art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 09-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default A nice clue for AMOL from Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
Now, to fire a gun that has been sitting on the mantle since the middle (chapters 30-40) of book 3. #AMoL. Guess away.
And then a link to Chekhov's Gun. Mat's luck, maybe? Could be a lot of things.

Last edited by Terez; 09-30-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Youngling

Lambada is an unknown quantity at this point

I may be mistaken, but it could be the first time we heard the phrase "The Dark One's own luck".

With ta'veren the luck is meant to balance with equal unlucky events. Yet we don't see that from Matt AFAIK. Perhaps the Dark One has augmented his ta'veren?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Youngling

Aulis Vaara has a spectacular aura aboutAulis Vaara has a spectacular aura aboutAulis Vaara has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
I may be mistaken, but it could be the first time we heard the phrase "The Dark One's own luck".

With ta'veren the luck is meant to balance with equal unlucky events. Yet we don't see that from Matt AFAIK. Perhaps the Dark One has augmented his ta'veren?
While the Checkov's Gun could well be Matt's luck, I do feel the need to point out that the Ta'veren phenomenon of changing the odds really only applies to others within the Ta'veren's radius of influence. And even then only to those of whom the Ta'veren has no need.

Ta'veren themselves are luckier than the average person already, and it certainly isn't balanced! Everything has always seemed to go Rand's way, against the odds. Less so for Perrin, but he is still getting the things he needs without getting anything substantially negative on his plate.

Matt is just exceptionally lucky. It MIGHT be the Dark One's own luck, but I rather doubt it.

I personally have no idea what the Chekhov's gun is, though, it's been too long since I read The Dragon Reborn to even remember what was in those chapters. From the answers I read here, I would go for the turning to the dark trick. It was long overdue.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulis Vaara View Post
While the Checkov's Gun could well be Matt's luck, I do feel the need to point out that the Ta'veren phenomenon of changing the odds really only applies to others within the Ta'veren's radius of influence. And even then only to those of whom the Ta'veren has no need.

Ta'veren themselves are luckier than the average person already, and it certainly isn't balanced! Everything has always seemed to go Rand's way, against the odds. Less so for Perrin, but he is still getting the things he needs without getting anything substantially negative on his plate.

Matt is just exceptionally lucky. It MIGHT be the Dark One's own luck, but I rather doubt it.
RJ said that it was, in a way:

Quote:
DragonCon 4 September 2005 - Emma reporting

Question: In The Dragon Reborn, Lanfear visits Mat as he is recuperating from his One Power surgery over the dagger. At one point she stretches out her hand towards him and he feels a tingle going over him, somebody interrupts them, and she turns her head and sobs, at about the same time a member of Black Ajah stole angreal and ter'angreal6 out of the Tower cache, one of which was a ter'angreal that was known to have some effect on chance. So it was about this time that Mat's really really really weird luck and the dice rolling in his head began. Is this a connection or coincidence?
Jordan: That is a coincidence. When they say that Mat has the Dark One's own luck, he can get as mad as he wants to, but in a way it is true. It wasn't a gift from Lanfear, though.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Youngling

scooter57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chekhov's Axe, um, Hammer, I mean, Gun

Ya'll ever play a game called 'How Come'?
Someone tells a story with some unusual circumstances. Then the question is asked, 'How come?' The listeners try respond with Yes/No questions that demonstrate they know the answer, but aren't revealing enough to completely give it away to everyone else. The storyteller can then respond with Yes, No, or Immaterial. The questions continue until it becomes obvious to all 'How come'.

Example: man stops his car in front of a hotel. He says, I'm broke! How come? Possible question: was the hotel red?

If anyone is game, here's my question:
Can we hear 'clanging' in the background?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

The value of context...
So the Lanfear bit didn't just come out of the blue.
Thanks Isabel
Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Youngling

Al'ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dice ter'angreal

Not sure if this one's already been put out there:

I've seen suggestions the dice ter'angreal was the source of Mat's luck. I understand Mr. Jordan pretty much debunked that idea. What if the dice ter'angreal could either make someone else as lucky as Mat, or maybe de-buff him so he has regular luck for awhile. Could it be used in combat against Mat? What if Mat gets ahold of it? Does he become even luckier?

I think using an item we only saw in passing (and off-screen, I think) might make a good Chekov's Gun.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Youngling

eKalb is an unknown quantity at this point

The idea of the dice ter'angreal being used against Mat has been discussed on a previous page of this thread. It is definitely "a" Checkhov's Gun, but it was mentioned before the range of chapters Brandon gave for "this" Checkhov's Gun.

It would not make Mat any luckier, because the user must channel into it to warp chance, and Mat cannot channel.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eKalb View Post
It would not make Mat any luckier, because the user must channel into it to warp chance, and [B]Mat cannot channel[B]
I believe that certain people on this site do will disagree with you on this point...

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 10-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
I believe that certain people on this site do will disagree with you on this point...
They may disagree, but they would be wrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australia Interview - August 1999
Q: Back on Mat again. Could you comment on whether or not he may be able to channel?
RJ: Nope. Not a chance. Can't do it. He can get anyone in the world to dance with him just about but he can't channel worth a darn note.
Q: He's still young enough for it not to show up, right?
RJ: No he's not going to be . . . He can't channel. But if you approach him the right way he will come to your birthday party on a Harley.
That is the verifiable word of God on the matter. And in other news, I can feel myself slowly becoming Terez.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
And in other news, I can feel myself slowly becoming Terez.
Are you learning to play the piano, or is it some other symptom which you've noticed?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Youngling

thepaperstones is an unknown quantity at this point

In chapter 29 the is a mention that there are two more powerful sa angreal than callandor. I wonder if the other one is the 'gun'.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Youngling

eKalb is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty sure the two sa'angreal more powerful are the two Choedan Kal statues.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Youngling

thepaperstones is an unknown quantity at this point

That was my original thought. Yet when I reread the chapters nothing really popped out to me, so I started looking at close chapters and this is the only subtle line I caught. It is never mentioned exactly if they are male and female.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaperstones View Post
That was my original thought. Yet when I reread the chapters nothing really popped out to me, so I started looking at close chapters and this is the only subtle line I caught. It is never mentioned exactly if they are male and female.
There is some discussion of this matter elsewhere. I guess 29 is close enough to 30 that 30-40 could just be misdirection.

For the "Mat's luck" crowd, I noticed this tonight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads of Twilight, 28, "A Cluster of Rosebuds"
“Fortune rides like the sun on high
with the fox that makes the ravens fly.
Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.”

The broken-nosed old man looked around as if just realizing anyone else was there. “I’ve been trying to remember that. It’s from the Prophecies of the Dragon.”
Emphasis, as ever, mine. I'd be interested to hear what Terez, or those others who suspect Mat's luck is to do with the Dark One, think about this. To my mind, it suggests that Mat's luck is an inherent trait. It may simply be a throwaway line that vaguely describes Mat, but as it's prophecy, I'm inclined to think it is something more; I doubt RJ would have put it in if Mat's luck had some external source.

If I see Brandon in Manchester in November and we don't think we've figured it out by then, I'm tempted to just ask outright a question about ta'veren traits and see what answer I get.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

The latest:

Quote:
BRANDON
Well, THAT was a scene people have been waiting to read for many books. You know, it's very hard to talk about A Memory of Light without spoilers.
BRANDON
Let's see...what can I say without spoilers? This involves two near-deaths in a scene where most wouldn't expect any. #AesSedaivagueness
MICHAEL ZODDA
The Return of Narg!
BRANDON
Yes, @wordsbyzodda. It's obviously the return of Narg that I'm talking about. The Dark One transmigrated him into a sheep.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Youngling

seabass is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
The latest:
I tweeted this in response: Elaynes 2 babies!

It fits his non-spoiler criteria (2 near-deaths, where none was expected). Because of Min's viewing, even Elayne expects no problems. And because they are "near deaths", it could still meet the demands of Min's viewing, allowing them to actually be born healthy, but coming close to death either before birth or sometime after...Healed by a sister possibly.

in other words: Brandon just finished the birth scene...
Old 10-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass View Post
I tweeted this in response: Elaynes 2 babies!

It fits his non-spoiler criteria (2 near-deaths, where none was expected). Because of Min's viewing, even Elayne expects no problems. And because they are "near deaths", it could still meet the demands of Min's viewing, allowing them to actually be born healthy, but coming close to death either before birth or sometime after...Healed by a sister possibly.
I think this is unlikely because Elayne is only 5 months pregnant as of the end of TOM. A little less, I think. Also, it would be rather odd for Elayne to pop out babies and then still be there for the scene of Nicola's Foretelling. Seems like there's too much going on in AMOL for all that.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Youngling

seabass is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I think this is unlikely because Elayne is only 5 months pregnant as of the end of TOM. A little less, I think. Also, it would be rather odd for Elayne to pop out babies and then still be there for the scene of Nicola's Foretelling. Seems like there's too much going on in AMOL for all that.
Pregnancies probably dont last 9 months in Randland, given the 10-day week
Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

LOL. The month is still the same, though - it's based on the moon.

Tags
@brandsanderson, a memory of light, chekhov's gun, mat's luck, the dragon reborn, twitter