art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Hey New Users of Theoryland!
User Name
Password

Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Youngling

Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the series

Hi, new to the series and not sure if it's just not popular in the UK, but can't find anyone to discuss the series with! This looks like a good place to start. Also, only on the sixth book, so please god no spoilers :P
Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Welcome Mike. We have quite a few members from the UK. It should be quite known series for thefantasy readers.
So what do you wanna discuss?

Btw, i am from the netherlands
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Ooooh, someone to welcome!

Hello, Mike

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Youngling

Thanks for the welcome! Really enjoying the series so far - more so than RR Martin's 'Song of Fire and Ice' - but i hate the way he writes some of the female characters? Is this a common notion? Like i say, i'm only onto the sixth book, so there could be some drastic character progression. That being said, do really like Aviendha and Nynaeve.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

All the UK fans on this board moved to Australia.

Welcome, Mike.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 07-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Good to hear you like nynaeve i used to have an official fanclub for her
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Mike! yay we have a newbie! please don't go away!

*mutters to self* ok, keep it cool yks, you can do this, don't scare the newbie away

for the writing of female characters, what a lot of people tend to forget is how much the world has changed since the books were started; and considering that Jordan had been germinating the idea since the 80s; it's actually quite impressive that the female characters aren't the princesses waiting to be rescued as in so many Fantasy tropes but neither are they misoandric feminists. At least, not the way I read it

from a female point of view, I think RJ captured the female to female relationshipsquite well, as those can range from best friends forever to rather incredible cattiness. as for the female-male relationships, meh. there's always some power struggle involved, and that comes in very many ways, some of which RJ did well, some not so well.

have you ever read some of the Fantasy/SciFi from the '60s? talk about a social disconnect. Some days I'd like to whack Henlein over the head just for good measure. But looking at the era, it's astonishing to realize that the wiriters of Speculative Fiction then were actually the progressive ones!

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 07-12-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Youngling

Aha, i promise i won't go away. Thanks again for the welcome!

I can understand that it was written in the 80s/90s, but he's able to create a deep world and an intricate political system, yet some of his characters feel so basic. It just seems he's taken the most simple idea of romantic feelings and gone 'boys don't understand girls, and girls can't think of anything but boys'. A bit annoying to read sometimes but still my favorite fantasy books after Robin Hobb!

Haha true, but i thought Dune is still a good read today.

So, do the books get better after book 6? Or down hill?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I can understand that it was written in the 80s/90s, but he's able to create a deep world and an intricate political system, yet some of his characters feel so basic. It just seems he's taken the most simple idea of romantic feelings and gone 'boys don't understand girls, and girls can't think of anything but boys'. A bit annoying to read sometimes but still my favorite fantasy books after Robin Hobb!

Haha true, but i thought Dune is still a good read today.

it doesn't change too much - if it took a sudden unexpected u-turn in the middle of the series, when it comes to writing certain characters, the writer woudl royally piss off the fans.

however, there is still considerable character growth. And of course Sanderson writes the last books in a slightly different way as well

just... don't believe all the hate Sanderson gets online, read for yourself, then decide people always hate more intensely than they like, particularly online

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
people always hate more intensely than they like, particularly online
Not so sure that's true.

And to Mike, welcome.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Not so sure that's true.

And to Mike, welcome.
let's put it this way: when people mildly like something they're not as likely to tell everyone and their uncle over and over and over again that it was ok.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
let's put it this way: when people mildly like something they're not as likely to tell everyone and their uncle over and over and over again that it was ok.
Many of the "Brandon haters" do exactly that.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

LOL, Naz, that was great!

*goes poke the greeter*

Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! The boards tried to pull a fast one on me with internal server errors, but I copied my post on Word and just pasted it here instead of having to do all the work twice.

Anyway the actual post:

I was too lazy to put up links last time so:

My welcome thread or the thread of many resurrections

Birgitte's thread Longest welcome thread and a seriously old one too

Sare's thread which also got very long. Ah he was a natural hijacking his own thread

Gonzo's long awaited thread

The Saa's thread where PD was god and I sold hoda to Romans

Hoda's welcome back thread ah the one where I first roasted marshmallows on my own flames

Ieyasu's thread or the one with the chanelling war started by the closing of PD's bakery a.k.a. the one where hoda said vagina

jlm's thread where DahL and I rubbed the bakery thing in PD's face, Zae was remarkably fast and Finns were weird

Fig's welcome thread where we rubbed it in some more and Sare was awesome even though he was still a noob and too lazy to google

Mangin's thread where I didn't deserve any respect and people kept stealing my fire extinguisher

Cholly's thread where Hopper created a monster a.k.a. the Lightning-Man thread

Cary's thread a truly fun thread including the history of my fires

Queen of Malkier's thread a great example of a generally fun thread and chess is still better than korfball Sare

rand's thread which I completely missed but was set on fire in it anyway
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We'll hold you to that you know!

Welcome Mike!!

You may call me Naz!!

Anyway I've just been down memory lane reading old noob threads on Yuku/ez. Great stuff there. There is my personal thread and Sare's thread, the thread where my trusty fire extinguisher was replaced with powdered magnesium and lithium and I turned into Lightning-Man and zapped Zae, also there was the thread where PD closed his bakery blaming me and DahL and we decided to rule the net with our obviously infinite powers as Nazgul and Llama which led to a channeling war between me, DahL, Bane and PD until finally Bane set demons on me and DahL turned into a hippie, and of course there was the thread where hoda(man I miss hoda) was jesus the son of PD-god (a vagrant one but anyway) and I sold him to Romans, then there was Gonzo's long awaited noob thread and so many others.

*Sigh*

They were great days
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 07-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Quote:
After book 6 the world opens up and you get more POV characters from different parts of the world.
There will be new semi-central characters introduced who'll feel like they've always been there when you reach book 9 or 10.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to this weird place.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)

Last edited by Tomp; 07-16-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Aaaaah... Naz!!!

Now I have to read all those!

Edit to add:
*trows a korfball at Naz' chessboard*

Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

*Sets sare's korfball on fire*

Checkmate!
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 07-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

oh blast, I went and found my newbie-thread

December 2003 that's... that's... almost 10 years ago!

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

And it's not closed! Wanna set me on fire in it, yks?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen