art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default TEOTW: Chapter 14 - Moiraine, Lan and Logain

I was reading the meal scene and couldn't help but take notice of Lan's comments about Logain and Rand honing in on the idea that Lan seemed to be speaking with familiarity. Shortly after, Ishamael also mentions Logain during the "dream sequence" which I want to address in a different post, but it did make me wonder about whether or not Moiraine and Lan paid Logain a visit. In fact, I'm leaning towards the belief that they did just that. In fact, Lan mentions to Moiraine about the rumor that some Aes Sedai might have gone over with him and no shock is noted from Moiraine.

So - I thought this was also of interest because of Moiraine's return. Will there be some interaction between Moiraine/Lan with Logain in AMoL?

Anyway - anyone have any thoughts on this? This is one of those questions/queries that might get answered with a direct question, but not if it is somehow pertinent to AMoL.

Quote:
TITLE: Eye of the World
CHAPTER: 14 - The Stag and Lion
"Little that's good," Lan replied. "Avin was right, at least as far as talk has it. There was a battle in Ghealdan, and Logain was the victor. A dozen different stories are floating about, but they all agree on that."

Logain? That must be the false Dragon. It was the first time Rand had heard a name put to the man. Lan sounded almost as if he knew him.

"I don't know. Some say they were all killed, some say none." He snorted. "Some even say they went over to Logain. There's nothing reliable, and I did not care to show too much interest. "

It was strange, Rand thought as he shifted uncomfortably on the bed. A week ago he would have been downstairs like a falling rock for just the chance he might see a gleeman perform, for just the rumor of it. But he had heard Thom tell his stories every night for a week, and Thorn would be there tomorrow night, and the next, and the hot bath had loosened kinks in muscles that he had thought would be there forever, and his first hot meal in a week oozed lethargy into him. Sleepily he wondered if Lan really did know the false Dragon, Logain. A muffled shout came from belowstairs, the common room greeting Thom's arrival, but Rand was already asleep.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

It would make sense for Moiraine and Lan to have investigated an active male channeler while they were on the way to protect the Dragon Reborn, just to make sure they were going after the right target. They would have to at least verify Logain's age at some point. However, despite the proximity, it is a bit of a detour going from Ghealdan to the Two Rivers due to lack of roads/gateways. Though that trip may make an interesting prequel!

It would also make sense for Moiraine and Lan to not help bring down Logain since their main mission had top priority, especially since it is implied that they knew time was of the essence and they apparently knew that the Shadow was making a play for Emond's Field.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

The Shadow showing up in the Two Rivers was a surprise to them, actually. And I think Rand was just misinterpreting Lan's words because of his backwoods mentality. The news is never that detailed in the Two Rivers.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'd be surprised if they didn't know more about Logain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
The Shadow showing up in the Two Rivers was a surprise to them, actually. And I think Rand was just misinterpreting Lan's words because of his backwoods mentality. The news is never that detailed in the Two Rivers.
The Blue's network along with Moiraine's work on finding the Two Rivers suggests that she and Lan know more about Logain and likely are involved in the efforts to engage/capture him, or at least to spy on him to keep abreast of what he is doing. Moiraine would want to know how to counter anything Logain does, as he obviously believes he is a false dragon by this point.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but Rand assumed they knew him personally. That's different. It's unlikely they ever actually met him. They were just up-to-date on news of him, and therefore spoke of him with familiarity, which is a very common notion to us, but difficult for Rand to comprehend.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Lord of the Board

Default Yeah - I think that is the likely scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Yes, but Rand assumed they knew him personally. That's different. It's unlikely they ever actually met him. They were just up-to-date on news of him, and therefore spoke of him with familiarity, which is a very common notion to us, but difficult for Rand to comprehend.
I agree, but I may ask the question to see if there is anything more there, or have that question asked as part of a list of questions we develop during our re-reads.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Moiraine was apparently in the Tower not long before she left for the Two Rivers, so Logain might have been what prompted her to go there in the first place. She was only minimally in touch with Siuan, though - she only sent one message, as she was about to enter the Two Rivers, and Siuan would have had no way of sending a message to her, since she was traveling. It seems unlikely that she would have been in touch with the Aes Sedai who went after Logain, not after she left the Tower - that would have been Siuan's territory. But she could have checked with numerous Blue (and personal) agents along the way for news.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Moiraine and Lan may not have expected the imminent arrival of Trollocs, but it did seem they were acting with some urgency, and my guess is that was due to the Shadow, though it could also have had something to do with WT politics.

The clue about the urgency is the blurb that I've seen about the prequel planned about Moiraine and Lan, which mentions that it would be brought up how M&L arrived at Emond's Field "in the nick of time".

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Oh, how I badly want that outrigger to be written...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

It could be that they did not know about the urgency, of course. If they had arrived a few days later, then Mat, Perrin and Rand would probably all have been captured by the Shadow.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Youngling

Oden will become famous soon enoughOden will become famous soon enough

Could it not have been so simple as the Lord of the Seven Towers was familiar with house Ablar?
If the Warder and his AS came to check out the young lord Logain, they might've gotten to know him.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
Could it not have been so simple as the Lord of the Seven Towers was familiar with house Ablar?
If the Warder and his AS came to check out the young lord Logain, they might've gotten to know him.
Could be, but it seems unlikely. The indications we've gotten are that House Ablar was not very important, we do know that Lan tried to avoid the trappings that came with his station, and finally there is a lot of distance between the Borderlands and Ghealdan. So it is rather unlikely that they'd gotten involved in such a way. Not entirely impossible, but definitely not very plausible.