art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Youngling

meta1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please explain what I see as major plot holes? Am I right?

Hi everyone, firstly I will mention that I have only just finished a Crown of Swords, so no spoilers if you can help it please.

I am a big fan of the WoT books so far, but a fair few times I have noticed things I would suggest are plot holes, or at least that there are times when characters act irrationally and in a way just doesn't make sense compared to the alternatives, or don't do something that seems pretty obvious. Often it is just keeping a secret that there is no need to keep.

There are a ton of examples on this great list, especially "in the why don't they just" section, with plenty I missed completely: http://abbygoldsmith...been_nice.shtml

The ones that most bugged me most aren't on there though, here they are... Please can you guys let me know if you agree with me, or if you don't please explain if I am missing something here. Thanks in advance, sorry the post is so long.

1) Rand deciding to leave behind both Callandor and the Male Bearded Man Sa'angreal.

I am so frustrated when I read the books because so many of Rand's problems and difficult fights are easily avoidable, as with Callandor he was more powerful than the most powerful forsaken (Ishmael). These fights he lucked his way through become easy with Callandor...

Rand vs Rahvin (Rand got lucky and needed Nyneave to help)
Lanfear tries to kill Aviendha and Elayne (Moraine saves him)
Rand gets captured by Elaida's Aes Sedai
Rand vs Sammael (Gets lucky because he is saved by the mysterious man)
There will probably be more as I continue reading...

Now I know Rand said he left Callandor to make sure the Tairens don't forget about him. I mean that's a fairly stupid reason to begin with, given how powerful it is and how many Aiel he left in Tear, so they couldn't rebel even if they wanted to. But later on he learns how to travel so he could just turn up whenever he wants to in Tear to remind them he is in charge, so there is literally no reason at all anymore to leave Callandor behind, just take a 2 minute trip and go and get it!

When I googled about the Male Sa'angreal I accidentally learned a spoiler that later on he actually destroys it because no one should have that power. (It seems really really stupid given that he needs to fight the all evil dark one who will corrupt the world and what not, but fair enough I suppose). But prior to this he just leaves it hidden and doesn't really mention that aspect of it at all, it is just ignored completely as if it doesn't exist. I don't see why he couldn't just keep it with him as a backup just in case he is getting beaten by one of the forsaken.

2) Why did Moiraine jump and push Lanfear and herself through the doorway when she was stood in plain view of her, why not just kill her with a shot of balefire (which we know she can use and isn't afraid of the consequences from when she kills Be'lal with it)??? This doesn't make any sense...

3) Sammaels battle with Rand is ridiculous. He doesn't want to destroy Illian so takes the fight elsewhere, fine, completely understandable. Going to Shadar Logoth, not so much, why would he take the fight somewhere that is obviously dangerous where there is something that could easily kill him, as it does. That is the most underwhelmed I have been so far in the books (which I love so far). Without the mysterious stranger saving Rand Sammael was winning, he is stronger than Rand, but he decided the best place to fight is one where some weird fog stuff can kill you, then when he isn't looking the fog just kills him and no one even sees it. This made for awful reading, I figured maybe I am wrong about this and Sammael isn't really dead and its part of a plan, so I looked it up and nope, he is dead...

4) The Forsaken at one point are mentioned as trying to go after angreal but none of them have managed it yet. Liandrin and her Black Ajah couldn't break into the angreal and sa'angreal store rooms either when they tried to break in. Why is any of this necessary?! They are Aes Sedai, plenty of them have checked out angreal as referenced plenty of times in the books, the Forsaken could just tell one of them to check one out and give it to them, maybe not a sa'angreal but definitely a regular angreal at least! I couldn't get over how dumb this was. On top of all this Mesaana is said to be hidden inside the White Tower at this point, so she should definitely have one. Also Padan Fain manages to break in to get his dagger and Alviarin shows up and makes sure no one else does, she is Black Ajah, so even if the others for some reason couldn't get an angreal Alviarin definitely can.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:26 PM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Welcome to TL, meta1234.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meta1234 View Post
1) Rand deciding to leave behind both Callandor and the Male Bearded Man Sa'angreal.

I am so frustrated when I read the books because so many of Rand's problems and difficult fights are easily avoidable, as with Callandor he was more powerful than the most powerful forsaken (Ishmael). These fights he lucked his way through become easy with Callandor...
I think I can help you with one. Its fear. Well lack of maturity too, IMO. Rand tried to use Callandor to resurrect the dead in TSH and from there on, he could not trust himself with either of the two Saangreal. Later he found out something else about Callandor in tPoD that made him lucky he was not using Callandor freely.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Youngling

meta1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
Welcome to TL, meta1234.

I think I can help you with one. Its fear. Well lack of maturity too, IMO. Rand tried to use Callandor to resurrect the dead in TSH and from there on, he could not trust himself with either of the two Saangreal. Later he found out something else about Callandor in tPoD that made him lucky he was not using Callandor freely.
This makes sense actually, I thought it was probably something along those lines but I had completely forgotten about him trying to resurrect the girl, which seems to be an important explanation for the decision. Although it is still strange to me he wouldn't keep it as a last resort, I suppose this is an explanation I can accept and I think would probably be the one RJ would give. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
This makes sense actually, I thought it was probably something along those lines but I had completely forgotten about him trying to resurrect the girl, which seems to be an important explanation for the decision. Although it is still strange to me he wouldn't keep it as a last resort, I suppose this is an explanation I can accept and I think would probably be the one RJ would give. Thanks!
Also, keep reading. Some very important things come up later on.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
RAFO (oh and sorry for the spoilers...)

Last edited by Kimon; 10-03-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
I...
Dude...MASSIVE SPOILERS for him if he's only finished Crown of Swords...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Davian93; 10-05-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Whoops. It's been so long since I've had to think about spoilers for this series that it slipped my mind to even notice that. It looks like he hasn't been logged in since before my reply, so I'll delete my post, though in my defense, what exactly is he doing asking for comments on what he sees as a plot hole without us revealing why...

Admittedly, you would also need to edit to avoid him seeing my original post...
Old 10-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Seriously. Kimon, can you please edit your post? Also, Davian, might help to remove what was quoted.

Quote:
There are good reasons for this. Remember Rand trying to bring back the dead girl in the fourth book? That spooked him, and made him (rightly) question whether he was ready for such power.

For another, he constantly has to worry that he will go mad. How much worse for the world if he does and has a very powerful sa'angreal with him?

Quote:
When I googled about the Male Sa'angreal I accidentally learned a spoiler that later on he actually destroys it because no one should have that power.
If you really want to enjoy the books, avoid googling stuff about them. Also, quick reads of things people say on the internet can be deceptive. The bearded man plays more of a role than you think. Stay tuned.

Quote:
2) Why did Moiraine jump and push Lanfear and herself through the doorway when she was stood in plain view of her, why not just kill her with a shot of balefire (which we know she can use and isn't afraid of the consequences from when she kills Be'lal with it)??? This doesn't make any sense...
You do remember Moiraine's letter to Rand explaining that she had seen the event, correct? The simplest answer is she did what she did because she already knew how it played out.

More importantly, if Moiraine had embraced the Source any earlier, Lanfear would have sensed it and destroyed her. The element of surprise was crucial for Moiraine to succeed.

Quote:
3) Sammaels battle with Rand is ridiculous.
Not so much. This was about the only place Sammael could be sure some random channeler wouldn't disturb his wards. That way, he could be sure that if someone channeled, it would be Rand.

As for Mashadar... you give Sammael credit for thinking it was an actual threat to him. He almost certainly didn't know of all its dangers, as it is not a thing from his Age.

Quote:
4) The Forsaken at one point are mentioned as trying to go after angreal but none of them have managed it yet. Liandrin and her Black Ajah couldn't break into the angreal and sa'angreal store rooms either when they tried to break in. Why is any of this necessary?! They are Aes Sedai, plenty of them have checked out angreal as referenced plenty of times in the books, the Forsaken could just tell one of them to check one out and give it to them, maybe not a sa'angreal but definitely a regular angreal at least! I couldn't get over how dumb this was. On top of all this Mesaana is said to be hidden inside the White Tower at this point, so she should definitely have one. Also Padan Fain manages to break in to get his dagger and Alviarin shows up and makes sure no one else does, she is Black Ajah, so even if the others for some reason couldn't get an angreal Alviarin definitely can.
Simple. Imagine a sister signs out an angreal and doesn't return it. Soon enough, she will be asked to give it back, and questioned if she doesn't. That either reveals the Black Ajah, or Mesaana's alias in the Tower. Neither of which is a small price to pay for a measly angreal.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Seriously. Kimon, can you please edit your post? Also, Davian, might help to remove what was quoted.
I did. Hopefully Dav will notice and remove my original post from his reply.

Unfortunately, he just logged out. Oy.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
I did. Hopefully Dav will notice and remove my original post from his reply.

Unfortunately, he just logged out. Oy.
Sorry...and I goofed for not using SPOILER tags to black out my quoted text too.

~hangs head in shame~

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 10-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Two things: Lanfear is an incredibly skilled channeler
She is likely the most adept channeler to ever live as she was the most powerful female channeler ever and females are typically more skilled at weaving than men. So while Rand/LTT & Ishy might have been a couple steps above her on the power scale, she was likely a better spinner/weaver of individual threads of power.

There was a reason she was on the Bore research program...and it likely wasn't just her stunningly amazing looks.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
She is likely the most adept channeler to ever live as she was the most powerful female channeler ever and females are typically more skilled at weaving than men. So while Rand/LTT & Ishy might have been a couple steps above her on the power scale, she was likely a better spinner/weaver of individual threads of power.

There was a reason she was on the Bore research program...and it likely wasn't just her stunningly amazing looks.
We don't know that she was THE most skilled female channeler. Graendal may have matcher or exceeded her, and Egwene might have, with time and the right education. But yes, I do expect her to be a more dexterous weaver of the Power than Rand or Ishamael.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Having a good looking women on a research team isn't a negative. I don't know if she was. There are some things that suggest she may not have been the most adept in the aol. But its really circumstantial. Sure she has the potential to be best spinner,but really depends how much she had applied herself. Did she ever earn a third name?
Old 10-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
Having a good looking women on a research team isn't a negative. I don't know if she was. There are some things that suggest she may not have been the most adept in the aol. But its really circumstantial. Sure she has the potential to be best spinner,but really depends how much she had applied herself. Did she ever earn a third name?
Third names were given for achievement that benefitted soceity, not skill. Lanfear could have been the greatest channeler of the Age, and she still wouldn't have gotten a third name unless she did something useful with it.

What circumstantial evidence exists that she was not the most adept, btw?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
What circumstantial evidence exists that she was not the most adept, btw?
She was a Forsaken?

All of the Forsaken were more interested in "Power" than they were in working for anything; they all had someone else to blame for their various failures

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:48 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
She was a Forsaken?

All of the Forsaken were more interested in "Power" than they were in working for anything; they all had someone else to blame for their various failures
That's proof for, not against. The Dark One prefered the best of the best for his Chosen, and Lanfear was among the six who sat at the pinnacle of their hierarchy. There was constant scheming and backstabbing, and all of the top six were way better than the others.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
That's proof for, not against. The Dark One prefered the best of the best for his Chosen, and Lanfear was among the six who sat at the pinnacle of their hierarchy. There was constant scheming and backstabbing, and all of the top six were way better than the others.
The Dark One depended on his human minions to evaluate other minions. Lanfear was very, very good at channeling, but like all of the Forsaken, she was not as good as she could be -- or as good as she thought she was.

Lanfear, in particular, defined herself by the status of her lover -- LTT was the best at everything and therefore the only suitable consort for Lanfear.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Lanfear, in particular, defined herself by the status of her lover -- LTT was the best at everything and therefore the only suitable consort for Lanfear.
Her behavior was that of someone who was very insecure about herself. She felt the need to buttress her sense of superiority with things outside herself, like Lews Therin, and like a source of Power with the potential to eradicate the gender differences she was accustomed to.

That insecurity had to some from somewhere, and if she really was such a great researcher, she would have done something to earn that third name, because it was a status symbol and a potential source of power. That's probably why she chose research in the first place, and for all we know she was marginally better qualified than Mesaana (though the BWB says she was "not world-famous or well known, but respected by her colleagues".

She couldn't imagine that the source of that power was a sentient being. She probably thought this would be her big breakthrough, that she would finally be celebrated in society like she deserved, and that Lews Therin would come running back to her.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Also, as a response to #4, the Tar Valon stash of angreal, ter'angreal and sa'angreal is actually not that big. That's why they went and carted a whole bunch of the stuff away from Rhuidean - I believe there's a comment somewhere that the Rhuidean collection was at least as big, if not bigger, as was already stored in Tar Valon - though I may be misremembering things.

Anyways, as the TV supply was thoroughly indexed and monitored, it would make sense to look for supplies from less secure locations first.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Her behavior was that of someone who was very insecure about herself. She felt the need to buttress her sense of superiority with things outside herself, like Lews Therin, and like a source of Power with the potential to eradicate the gender differences she was accustomed to.
Lanfear was the "Psycho Cheerleader From Hell" who could only consider herself successful if on the arm of the BMOC -- and would do away with anyone who trespassed on "her man/territory/possessions."