art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother
Default Ask Us Anything about WoT. There Are No Dumb Questions. No, Really. Part III

You can ask any question about anything and someone helpful person will be along to answer it shortly. We know lots of stuff, and we enjoy showing off our knowledge, as anyone who was at JordanCon 2010 knows well.

Basic Rules (as described throughout the Part I Thread):
- Egwene bashing will removed to the Egwene Bashing thread
- questions that develop into discussion will eventually be moved into their own thread - this is at the discretion of mods
ETA - be civil and on-topic, as well

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon

Last edited by WinespringBrother; 07-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Youngling

justin9e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Voice in rands head (TEOTW)

Hey everyone, i was just wondering if we ever did find out whose voice it was in the end of TEOTW saying, "IT IS NOT HERE. I WILL TAKE NO PART...". I never could figure out who this was.

Also correct me if i'm wrong which i very well might be, but the black cords and such i dont remember them being mentioned after like half way through the series, is this just something that was phased out .. or did i miss em on my first read?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

It's something about Tel'aran'rhiod (or the area around Shayol Ghul) that lets Rand see the cords, and he hasn't encountered any Forsaken in Tel'aran'rhiod since Rahvin. And we still don't know who the VOICE was; see the relevant tag in the interview database if you're interested in what RJ and Brandon have said about it.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Youngling

ah thanks i think that clears it up a lot about only being able to see it in T'A'R, or possibly by SG, ill have to look out for that on my next re read, thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Youngling

Default rebellion in the borederlands

As i reread through FoH and LoC it mentions somewhere in one or both the books that there is skimishes in the borderlands between people i cant remember if its exactly rebellion or just fighting but i remember it was a surprise since borderlanders never fought one another, or at least rarely. Anyways i was just wondering if we ever find anything more out about this?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin9e View Post
As i reread through FoH and LoC it mentions somewhere in one or both the books that there is skimishes in the borderlands between people i cant remember if its exactly rebellion or just fighting but i remember it was a surprise since borderlanders never fought one another, or at least rarely. Anyways i was just wondering if we ever find anything more out about this?
That was the results of Hurin returning and telling the Falme tale... the boarderlanders had minor skirmishes while they sorted out how to deal with Rand... the end result? the 4 monarchs and their huge army dicking around Andor for 5 or 6 books.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Youngling

Ah thanks this fills in some of the holes
“How do you fight someone smarter than yourself?' Rand Whispered. 'The answer is simple. You make her think that you are sitting down across the table from her, ready to play her game. Then you punch her in the face as hard as you can."

- Rand Al'Thor about Graendal
Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
That was the results of Hurin returning and telling the Falme tale... the boarderlanders had minor skirmishes while they sorted out how to deal with Rand... the end result? the 4 monarchs and their huge army dicking around Andor for 5 or 6 books.
Brandon said there were some scenes where RJ left a few options, not really very fleshed out in the notes (presumably this was all in RJ's head), and he had to figure out what to do with it. I suspect this was one of them, and I suspect the Ajah Heads plotline was much the same.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Brandon said there were some scenes where RJ left a few options, not really very fleshed out in the notes (presumably this was all in RJ's head), and he had to figure out what to do with it. I suspect this was one of them, and I suspect the Ajah Heads plotline was much the same.
why would you suspect that about this scene?

I fail to see what those unwritten scenes in AMoL that BS was talking about have to do with an already written scene in several books, along with RJ's QOTW answer.... are you implying there is more to it than them arriving with Rand to the FoM? That we will see even more of the skirmishes that ended 6+ books ago? I am sure the rulers and their armies have more to do, as that arc is not over, however the skirmishes/small scale rebellions were already answered in QOTW:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jordan
Interview: Jan 25th, 2005
TOR Questions of the Week Part II (Verbatim)
Week 5 Question
Will Hurin the Sniffer return in any of the remaining books? Please? We miss him. Could you share some insight as to why you decided not to use him after The Great Hunt?

Robert Jordan
He'll turn up again. He hasn't reappeared earlier because the part he had to play was a sidelight to the main story. You should be able to glean some of what he was doing, what effect he and the news he brought was having, from the news that came out of the Borderlands in the books following The Dragon Reborn, though.
The news was the skirmishes and small rebellions, what came out of the borderlands? the 4 monarchs and their armies...
Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
why would you suspect that about this scene?

I fail to see what those unwritten scenes in AMoL that BS was talking about have to do with an already written scene in several books
I'm not talking about what was already written; I'm talking about the resolution of the plotline, obviously. A reference to your 'dicking around in Andor' comment.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Also correct me if i'm wrong which i very well might be, but the black cords and such i dont remember them being mentioned after like half way through the series, is this just something that was phased out .. or did i miss em on my first read?
Tamyrlin has some very interesting (if debunked) theories on the black cords...makes for a fun afternoon of reading.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 07-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I'm not talking about what was already written; I'm talking about the resolution of the plotline, obviously. A reference to your 'dicking around in Andor' comment.
dicking around in andor... aka searching ineffectively for Rand.

That plot line was resolved when Rand finally met them and they used the super secret prophecy to ensure he was still good enough to win.

I am still not following if the quote BS said about unfinished scenes in AMoL is relevant here... this plot line is finished. Unless you are suggesting there is more to it? At this point, I think the borderlanders are nothing more than any other army of the land...

Or are you talking about some other BS quote? Please provide the BS quote you think is relevant.

Last edited by Ieyasu; 07-04-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Youngling

hey i was reading again, and i came across that necklace (i think it was a necklace) that Aviendha had received from someone, but i am still not sure who, don't suppose you guys know?
Also remember those two attacks(could be one more in there somewheres) on rand and the Aiel when hes in the waste and when hes traveling out of it, the darkfriends in the attack shout Sammael and the Golden bees or something of the like. yet later on Sammael says that hes done nothing to provoke rand, and later in the convo tells Graendal to tell Demandred (i think) that he knows what hes up to. so i was wondering was it Demandred who send those attacks in order to lure rand to Sammael? or am i miss reading something?
“How do you fight someone smarter than yourself?' Rand Whispered. 'The answer is simple. You make her think that you are sitting down across the table from her, ready to play her game. Then you punch her in the face as hard as you can."

Old 07-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Elder

Quote:
hey i was reading again, and i came across that necklace (i think it was a necklace) that Aviendha had received from someone, but i am still not sure who, don't suppose you guys know?
The necklace was a gift from Egwene. She wonders who the bracelet was from (Rand), and Rand wonders who the necklace was from...

Later on, Aviendha stops wearing the bracelet after she meets with Elayne and explains the significance of it, vowing not to wear it till Elayne has a gift to match the meaning... She then puts in back on after Rand sleeps with Elayne and leaves her a fresh flower (in the middle of winter)...

Elayne also wonders about the necklace... Aviendha never tells anyone who gave it to her.

Quote:
Also remember those two attacks(could be one more in there somewheres) on rand and the Aiel when hes in the waste and when hes traveling out of it, the darkfriends in the attack shout Sammael and the Golden bees or something of the like. yet later on Sammael says that hes done nothing to provoke rand, and later in the convo tells Graendal to tell Demandred (i think) that he knows what hes up to. so i was wondering was it Demandred who send those attacks in order to lure rand to Sammael? or am i miss reading something?
It was likely ordered by Sammael at the time, or Lanfear, Graendal, and Rhavin, because at that time they had a plot to attract Rand to attack Sammael where they would be waiting to capture him in a linked circle with Rhavin. Sammael expressed reluctance to not be involved in the circle.

When Sammael says he hasnt done anything to provoke him was later on, after Rand had left the waste, and after he had already killed Rhavin. After that plan had failed and it was clear that Rand was still gunning for him.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Elayne also wonders about the necklace... Aviendha never tells anyone who gave it to her.
I always cracked up at those scenes...

But now I remember a question I had when I first read WH...

Did Rand make the lily? I know he tried to make Elayne a flower in TSR, but failed. Is it even possible? I always thought making a fake flower might work, and so is enhancing a real one, but can someone give life to feathers with the Power?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
I always cracked up at those scenes...
It always bugged me that she kept that secret. I suppose it was the cultural affection thing at play, but it never made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
But now I remember a question I had when I first read WH...

Did Rand make the lily? I know he tried to make Elayne a flower in TSR, but failed. Is it even possible? I always thought making a fake flower might work, and so is enhancing a real one, but can someone give life to feathers with the Power?
I figured he traveled somewhere and picked it in the past, but in light of recent books, he could have just went outside and one popped up for him because hes one with the land and all...

He made the majhere in Tear a flower prior to his failed attempt with the feathers/Elayne. I never thought that it was alive per se, just looked like a flower. I never thought he might have somehow created a real flower with the power for the one he left in Andor.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFoH, Chapter 34, A Silver Arrow
"Nothing has changed," the scarred man growled. "Least of all, my trust for you. I will be part of the link, or it ends now."
The golden-haired woman threw back her head and laughed. "Poor man," she said mockingly, waving a beringed hand at him. "Do you think he would not notice that you were linked? He has a teacher, remember. A poor one, but not a complete fool. Next you will ask to include enough of those Black Ajah children to take the circle beyond thirteen, so you or Rahvin must have control."
I'm wondering: how could Rand notice that another man was linked?
Is there any indication of anyone else in the series noticing something like that?

Women notice it when other women are linked because they see the glow around the whole group, of course. But there's no similar give away for men, that I know of.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I'm wondering: how could Rand notice that another man was linked?
Is there any indication of anyone else in the series noticing something like that?

Women notice it when other women are linked because they see the glow around the whole group, of course. But there's no similar give away for men, that I know of.
Rand may notice any weaves cast by Sammael using both saidin and saidar are different than those cast with just saidin. Or he may just be observant and notice subtle changes in behavior. Or it could be more of Graendal's mind games.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
Rand may notice any weaves cast by Sammael using both saidin and saidar are different than those cast with just saidin.
At which point it would be a bit late, though, wouldn't it?
I mean, if he only notices after he's lost the battle and is shielded, what good would it do him?

Quote:
Or he may just be observant and notice subtle changes in behavior.
That does assume that there is anything to notice in time. And it also assumes that Rand would be in a position to notice those things before the fight is really fully started, cause after that it would be a bit late. As you may remember, when he did go after Sammael, they did exchange fire for a while without actually seeing each other at all.

Quote:
Or it could be more of Graendal's mind games.
Which would only work if you assume that Sammael doesn't know whether or not it would be possible to detect that a man is linked to others. If he knew that it could not be detected, then he wouldn't be bothered by this (im-)possibility.

But if it is possible, then I'm wondering whether there's any indication in the books of it. And, of course, I can supply the answer, come to think of it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToM, Chapter 10, After the Taint
Grady stopped suddenly and spun toward the Wise Ones' tents.
"What?" Perrin asked urgently, scanning the camp. He couldn't see anything unusual.
Grady smiled. "I think they've managed it." He started into the Aiel camp, ignoring the glares several Maidens gave him. They might very well have tossed him out, Asha'man or no, if Perrin hadn't been there.
Neald, Perrin thought. He's been working with the Aes Sedai to figure out circles. If Grady had seen something in the weaves . . .
Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Youngling

So i was reading the part where rand was talking to that philosopher guy in his school and they were saying that as the wheel turns and all that it eventually has to get back to the point where the bore was not longer drilled into (or atleast patched so well that the people who drill into the bore cant tell its been patched, so an age can come like the AoL where they first drilled into it). anyways i was just thinking that if the wheel keeps turning and what not, hasent the dark one already won? He gets an infinite number of tries to break free, and one slip on the side of the Light and he'll break free. Assuming someone dosent kill the Dark One of course. so do you guys ever feel like its all for naught, cuz in an age or two the Dark One will get his chance all over again.
Also any one have any ideas on how its possible to seal the bore to the point where Aes Seadi in the AoL we know couldn't detect it. (the seal or patch, people in past ages have made.) or do i not fully understand the concept?

Last edited by justin9e; 07-05-2012 at 04:15 PM.