art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): ebraceletscharm, bautaubogabr,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Youngling

Universum is on a distinguished road
Default What are you reading right now?

Ok, so apart from anything WOT-related, what are you/have you recently finished/are you going to start reading in the near future, and why?

Due to studies I just finished Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita. During the week to come I will start reading Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.

For fun I am, at the moment, only reading wot. I ain't got the time to read anything else too. I dislike that. Not having the time to read all I want to read. -_-
Old 11-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

Well...I'm rereading WoT for pleasure actually. I know I know you said besides WoT. . I'm also rereading Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody trilogy. I wonder if the books after Destiny are worth reading. Anyone know? I had completely forgotten its November and all, what with ToM coming out and such. I've got to get my hands on the latest Tad Williams novel.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Elder

Mam A'Lemur is a name known to allMam A'Lemur is a name known to allMam A'Lemur is a name known to allMam A'Lemur is a name known to allMam A'Lemur is a name known to allMam A'Lemur is a name known to allMam A'Lemur is a name known to allMam A'Lemur is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Mam A'Lemur Send a message via Yahoo to Mam A'Lemur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonai View Post
Well...I'm rereading WoT for pleasure actually. I know I know you said besides WoT. . I'm also rereading Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody trilogy. I wonder if the books after Destiny are worth reading. Anyone know? I had completely forgotten its November and all, what with ToM coming out and such. I've got to get my hands on the latest Tad Williams novel.
I've been meaning to finish the Rhapsody books. I read the first (and I think the second one?) when they first came out, then got sidetracked.
I'm re-reading a Patricia Cornwell (non Scarpetta) book in addition to my re-read of ToM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Currenty re-reading The Rivan Codex as filler betweent he two library books I just finished and the three library holds that are listed as "in transit"

The two I just finished are Intrigues: a Novel of Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey, book two of the Collegium Chronicles and The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett, a Young Adult Discworld Novel and first of four Tiffany Aching books (so far.)

Two of the three other Tiffany Aching books are among the In Transit books and the third in Transit is ToM. The fourth Tiffiany Aching book is also on hold at the library but I'm ninth in line.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Elder

dominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universum View Post
Ok, so apart from anything WOT-related, what are you/have you recently finished/are you going to start reading in the near future, and why?

Due to studies I just finished Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita. During the week to come I will start reading Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.

For fun I am, at the moment, only reading wot. I ain't got the time to read anything else too. I dislike that. Not having the time to read all I want to read. -_-
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut at the moment. Like it so far, not sure if the primary-school-teacher-esque tone is deliberate or not yet though.

-Ted Danson
Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Elder

Spasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really nice

Re-reading Raymond E. Feist/Janny Wurts Mistress of the Empire books.

I always liked the idea of big magical wasps.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Elder

dominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmodean View Post
Re-reading Raymond E. Feist/Janny Wurts Mistress of the Empire books.

I always liked the idea of big magical wasps.
I killed 11 wasps this summer. Most of them with elastic bands. Those things freak me out when they get in my little shop!

-Ted Danson
Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Just got Deepsix and Chindi by Jack mcDevitt (scifi) from the library - I liked the first book in the series, so I'm going for the rest. Also randomly picked up a steampunk novel by George Mann called The Affinity Bridge; don't know anything about the author and never heard of the book, but the cover jumped out at me, so we'll see. Also waiting on my hold for River of Gods by Ian McDonald.

And I just realized all those authors have last names that start with M. Which doesn't surprise me for the planned reads, but is amusing for the one I randomly grabbed.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-22-2010, 03:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished Freedom's Choice by Anne McCaffrey, which means that the last book of the trilogy will be coming next... am almost done with book 2 of Malazan, which means that I'll probably be getting started on book 3 soon-ish, am thinking of a re-read of Harry Potter before the very last movie comes out. There are also some history books that I keep thinking I should read... who knows, I might actually do it one of these days.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm rereading 1632, mostly because I got a bit exasperated with the History of Philosophy I'm reading. I'd just gotten through Schopenhauer, and immediately the book slammed Nietzsche into my face. I may disagree with Descartes, but I don't think German philosophers are much of an improvement. Does anyone know any Belgian ones I could try?
Technically, I'm also reading the Bible, but I don't think I've progressed even one page during this century, so I'm not entirely sure that counts.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I'm rereading 1632, mostly because I got a bit exasperated with the History of Philosophy I'm reading. I'd just gotten through Schopenhauer, and immediately the book slammed Nietzsche into my face. I may disagree with Descartes, but I don't think German philosophers are much of an improvement. Does anyone know any Belgian ones I could try?
Technically, I'm also reading the Bible, but I don't think I've progressed even one page during this century, so I'm not entirely sure that counts.
Belgians should stick to what they know, waffles.
The bible, lol.

Not reading anything at the moment. I was gonna start on "Brave new world" but never got around to it. A little swamped in other stuff atm. I'll probably pick something up to read at christmas vacation.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
The bible, lol.

Not reading anything at the moment. I was gonna start on "Brave new world" but never got around to it. A little swamped in other stuff atm. I'll probably pick something up to read at christmas vacation.
Does that mean Swedes should stick to meatballs?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Swedish meatballs are, however, completely awesome.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but... but... hmm, Kirkegaard was Danish.

There's always Borelius though. Good old J. J. Borelius.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 11-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Youngling

But Borelius was kinda cool though. When my fiancÚ has grown old, I totally want him to look like Borelius did when he came to age. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%A4tt_-_AF.jpg

Friggin' awesome.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

Reading ToM currently
Later today I will read some french realism that I dont want to.
I will probably pick up Potter 2 this week sometime.
Ive also the Dresden files short story collection to read.
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 11-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universum View Post
Swedish meatballs are, however, completely awesome.
Agrees:

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
They probably did. That would explain why they don't have any notable philosophers.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

What I've read recently:

Towers of Midnight (probably 4 times total at this point)
The Elenium (just for fun...took 5 days to read all 3 as its a very easy relaxing read)
The Way of Kings (about 150 pgs in...I put it down to read Towers of Midnight and haven't gotten back into it. Its been too hectic to focus on a new indepth novel like that.
Master & Commander
Harry Potter & Sorcerors Stone (easy read along the lines of the Elenium basically)

I typically read some books to just relax before sleep (the easy ones) and others when I actually have time to focus (tWoK type stuff)

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Just finished Freedom's Choice by Anne McCaffrey, which means that the last book of the trilogy will be coming next... am almost done with book 2 of Malazan, which means that I'll probably be getting started on book 3 soon-ish, am thinking of a re-read of Harry Potter before the very last movie comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Harry Potter & Sorcerors Stone
You lot may be interested in this:
Quote:
The film is regarded by horror fans as being ahead of its time ...
Well, I would say, with a title "Horror on Snape Island" in 1972 already.

I was rather surprised when I saw this too, I have to admit.