View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Youngling

the_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
I don't know about that
Really? So the fact that Fain did not mention seeing multiple Myrddraal until the Shadar Logoth incident does not imply to you that there was only one Fade he reported to at this time (as he deliberately tells Moiraine)? Does it mean anything to you that Moiraine specifically says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ

The Eye of the World
CHAPTER 47: More Tales of the Wheel

"Fain told me everything, Rand. Or almost everything. I believe he managed to hold back something, something important, despite all I could do, but he said enough."
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ

The Eye of the World
CHAPTER 47: More Tales of the Wheel

"Fain spoke the truth as he saw it," Moiraine said. "He could not lie to me, though he hid much.
Will you hang onto the part about the fact that Fain "hid much" and ascribe that to holding back from Moiraine such a mundane and unimportant fact as how many Myrddraal he was used by?

Remember, at this point in the story, Moiraine doesn't openly suspect what happened between Fain and Mordeth. It's very likely that the information she detected as "hidden" from her by Fain (under the influence of whatever she did to him - another subject altogether) was his connection with Mordeth. In fact, I'd go so far as to offer the hypothesis that Fain (still a distinct personality at this point, though Mordeth would see to this being rectified soon - as he states explicitly in the previous chapter) was the one doing all the talking in his private encounter here with Moiraine during this chapter and that Mordeth made himself dormant so as to avoid being "compelled" (Mordeth's word - during the group scene after Fain's capture in the previous chapter) by Moiraine. Though Mordeth intermittently shows himself through his dialogue when first brought before the group-at-large in Fal Dara, he clearly retreats (leaving Fain in full 'control') when Moiraine suggests to Agelmar that speaking with him in private may be prudent.

I wish I could just cut-n-paste the whole 2 chapter encounter. It's freakin' amazing. I believe that there is a great deal to be gleaned from this (and several other TEotW chapters) regarding how AMoL will turn out. I've got theories brewing, certainly. I highly suggest checking it out if you've got the book with you.

Back to the original point - to each his/her own on most of this theorizing. I can't make a better case, that's for damn sure.