art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold
Default Atlanta Signing

I went to one of the two Atlanta area signings yesterday. It was the evening one.

Got there an hour and a half late. Had to get home from work, take care of man/daddy duties (have a stressed out woman and 3 kids at home), do dinner, etc.

Got there just as they were starting to sign books. Waited for about an hour to get mine signed.

BS wrote "Peace favor your sword" and signed over his name.

Harriet wrote "Best, Harriest McDougal".

Unfortunately I missed the reading/talking/Q&A session. I did get to ask a question Terez put me up to. His answer was no, Heros of the Horn are not always tavern at all in their lifetimes when spun out. Sometimes, they even live normal lives and don't do anything extraordinary, like they sometimes spend their lives as farmers, etc.

Harriet liked the Monty Python Black Knight t-shirt I wore. "just a flesh wound"
Old 11-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard
Unfortunately I missed the reading/talking/Q&A session. I did get to ask a question Terez put me up to. His answer was no, Heros of the Horn are not always tavern at all in their lifetimes when spun out. Sometimes, they even live normal lives and don't do anything extraordinary, like they sometimes spend their lives as farmers, etc.
Hmm, I'm not sure if that answers the question or not. In the lives where they are not ta'veren - for instance, a life lived as a farmer where they don't do anything extraordinary - could they still be seen as being 'corrective mechanisms'? I guess I should have asked you to ask the second phrasing of the question instead of the first.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Hmm, I'm not sure if that answers the question or not. In the lives where they are not ta'veren - for instance, a life lived as a farmer where they don't do anything extraordinary - could they still be seen as being 'corrective mechanisms'? I guess I should have asked you to ask the second phrasing of the question instead of the first.
Matoyak also asked about Heroes and ta'veren -- Brandon's answer there was more direct; Heroes are NOT always Ta'veren, they are corrective mechanisms on thier own.

Basically what I've been saying for years: Heroes Do, Ta'veren just Are.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
Basically what I've been saying for years: Heroes Do, Ta'veren just Are.
Actually, that seems to be the opposite of what BS is saying.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Actually, that seems to be the opposite of what BS is saying.
Oh?

What exactly is it that Ta'veren Do?

Rj said that sometimes HoTH are spun out for mundane incarnations where they aren't required to be Heroic. What has Brandon said that is any different other than explicitly saying that Heroes don't have to be ta'veren to be a corrective mechanism?

Old 11-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Oh?

What exactly is it that Ta'veren Do?
Depends on the ta'veren - they Do lots of stuff. But their specific ta'veren influence just alters chance - it's emphasized many times that there is always a balance, and to the point that it was an extreme oddity that Rand only caused negative ta'veren effects in Arad Doman. Point is, BS says that Heroes are corrective mechanisms just by being who they are, and in some lives, they don't do anything extraordinary. We should probably get someone to ask him if Heroes are still corrective mechanisms in these lives where they don't Do anything.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

If it hasn't been asked by this Saturday I'll ask since it is my faction and all

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 11-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Depends on the ta'veren - they Do lots of stuff. But their specific ta'veren influence just alters chance - it's emphasized many times that there is always a balance, and to the point that it was an extreme oddity that Rand only caused negative ta'veren effects in Arad Doman. Point is, BS says that Heroes are corrective mechanisms just by being who they are, and in some lives, they don't do anything extraordinary. We should probably get someone to ask him if Heroes are still corrective mechanisms in these lives where they don't Do anything.
I can't believe you really have this much trouble understanding the concept.

It doesn't matter what Ta'veren Do, their effect on the Pattern comes from their simple presence.

Heroes do Heroic Things. Heroic Things are not always recognised as such, so sometimes Heroes live their entire incarnations as 'quiet heroes' without being "the stuff of legends" -- or maybe they just get spun out for a potential correction that doesn't develop as predicted so Heroic Things aren't required.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Elder

Yuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really nice

Quote:
(in my best robotic voice)

Sometimes the only winning move is...not to play.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I can't believe you really have this much trouble understanding the concept.
I can't believe you're having this much trouble comprehending what I'm actually writing. Oh wait, yeah I can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH
It doesn't matter what Ta'veren Do, their effect on the Pattern comes from their simple presence.
False, as easily seen from the RJ quote about Darkfriend ta'veren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH
Heroes do Heroic Things.
Except in those lives where, as BS said, they don't do anything extraordinary at all.

Oh, and JWB, you don't have to ask for the sake of your faction - that's already proven correct, just by the wording, IIRC (I at least know that Callie's faction is already proven incorrect, as it makes the assumption that Heroes are always ta'veren at some point in each life). This is just about further understanding how, exactly, Heroes are corrective mechanisms.

Last edited by Terez; 11-15-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:

Except in those lives where, as BS said, they don't do anything extraordinary at all.
I don't ever recall reading anything that says Heroes HAVE to be Heroic. A Hero of the Horn is someone who did something so incredible it warranted having his Soul saved, to be Reborn again in a specific manner. Just because that manner doesn't involve saving the world doesn't mean the soul is no longer a Hero. I don't think its ever been established that just because they are corrective mechanisms, doesn't mean they're always corrective mechanisms.

It seems like it could be a reward; in return for endlessly being spun out to perform the various needs of the Pattern, they're allowed a normal life every once in a while.

If you take a single life of a Hero as a microcosm for their overall history, it seems appropriate... just because Birgitte (hypothetically) breaks into the Stone to free Gaidal Cain, doesn't mean she doesn't have days where she just washes the dishes, or flirts with an ugly guy, or whatever
Old 11-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
I don't ever recall reading anything that says Heroes HAVE to be Heroic.
Then why do you bring it up? I certainly didn't.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold

honestly, i almost didn't remember what the question was at all. after a long day at work, then a hectic night at home, i was just happy to get to the signing, sit down, and turn off my brain for a while as i waited for them to call my number.

took me a good 40 minutes of trying to remember anything at all about the question to begin with.

apparently mato asked your question exactly as you wished though. see his dallas signing thread.

i did get "bela is a darkfriend" and "i killed asmodean" bumper stickers.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

This is in the interview database. Thanks Gelb!