art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Youngling

SomeOneElse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sam: a louse or RJ's failure

First of all I am of course not going 2 bash RJ or even do anything like that, but no one is perfect though RJ was one of those being close to that.

But reffering to that famous Sammael and his death, it looks like that particular character started getting out of hands. He was proclaimed (not by himself) as one of the best generals of the WOP thus he should be familiar with strategy and other things. Also we must admit that Rand beat every single forsaken with some one's help (Moirain, Nyn+Moggy) or just luck. He actually won against Asmo but he was the weakest amongst them. Plus he was in "no-balefire" mode because of Cadsuane, so he couldn't permanently kill Sam meaning he shall pop up during TG or be4 which is more likely.
And now I'm going to say that Sam was "too cool" and RJ simply didn't know what to do with him, I mean how would Rand defeat him at all.
As I've stated Sam had some idea about doing battles and thus he simply wouldn't go to Shadar Logoth. Why? Because that's simply pointless. SL is one of the few places where Troloks couldn't operate because of Mashadar. Well they can, but they're under a continuous thread in that place. Sam had some idea about Mashadar (or he wouldn't go there) thus he should know it was very ruff with trollocs so he again won't go there. Also I can hardly remember trollocs being able to kill a channeler.
Secondly, I don't think Mashadar could be any dangerous to some one using the OP. Well, you can say, but it killed Sam. Yes, but how? - I have no idea. Mashadar, as we know, produced some silver light, plus Sam was aware of it and should know that it could harm him as well as Rand. That time when he was killed he was looking for Rand and not to just say "hey bro" but rather to fight him, so he should already have some weaves ready. We know that channelers could work very fast especially when they're in ready-mode, so, combining it with the fact Mashadar produces light, we must say that Sam should be able to defend himself for sure. So I have no logical reason why he didn't do so.

As for Sam being a louse. Well, maybe he was, but not more then most forsaken and less then some of them. Ofc RJ, as the creator, knew better, but I cannot agree with that when reading the books.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited by SomeOneElse; 03-31-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, he just fell into the classic bad guy mistake of planning an overly elaborate death for his enemy rather than just killing him immediately in Illian.

I'm surprised that he didn't have a pit full of sharks with lasers attached to their heads in the main square of Shadar Logoth actually....or some sort of overly slow laser cutting device to finish Rand off.

Smart bad guy..."Hmm, I think I'll just ward Illian to unleash a shit ton of balefire the moment another male channeler appears."

Nah...lets play hide and seek with the most powerful channeler to ever live so he can die "at the sight of one of his other accomplishments" or whatever that stupid explanation was in the books.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOneElse View Post
Plus he was in "no-balefire" mode because of Cadsuane, so he couldn't permanently kill Sam meaning he shall pop up during TG or be4 which is more likely.
He was not very much in no-balefire mode, though, seeing as how he (and Moridin) used that on Mashadar just a few minutes earlier.

And the Trollocs that Sammael had brought into Shadar Logoth weren't meant to kill Rand, they were merely meant to make him channel, so that Sammael could easily pinpoint his location. The Trollocs were bait, not hunters, no matter what they themselves thought.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Youngling

TSignus is just really niceTSignus is just really niceTSignus is just really niceTSignus is just really niceTSignus is just really niceTSignus is just really nice

You're missing something key though. Sammael was still under the "don't kill Rand" order. He was trying to set Rand up in a situation where he would get himself killed (presumably by Mashadar) so Sammael could say it wasn't his fault, Rand just came after him and got killed.

Also, as far as Sammael's death, the key thing here was Rand's use of balefire to kill Liah. Remember the chain of events. He sees Sammael waiting for him in the square, which is empty of Mashadar. He then hears Liah's scream as Mashadar grabs her. Rand then balefires her which makes it so she was never there, and therefore Mashadar never went after her. Since she was never there, that meant Mashadar would have gone after Sammael again. That's why when Rand looks back, he sees that the entire square where Sammael was standing is filled with Mashadar. Sammael never had any opportunity to avoid it; one moment the square was empty of Mashadar, the next it was full of it.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Smart bad guy..."Hmm, I think I'll just ward Illian to unleash a shit ton of balefire the moment another male channeler appears."

Nah...lets play hide and seek with the most powerful channeler to ever live so he can die "at the sight of one of his other accomplishments" or whatever that stupid explanation was in the books.
Sammael may have thought one step further: what could Rand do to counter such an obvious move?

Rand could have walked into Illian himself, without channeling. Then some of his Asha'man could have made gateways into Illian, without even going there. Sammael would have sensed this, and, using your scheme, revealed his location by vigorously balefiring bait. Rand then could have exterminated Sammael easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSignus View Post
You're missing something key though. Sammael was still under the "don't kill Rand" order. He was trying to set Rand up in a situation where he would get himself killed (presumably by Mashadar) so Sammael could say it wasn't his fault, Rand just came after him and got killed.
We do not actually know for sure that Sammael was under such orders. We know that the DO gave somewhat different orders to different Chosen, but we do not know how different those orders were. Demandred never gave much indication of being unwilling to kill Rand either, remember?

And, using another interpretation of the Demandred evidence: it is possible that Sammael would have been willing to kill Rand anyway, even against orders.

BTW: welcome to the board. It's nice to get new viewpoints on these issues.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Also, as far as Sammael's death, the key thing here was Rand's use of balefire to kill Liah. Remember the chain of events. He sees Sammael waiting for him in the square, which is empty of Mashadar. He then hears Liah's scream as Mashadar grabs her. Rand then balefires her which makes it so she was never there, and therefore Mashadar never went after her. Since she was never there, that meant Mashadar would have gone after Sammael again. That's why when Rand looks back, he sees that the entire square where Sammael was standing is filled with Mashadar. Sammael never had any opportunity to avoid it; one moment the square was empty of Mashadar, the next it was full of it.
Hole -E - shoot.

I never put that together in my head. Have some rep youngling.

Unless you are just a superior spam bot. In which case rep to your creator.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 08-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Youngling

TSignus is just really niceTSignus is just really niceTSignus is just really niceTSignus is just really niceTSignus is just really niceTSignus is just really nice

Thanks, Dae. I'm a new poster, but I've been a lurker for a decade or so. I finally got my wife to start reading The Wheel of Time and it inspired me to go back on some of the boards and see what people are discussing.

Gonzo, you're right that Sammael might have had different orders. I sort of assumed that everyone was under a prohibition from killing Rand since in Book 9, Moridin is explicitly asked by Demandred if the "no killing Rand" order is lifted during the Forsaken Coffee Hour (Wonderful News). Moridin basically says, "yes, if you absolutely have to." I'd always assumed this lifting of the prohibition came after Rand accidentally revealed his plan to cleanse Saidin to Dashiva and Torval in Book 8.

I certainly agree that Sammael was trying to kill Rand though, orders or no. I just think he was trying to be sneaky about it by going to Shadar Logoth.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

The "no kill" order was also why Graendal had been baiting Sammael to kill Rand. That, and the fact that she wanted him dead and valued her skin. She couldn't be entirely sure that Asmodean never told Rand where she was (and indeed, Asmodean did tell him), so she had reason to fear.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:11 AM
Youngling

padfoot89 will become famous soon enoughpadfoot89 will become famous soon enough

Regarding the "no kill" order, what exactly were the Forsaken supposed to do if Rand came after them?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfoot89 View Post
Regarding the "no kill" order, what exactly were the Forsaken supposed to do if Rand came after them?
Based on Monty Python, they had at least the Black Knight option (which is what Asmodean picked) and the Brave Sir Robin method that Graendal employed. Lanfear/Cyndane would've opted for the Castle Anthrax approach, but she never really got the chance.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfoot89 View Post
Die, and trust the Lord of the Grave to revive them. Also have a contingency plan in place in case of Balefire.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 08-31-2015, 03:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I certainly agree that Sammael was trying to kill Rand though, orders or no. I just think he was trying to be sneaky about it by going to Shadar Logoth.
I also think he was trying to be sneaky, but I disagree about the reason.

For channelers as powerful as Rand or Sammael, with the ability to Travel whenever they want, one place is not much more important than another.
Sammael did not have any reason to try to make a stand Illian. If he fought there, where Rand expected him to fight, then he might fall for some trick or trap that Rand had prepared. By moving the fight somewhere else entirely Sammael made sure that Rand did not have such an advantage. And by moving the fight to a place that he had prepared for precisely this eventuality, he made sure that it would be Rand who would have a disadvantage. That's what the Trollocs were for: to reveal Rand's position to Sammael and let the latter decide when and where to strike.
Then, once Rand was done away with, Sammael could easily return to Illian and retake it, if needed, together with a lot more besides.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:41 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Hole -E - shoot.

I never put that together in my head. Have some rep youngling.

Unless you are just a superior spam bot. In which case rep to your creator.
This. And I read that entire scene just last night. I'm going to have to start reading slower, that's always my problem. Even when I think I'm taking it all in and thinking about it I'm apparently not.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
This. And I read that entire scene just last night. I'm going to have to start reading slower, that's always my problem. Even when I think I'm taking it all in and thinking about it I'm apparently not.
It's something like a mental version of "feeling the burn". So Fig, read and think, think, THINK. Feel the headache!
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-17-2015, 06:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
It's something like a mental version of "feeling the burn". So Fig, read and think, think, THINK. Feel the headache!
Then randomly select some other part of the series, and try to figure what you're missing there.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:19 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Then randomly select some other part of the series, and try to figure what you're missing there.
Life is tooooo short.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

But in the Wheel of Time you don't have just one life, do you?
Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Youngling

SomeOneElse is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
Because the city (and its evil) didnt exist when Sammael last walked the world in the AoL, so he didnt know how to ward against it, where as modern AS had learned to do so in the time since his imprisonment.
Looks like dealing with it didn't require any imagination or whatever, just a bit of common sense. If Sam didn't have it than I don't understand how could he survive the war of power.
Quote:
Sam would argue here, if he could.

Last edited by SomeOneElse; 12-17-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
But you forget everything so you'd have to start from scratch in every lifetime. And as time goes on the story fades to legend and then myth, and that just makes it more difficult to find something you missed.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

So maybe Figbiscuit already found some amazing new things, but won't tell us (because she's forgotten when she reincarnated). Perhaps she should've taken notes or something.