art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (3): kchlenkerreni, nartnoahc, rtolhurstalle,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > Bug Reports
User Name
Password

Old 06-27-2008, 06:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Spidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Spidy
Default Screen Width

Dudes,

What is the default Res? This is the bane of my users at work, screen is wide, app is min-wide due to 1024 X 768 App hang-ups. Is TL ReS scalable, or at least minimal setable?

I'm on 24"" wide.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Can someone translate that that into English?

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 06-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try.
Quote:
What is the default Res?
Here he asks for the default (standard) resolution that this message board expects. It's clearly not a board that scales itself to the width of the screen, so this is a more or less relevant question.
Quote:
This is the bane of my users at work,
No comment.
Quote:
screen is wide, app is min-wide due to 1024 X 768 App hang-ups.
He has a very wide screen, but the message board uses only a small part of that width, and the rest of his screen is simply white.
Or perhaps he has a very small screen, and the application requires continuous horizontal scrolling. See below for this possibility.
Quote:
Is TL ReS scalable, or at least minimal setable?
He is not content with the current settings for the width of TL, and hopes that it will become user changeable, or even automatic.
Quote:
I'm on 24"" wide.
This was a the biggest puzzle, I have to admit. But I think I've got it.

If it is said that a screen is 24" wide, then the diameter of the screen is 24 inches. But here he seems to use inches squared, which suggests that he is working on a screen that is 6 inches wide and four inches high. That's rather small, bit over a 7" screen.

All in all, I think that his real problem is not TL, but the screen he is using. I doubt Tam can change that with any settings he has available.

Last edited by GonzoTheGreat; 06-27-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

Spidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to all

Gonzo, you excel yourself. Much appreciated.

A back to front Millenium Hat to you. 24" screen meant to be 24 inch "wide-screen". I am thinking of getting another but inverting so as to represent in portrait, therefore to display lots and lots of posts.

My users are all prospective TL's users, they just don't know it yet.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default I will work on making it use the entire width, with a minimum

I'll be doing some work on the site today. I'll see what I can do.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

That would be great. I was actually just now looking for some tool for editing websites while browsing them (I believe Camel mentioned some app for that) to get TL to look a little wider, when I noticed this thread. I'm also on a widescreen flatpanel and TL does feel narrow now. I think it definately needs to be wider for me. But.

Looking at another vBulletin board that is configured to stretch with screen width I'm not sure that it is optimal for it to stretch the "entire 24"" (that proper use, Gonzo? ).
Cause what you get instead is more space for the eyes to traverse and easier to loose track of where you were in the text when reading a large paragraph (plus, speed readers will be slower, but that doesn't affect me though so I don't really care about that..). Also the text doesn't look as good when stretched out too far as opposed to being more compact. Maybe that's why we had this fixed width in the first place?

A golden middle road is what I hope for I guess. A percentage stretch I'd give my vote (to the dictator) for.
Otherwise I might have to ask Camel how to get that editing while browsing work.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Looking at another vBulletin board that is configured to stretch with screen width I'm not sure that it is optimal for it to stretch the "entire 24"" (that proper use, Gonzo? ).
Oh yeah, this is indeed the right way of doing it. The only thing where Spidy went wrong was in using an extra double quote. You also have two, but one of them (presumably the second one) is a closing quote for the opening quote in front of 'entire'. I probably wouldn't even have noticed Spidy's mistake if I hadn't gone and made a line by line explanation of his post.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Was thinking of this too as soon as we switched to the new board. It's very cramped width-wise. Would be great to make it a little wider. If Vbullitin is done right, it should only be a few changes to some settings, and maybe a few changes to the site's CSS.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

i r teh rox0rz plz.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 07-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Sure you are.

*pats head*

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Youngling

csarmi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default navigation bar

This is quite awful, anything can be done about it? (horizontal scroll sucks).

If a forum thread has more than 28 pages, the lionks to page 29, 30, ... require horizontal scrolling AND the navbar they are put in is much wider than the forum posts area (and pretty much anything else on the page).
Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Default iPad

The forums go funny when looking at them via an iPad. Most of the forum behaves however when resizing the area where the threads are located runs wide off the screen to the right.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
The forums go funny when looking at them via an iPad. Most of the forum behaves however when resizing the area where the threads are located runs wide off the screen to the right.
There's a simple solution to that: switch to Android. Works fine.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill