art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future
Default Buzzfeed's "The 51 Best Fantasy Series Ever Written."

Thoughts? I am using the list as a recommendation list to look at other series I have not read. I can ignore the problems with how high some of these books are listed in my opinion.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/fan...Mw5#.vyEjOMKW7

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
Thoughts? I am using the list as a recommendation list to look at other series I have not read. I can ignore the problems with how high some of these books are listed in my opinion.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/fan...Mw5#.vyEjOMKW7
They're not a fan of WoT (25th) or Malazan (26). I've read surprisingly few of the series on this list. Heck, I've heard of surprisingly few of these series. Surprised to see The Once and Future King. If that is included as a "series", it deserves to be way higher on the list than 42nd. A few other oddities. Narnia and Harry Potter should both be way higher. I've never heard of his top spot, The Kingkiller Chronicles, and while I've really liked Sanderson's Stormlight Archive, it is nowhere near complete, and has too few books to judge it as a whole so favorably compared to many of these completed works, at least in my opinion. Also not sure why it would be ranked so much higher than Mistborn, which was great, and complete. Shannara coming in at 9 is a pretty bad sign as well. My opinion - meh.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:05 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Kingkiller Chronicles by Rothfuss is good, but he has the same work ethic (ie incredibly slow) as GRRM. I'd definitely recommend it though, as books 1 and 2 of the trilogy are already out.

I've never understood why unfinished series keep making (and topping) these lists. I mean, I can sort of understand Kingkiller and asoiaf being there, as they're at least almost done--well, hopefully. But Stormlight? There's only 2 books out lol. Maybe put it on a top 50 list 10 years from now, but when 80% of the series isn't even done it shouldn't even be there at all, IMO.

Not sure how Paolini made it on there. Also, maybe this is just me, but I hated Lev Grossman's Magicians (the first one, haven't read the others). It's like he decided to write adult versions of Narnia and Harry Potter without realizing that other authors (GGK and Rothfuss, respectively) had already done so...and done much better too, IMO.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
Not sure how Paolini made it on there.
Probably to balance out Goodkind.

There are a number of good series on there, but also a bunch of lousy ones. All in all, while it may be a useful list to find unknown series you might want to consider trying, it isn't a list that guarantees quality.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:05 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Probably to balance out Goodkind.

There are a number of good series on there, but also a bunch of lousy ones. All in all, while it may be a useful list to find unknown series you might want to consider trying, it isn't a list that guarantees quality.
That....That. ..may be the worst list I've ever seen of fantasy series.

My reading has tailed off a lot as I've gotten older but I have thrown a hand to a lot of those and his top twenty is ludicrous.

Take the kingkiller chronicles. It is good. Very good. But to give it top spot when two books published and maybe one more to come? Silly.

It makes me wonder what the criteria for selection was?

And has anyone else read the riddle master trilogy? It is not good but makes top 11. I really don't get the love some people have for Brent weeks and Peter Brett either.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 08-21-2015, 06:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
And has anyone else read the riddle master trilogy? It is not good but makes top 11.
I liked it, but I do think that the first book was the best. The author didn't quite manage to make the idea behind it last for the whole series. Getting a good book (or series) to end is often a problem, and a less than good ending affects the overall value of the work.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I'm surprised that Dennis McKiernan didn't make the list. Any of the trilogies, duologies, singles, or the entire Mithgar universe are more worthy than about half of the list.

Glen Cook's Garret the Detective series is far better Fantasy than the hack'n'slash morbidity of the Black Company series -- if Glen Cook must be on the list for some reason.

Several series by Piers Anthony -- Xanth, Incarnation of Immortality, Apprentice Adept -- are worthy of a "top fifty" list.

David Eddings' Belgariad belongs on the list -- and/or his other works.

In fact, this list seems to be fairly heavily weighted towards violence and dark fantasy and still misses some of the better series from the seventies, eighties and nineties. Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series, for example.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Me too...

...when I finally have time to read. And this list interests me too because my free reading time is normally spent reading to my 11 year old and my almost 9 year old.

http://www.listchallenges.com/100-fi...en-should-read

Some of these I want to reread before reading with them, and some I just want to read for the first time.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
...when I finally have time to read. And this list interests me too because my free reading time is normally spent reading to my 11 year old and my almost 9 year old.

http://www.listchallenges.com/100-fi...en-should-read

Some of these I want to reread before reading with them, and some I just want to read for the first time.
Hey tam, did you decide to let your 11 year old read the Wheel?

As for that list you posted- a lot of those novels would fly over most children and young adults heads.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Old 08-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
As for that list you posted- a lot of those novels would fly over most children and young adults heads.
Reading them A Modest Proposal may help with getting the kids to behave, though.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
I read almost everything on that list published before 1968 in class as an "English Lit," "American Lit" or "Modern Problems" assignment in Jr and Sr high school (grades 7 through 12.)

Old 08-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
I read almost everything on that list published before 1968 in class as an "English Lit," "American Lit" or "Modern Problems" assignment in Jr and Sr high school (grades 7 through 12.)
At the risk of sounding condescending- being able to read a book and comprehending the book are two very different things. Sure, a child can read "Brighton rock" or "Fahrenheit 451" or any of the classics on the list but they will miss so many of the subtleties that they contain.

on top of this the kind of prose found in the likes of Thomas hardy ' s novels will be a massive deterrent to most younger readers used to the tame and straight forward writing in harry potter and the hunger games.

And I doubt you, or anyone else here, was an average child or young adult. 😆

Old 08-22-2015, 01:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
At the risk of sounding condescending- being able to read a book and comprehending the book are two very different things. Sure, a child can read "Brighton rock" or "Fahrenheit 451" or any of the classics on the list but they will miss so many of the subtleties that they contain.
Chapter by chapter discussions in class pretty much made sure any subtleties were less than subtle.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:56 AM
Elder

Quote:
Chapter by chapter discussions in class pretty much made sure any subtleties were less than subtle.
Wow. Is that a national thing or an era thing?

I'll use me as a counterpoint- I graduated secondary school in 1995. During my time in school these are the books and plays that we read thoroughly for class and had chapter by chapter summaries of:

1st year(12): roll of thunder hear my cry.
2nd year(13): the cay
3rd year(14): the merchant of Venice
At the end of third year we do a national exam.
4th year(15): the grapes of wrath
5th year(16): hard times
6th year(17): macbeth.

At the end Of 6th year we do a national exam. You do 7 subjects and get a points score based on your score. Maximum is 600. Then your course in college is determined by how high your score is.

Eg medicine 590~600 points.
Theoretical physics ~580 points
Engineering 400~500
A certificate in jam making 5 points.

The reason I say this is that all of the books I read lead to the exam and that for the first exam the three pieces had a theme of race relations and the 2nd had a theme of class structure. In America you guys seem to have had a much more reading centric course.

is that still the same? I have had quite a few Americans pass through my courses and they didn't strike me as "well read". That's not meat to be an insult. I'm just wondering if since you graduated Harold have they minimised the amount of reading and analysis????

Old 08-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Wow. Is that a national thing or an era thing?
Possibly both?

I haven't had much to do with the public education system for more than 20 years. At the time my daughters graduated, there wasn't as extensive a reading list as I recall from my school days.

OTOH, I do recall that including "modern" novels and Science Fiction was a relatively new and controversial thing.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:44 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Possibly both?

I haven't had much to do with the public education system for more than 20 years. At the time my daughters graduated, there wasn't as extensive a reading list as I recall from my school days.

OTOH, I do recall that including "modern" novels and Science Fiction was a relatively new and controversial thing.
Reading lists can vary a bit from school to school, and based on track, but this for instance is the reading list for the English IV Honors class that I'm teaching this year.

-Summer Reading: The Light Between the Oceans
-1st Quarter: Beowulf, The Picture of Dorian Gray
-2nd Quarter: Macbeth
-3rd Quarter: Frankenstein
-4th Quarter: Pride and Prejudice

And lots of poetry - English obviously, Fourth Year (Seniors) is Brit Lit. The non-Honors track senior year reads Kite Runner and Glass Castle instead of Frankenstein and Pride and Prejudice. Can't recall what AP reads off the top of my head. Junior year they read American authors mostly - the Transcendentalists, Gatsby, often some Hemingway, Catcher in the Rye, and Huck Finn. Sophomores read the more modern works - Thousand Splendid Suns, Shakespeare's Julius Caesar (not modern, but they tend to read one Shakespeare play each year, except Junior), Antigone, In the Time of the Butterflies, Night, The Kitchen Boy. Freshman usually read Midsummer Night's Dream, Of Mice and Men, the Odyssey, and the Alchemist. Each year they obviously also read quite a few short stories (Poe, etc) and poems (Frost, Coleridge, Wordsworth, etc).

The reading list I read in high school back in the 90s was quite different. Some of the obvious ones above were the same, but we also read 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Stranger, A Modest Proposal, Oedipus Rex, Medea, Slaughterhouse 5, etc. - but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. All those should be required reads still in my opinion, but the world moves on...

Last edited by Kimon; 08-22-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Reading lists can vary a bit from school to school, and based on track, but this for instance is the reading list for the English IV Honors class that I'm teaching this year.

-Summer Reading: The Light Between the Oceans
-1st Quarter: Beowulf, The Picture of Dorian Gray
-2nd Quarter: Macbeth
-3rd Quarter: Frankenstein
-4th Quarter: Pride and Prejudice

And lots of poetry - English obviously, Fourth Year (Seniors) is Brit Lit. The non-Honors track senior year reads Kite Runner and Glass Castle instead of Frankenstein and Pride and Prejudice. Can't recall what AP reads off the top of my head. Junior year they read American authors mostly - the Transcendentalists, Gatsby, often some Hemingway, Catcher in the Rye, and Huck Finn. Sophomores read the more modern works - Thousand Splendid Suns, Shakespeare's Julius Caesar (not modern, but they tend to read one Shakespeare play each year, except Junior), Antigone, In the Time of the Butterflies, Night, The Kitchen Boy. Freshman usually read Midsummer Night's Dream, Of Mice and Men, the Odyssey, and the Alchemist. Each year they obviously also read quite a few short stories (Poe, etc) and poems (Frost, Coleridge, Wordsworth, etc).

The reading list I read in high school back in the 90s was quite different. Some of the obvious ones above were the same, but we also read 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Stranger, A Modest Proposal, Oedipus Rex, Medea, Slaughterhouse 5, etc. - but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. All those should be required reads still in my opinion, but the world moves on...
some of it overlaps, but the differences are quite interesting. we got for the three years of HS (in no particular order):

3 Estonian classics (Truth and Justice, The Emperor's Madman, Goodbye Yellow Cat)
1 Finnish classic (Seven Brothers)
1 Norwegian classic (forget the name of it... something about farming. very dark and somber)
Tolstoy - choice between Anna Karenina or War and Peace
Dostoyevski - choice between Crime and Punishment or Brothers Karamazov or The Idiot
Pushkin, Lermontov - poetry (that one IN Russian, thankyouverymuch)
Goethe - Faust
Shakespeare - Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Midsummer Night Dream. Either read or go see the play (films don't count)
Decameron - (pick any 10 stories)
Hesse - Siddhartha or Steppewolf
Marquez - 100 years of solitude
Bulgakov - Master and Margarita
Camus - the myth of sysophos (hated it)
that other French existentialist - something (hated that too)
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5 or Breakfast of Champions
Robinson Crusoe or Don Quixote (I somehow managed to not read either of those)
Hardy - Tess of the D'Urbervilles (or however you spell that)
Dickens - David Copperfield (just book 1, thank goodness)
Brontė sisters - either Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights... or was it both? now that I think of it, it might have been both.
Victor Hugo - Les Miserables
Remarque - All quiet on the Western Front
Hemingway - For Whom the Bell Tolls
Wilde - Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest
Maugham - Moon and the Sixpence
Catcher in the Rye, to the Lighthouse ( forget the authors, sorry...)
more poetry: Estonian ones, Burns, Shelley, Byron, um... Whitman, I think.
Shaw - Pygmalion
Beckett - Waiting for Godot
Kafka - Process or the Castle
Orwell - 1984 or Animal Farm
Golding - Lord of the Flies

I'm sure I'm forgetting some important ones...

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 08-24-2015, 03:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Default since we're posting book lists:

http://www.bustle.com/articles/84676...them-a-million

Definitely a bit skewed towards "Young Adult" books, but an interesting list.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Elder

Quote:
http://www.bustle.com/articles/84676...them-a-million

Definitely a bit skewed towards "Young Adult" books, but an interesting list.
"Fans of Rowling ' s realistic and complex female characters"

I must have read the wrong Rowling books.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
"Fans of Rowling ' s realistic and complex female characters"

I must have read the wrong Rowling books.
Or maybe you just don't know the right females.

That said, I have to admit that I haven't read a single book from that list, and I do not really feel I've missed out on it either.