art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Guild Wars: Theoryland
User Name
Password

Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Elder

czymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really nice
Default Jon Peters Answers Your (First Batch) of Healing and Death Questions

Here is the link and I will post the other one when it comes out.

http://www.arena.net/blog/jon-peters...ions#more-2546
Old 07-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Well that's interesting. They have a Borderlands-esq revive system. (Note: this might have been done before Borderlands, that's just the game that I can think of at the moment) They called it "Second Wind"

And yeah, this seems to be the final nail in the coffin for a dedicated healer role. First having a dedicated healing slot for each character, now having the ability to revive other players no matter the profession...yeah. Not certain how much I like this.

EDIT: Should've finished the article before posting. They outright SAY there will be no dedicated healing class. Mah bad.
I still don't think I like having 5 slots on the skillbar auto-locked into a particular set of skilsl, and then two more dedicated to another type each...
Ex: I don't use "chase" skills. Apparently this will be one of the dedicated 5 for the warrior (which will replace the Assassin). That's one slot taken away from what I would prefer to use it on, and with so many things being dedicated to other things... I dunno how this will all work out satisfactorily., guess I'll need to see the game in action a couple times first. We'll see.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras

Last edited by Matoyak; 07-15-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

I guess in this case we might wind up with Paragon-like characters, Warriors equipped with support shouts (think Diablo 2's Singing Barbarian) for buffs and minor healing. Could also add in Mesmer or Elementalist (and Necromancers as well if they come back) Healing. I'm reminded of Koro's Gaze a Mesmer skill on Koro Sagewind of the Ebon Falcons in the War in Kryta thing that's currently going on (I need to finish this off at some point...can you add the weapons you get from that to your HoM? I actually like these weapons).

Anyway, it's a mesmer skill that's essentially a cheaper Heal Other with an added Smite Hex on top of it...which is like the best healing skill ever IMO. If this is a hint as to what might be in GW2 for healing abilities I think we'll be fine. I could combine two of my favourite characters into one, monk and mesmer.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Well, it all depends on how they balance everything out, really. A combination of Monk and Mesmer could work, depends on the balance, really. I also worry that Elementalists seem to be becoming a more utility-based class, but that's probably just an irrational fear. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

EDIT: I still feel that the FPS/TPS "tag, you're it" style of revive is really odd for an MMO, but it could make for a nice change of pace. That is, a faster one.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Well, devs in any game can tinker and balance to their hearts' content. They can remove a dedicated healer class and give everybody heals.

End the end, however, the playerbase will determine the most efficient use and role for each class. If its not a dedicated heal class, it will be a dedicated support class to go with the designated tank class, pet class, melee damage class, spell damage class.

The only way to change this is to make each class equally good at all roles as all the others. Which is a terrible idea.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 07-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Elder

czymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really nice

Each class can do damage/support/control to various degrees. Each will be different in how they do it but almost as effective as the other classes.