsmarting someone (something Cumberbatch portrays quite well) and his substance abuse of course.

Perhaps they were "confirmed bachelors"...
Watson was not. That's one major thing that differs between Holmes/Watson and Dupin/narrator of "Murders in the rue Morgue".

England was probably the most punitive country in Western Europe in terms of homosexuality at that time and for at least a century previous. The Oscar Wilde incident occurred during the middle of the publication years for the Sherlock Holmes stories, but Wilde was evidence of an encroaching liberal attitude in England; not too long before, homosexuality was often punished by death. And of course, Alan Turing happened years after the Holmes stories were done. (Another Cumberbatch role, as it happens.)

In other words, you weren't supposed to pick up on it.