Thread: rand's reread
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 03:03 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Ok, theory time. I've never heard of this theory before, which means I must be the first to think of it.

I have heard people mention that maybe Mat is King Aemon reborn. Which is silly, of course. But what if Mat is Caar reborn? All of a sudden it's sounding pretty juicy. Huh? Huh?

LOL. Seriously though, this is a theory I just came up with that most likely is of no importance anyway now that the series is over with. But anyway...

Mat = Caar al Thorin al Toren reborn

First, I'll quote Moiraine's story about Aridhol, since I tend to forget most of this part right after reading it:
Quote:
tEotW 19
"Once it was called Aridhol," Moiraine replied, "and was one of the Ten Nations, the lands that made the Second Covenant, the lands that stood against the Dark One from the first days after the Breaking of the World. In the days when Thorin al Toren al Ban was King of Manetheren, the King of Aridhol was Balwen Mayel, Balwen Ironhand. In a twilight of despair during the Trolloc Wars, when it seemed the Father of Lies must surely conquer, the man called Mordeth came to Balwen's court."

"Before Mordeth had long been in the city he had Balwen's ear, and soon he was second only to the King. Mordeth whispered poison in Balwen's ear, and Aridhol began to change. Aridhol drew in on itself, hardened. It was said that some would rather see Trollocs come than the men of Aridhol. The victory of the Light is all. That was the battlecry Mordeth gave them, and the men of Aridhol shouted it while their deeds abandoned the Light."

"The story is too long to tell in full, and too grim, and only fragments are known, even in Tar Valon. How Thorin's son, Caar, came to win Aridhol back to the Second Covenant, and Balwen sat his throne, a withered shell with the light of madness in his eyes, laughing while Mordeth smiled at his side and ordered the deaths of Caar and the embassy as Friends of the Dark. How Prince Caar came to be known as Caar One-Hand. How he escaped the dungeons of Aridhol and fled alone to the Borderlands with Mordeth's unnatural assassins at his heels. How there he met Rhea, who did not know who he was, and married her, and set the skein of the Pattern that led to his death at her hands, and hers by her own hand before his tomb, and the Fall of Aleth-Loriel. How the armies of Manetheren came to avenge Caar and found the gates of Aridhol torn down, no living things inside the walls, but something worse than death. No enemy had come to Aridhol but Aridhol. Suspicion and hate had given birth to something that fed on that which created it, something locked in the bedrock on which the city stood. Mashadar waits still, hungering. Men spoke of Aridhol no more. They named it Shadar Logoth, the Place Where the Shadow Waits, or more simply Shadow's Waiting."

"Mordeth alone was not consumed by Mashadar, but he was snared by it, and he, too, has waited within these walls through the long centuries. Others have seen him. Some he has influenced through gifts that twist the mind and taint the spirit, the taint waxing and waning until it rules...or kills. If ever he convinces someone to accompany him to the walls, to the boundary of Mashadar's power, he will be able to consume the soul of that person. Mordeth will leave, wearing the body of the one he worse than killed, to wreak his evil on the world again."
Not sure if all that's really necessary, but whatever. My theory is that the ruby dagger was Mordeth's personal dagger, and that he used it to cut off Caar's hand. The fact that Mat's soul had already been influenced by the dagger would explain a few things.

First, it's possible that Mat grabbing the dagger caused Mordeth to stop attacking them in the treasure room. Mordeth freaks out when they mention Tar Valon, then starts to swell up after Rand announces he has no shadow. Mordeth swells up to attack, and everyone dives back on the treasure. Then Mordeth let's out an "agonized scream," shrinks, and goes flying through the crack in the wall. Rand looks at Mat several times in this scene, and it's pretty clear Mat didn't have the dagger until just before super Mordeth screamed and blew up. The point is that Mat picking up the dagger--and that dagger specifically--somehow affected Mordeth. I'm not so sure it was a physical thing so much as Mordeth somehow was able to recognize who had picked up that specific dagger, and it scared him away. His "You're all dead!" cries make sense if you assume he's referring to Caar and the embassy.

Second, Moiraine mentions that she is surprised how long Mat managed to survive with the dagger once she meets him in Caemlyn. Well, sort of: "It is a wonder you got this far, carrying this." Perhaps the fact that his soul is already connected to the dagger has something to do with the fact that he can hold off its effects for a substantial period of time.

And finally, Mat is still immune to the dagger at the end of aMoL. There's probably a better explaination for why this is, but again, it could be his connection to Caar.

I'm wondering who Rhea is, if anyone. Or what Aleth-Loriel is, aside from shampoo. Maybe they have parallels in Mat's life? Getting chased by unnatural assassins sounds familiar, at least.

Also, FWIW, Moiraine's whole story is very LOTRy. A lot of the names are dwarven (Thorin, Toren, Ironhand--and of course these are probably Norse as well) or Elven (Aleth-Loriel). And the writing, particularly the long third paragraph, sounds like something straight from Tolkien. Not sure if any of this means anything, though.

Well, that's it I guess. Probably pretty stupid, but I just thought of it and I don't think anyone else has.

EDIT: I almost forgot to add the most obvious bit of evidence. Carr's name begins with "ca" and so does Cauthon. So that proves it right there.

Last edited by rand; 08-01-2014 at 03:10 AM. Reason: I don't have to tell if I don't want to...