Thread: rand's reread
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 02:18 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

I didn't get around to much reading today, so I'll just post a few things regarding the tGH prologue.

I know RJ uses a lot of references to Arthurian Legend, but Jaichim Carridin's alias Bors doesn't seem to have much of a parallel with Sir Bors. Though admittedly I don't know much about him. He gets killed by the rabbit in Monty Python, I think.

Ishamael tells everyone that the room they're in is near Shayol Ghul. So is there an actual house there? Is this supposed to be the same building Ishamael kept making Rand visit in the dreams from tEotW? I'm guessing Ishamael's Blight fortress from ToM is further away from Shayol Ghul than this.

Bors is able to tell one guy is from the Sea Folk because of tattoos on his hands, but beyond that he thinks the guy could be anyone from anywhere. But wouldn't he be black skinned?

I mentioned before that Ishamael may have needed Shaidar Haran's presence in order to appear at Shadar Logoth. Not sure if that's true at all, but the two of them appear here together...

Saying "Ba'alzamon" is apparently just as bad as saying "Shai'tan" (for DFs, at least). And come to think of it, how do people learn that the DO's name is Shai'tan anyway? If so few people say it, a Randland version of the telephone game could have drastically changed his name over the millennia (say, from Steven).

Does Ishamael know that Mat and Perrin are ta'veren, or otherwise massively important, at this point? He wants all three men killed (or maybe not; he seems a little confused on that point), but he doesn't tell the DFs which one is the actually DR. Anyway, why does Ishamael still care about Mat and Perrin? He could just have Ingtar or Liandrin kill them both easily.

Finally, I wanted to make a list of the people at the Darkfriend Ice Cream Social to see which ones we can identify (which isn't too many, at least for certain):
Bors Jaichim Carridin
Illianer noblewoman ?
Gray-cloaked 'figure' of unknown gender No idea. S/he's talking to the Illianer noblewoman, FWIW
Shienaran soldier Ingtar
Someone from Kandor ?
Someone from Cairhien Barthanes? I'm sure there's more from here, though.
Someone from Saldaea Kadere?
Someone from Ghealdan ?
A Tinker male ? I don't think Aram was a DF...
A High Lord of Tear Weiramon?
Andorran Officer in Queen's Guards Daved Hanlon?
Sea Folk male ?
Black Ajah 1 Liandrin
Black Ajah 2 ? (could be anyone, unless Alviarin mentions being here and I forgot...)

So Carridin, Ingtar, and Liandrin are the only ones we know for sure (I think).