View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Both Greece and Turkey were already NATO members in 1974 when Cyprus descended into civil war, and neither side was exactly in the right. The Greek Cypriots were more responsible for starting it, as they initiated essentially a coup d'etat, and then the Turk Cypriots convinced Turkey to intervene to stop the coup. Greece was irate, but NATO couldn't really do anything, but the Greeks were pissed enough (mainly because the Turks expelled most of the majority Greek Cypriot population from Northern Cyprus when they seized the northern part of the island in their invasion), that they withdrew from NATO, and didn't rejoin until 1980, but what else could they do? Ask the rest of NATO to declare war on NATO-member Turkey? That clearly couldn't happen. More should have been done for the Greek Cypriots though.

Erdogan could, I suppose, by viewed as in violation of Article 2 of the North Atlantic Treaty.

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Nor...eaty#Article_5
Greece didn't technically leave NATO, they just left the integrated NATO military infrastructure. They did the same thing that France did when de Gaulle took them out of in the 60s.

Speaking of Greece, if we allowed a military dictatorship to run Greece while they were in NATO and some other questionable governments from other countries (Italy's approximate 5,404 different gov't in the past 50 years come to mind), its hard to kick Erdogan out at this point...and if we were to do so, it would probably open the door to a Turkish/Russian alliance. Do we really want that sort of relationship? Using a stick similar to what was used back then (economic sanctions and a ban on weapons sales to Turkey) could work as well. Better to keep the Turks close than push them down a path to either further Islamic extremism or a closer relationship with Russia.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot