View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
I think the recklessness in KoD was RJs way of hanging a lantern on Min's viewing about Elaynes babies.
Well, KoD provided a scenario in which Min's viewing could come true in the worst way possible: Elayne could still have given birth to healthy babies while held captive by the Black Ajah. So that really should have been a wake-up call that she shouldn't stake everything on that viewing.

I think Elayne's storyline in the later books would have been far more tolerable without the pregnancy. Her relationship with Rand was never believable in the first place, but even less so when she neglected to tell him about her pregnancy, despite knowing he could die any day. Even when Rand completely lost hope in TGS, talking about how much he wished he could leave something good behind, it never occurred to either Min or Aviendha to tell him he was going to be a father (of six children, no less). I get why it couldn't happen—Rand had to hit rock bottom in TGS—but it still made it seem like Rand was just a sperm donor they didn't particularly care about. It's one of the series' biggest flaws, IMO: too often, people behave stupidly just because the plot wouldn't work if everyone acted rationally and shared important information.