art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 08-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Youngling

amazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Will Rand use the True Power to rebuild the Dark One's prison?

Here's an idea that I don't have much evidence for, but wanted to throw out there for discussion. I'm wondering if anyone has written up a theory or discussed the idea that Rand will use the True Power to re-imprison the Dark One. I didn't find anything by searching the forums and theories but maybe I missed it.

Basically this idea assumes that Rand's use of the TP in TGS is going to serve some plot purpose beyond simply allowing him to escape the bracelets and kill Semirhage. We already know from BS that Rand's TP use will have consequences, by which he probably means that Rand will struggle with the addictive properties of the TP. It would be pretty cool (and ironic) if Rand were to fight TP addiction over the next 2 books and finally emerge victorious by using the TP to rebuild the DO's prison. I say "rebuild" rather than "reseal" because the Herid Fel note implies that the prison must be broken open and rebuilt rather than the bore re-sealed. It seems that a One Power seal for the prison is insufficient, since Lews Therin and co. already tried this and we all know how that turned out.

I guess the main problem with this idea is that the DO controls who gets to access the TP, so the minute he detects Rand using it against him he could simply cut Rand off. One way to get around this is to assume that Rand can channel the TP w/o the DO's explicit permission through Moridin. Maybe Rand can simply use Moridin's TP permission by proxy using the balefire-crossed-streams-ghostbusters-connection that the two share. This seems to be how he accessed the TP in TGS (although I know there are some who argue that he does indeed have explicit permission). This would imply that the DO cannot cut Rand off w/o also cutting Moridin off. This would certainly create a conundrum for the DO if Moridin and Rand start fighting each other with the TP.

Another problem is that I haven't seen much in terms of direct foreshadowing that supports this theory. Usually RJ drops a lot of hints to foreshadow major events in the series. Can anyone think of anywhere in the series to look for supporting quotes?

There are a number of double-crossing options that could be thrown in here to add extra wrinkles to the story. Rand could turn to the Dark Side to gain the DO's trust and then double-cross him. Or Rand, using information from Herid Fel and Min, could manage to convince Moridin that the DO will always inevitably lose at the end of each Age. I could see Moridin switching sides if the philosophical argument is 100% foolproof, but overall this seems pretty unlikely. Would be an interesting direction to take the story though.

So what do you guys think?

Oh yeah, since I don't post here often I should probably introduce myself briefly. I've been lurking on theoryland for years now (since around the CoT release) but rarely post anything. Hi!

amazinglarry
Old 08-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

This was brought up right after TGS; the problem is that channeling the True Power at Shayol Ghul supposedly burns you to a crisp if you try it.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglarry View Post
So what do you guys think?
In TGS, LTT said "something has to touch" he himself used saidin and the result was an imperfect seal and tainted saidin. Rand muses if it could be as simple as repeating what LTT did but using both powers, or if that would have just tainted both halves of the power. So it may be possible.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Youngling

amazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
This was brought up right after TGS; the problem is that channeling the True Power at Shayol Ghul supposedly burns you to a crisp if you try it.
Yeah, I remember this interview quote...that could be a problem. But the Rand-Moridin link adds another dimension. I wonder if Rand could channel the TP near Shayol Ghul safely if he used Moridin as a conduit while Moridin was located somewhere far away? Or could Rand effectively fry Moridin by reaching through him to channel the TP while Moridin was at SG?

amazinglarry
Old 08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

I think the foreshadowing points to Fain being the trick to resealing the Dark One. It seems unlikely that the DO would allow his own essence to be used against him, even if it meant cutting Moridin off from the TP for a little while. The problem is, as Ieyasu posted, that some part of the prison has to come into direct contact with the Dark One and if that part is made of the One Power you end up with a repeat scenario of what happened in the Age of Legends when the Source became tainted. Based on what happened with Rand's wound and at the Cleansing I think the ultimate solution will be to throw Fain into the prison and let him act as a buffer between the Dark One and the True Source so that he's the only thing that gets tainted.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default I think there is one in the queue

But it was not very well developed, so I haven't posted it yet.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

4Alethinos will become famous soon enough4Alethinos will become famous soon enough

It was my understanding of Herid Fel's statement that he was referring to the remaining seals to the prison not all of which are destroyed or broken.

We have debated long and hard about the extent to which the prison itself is damaged. I confess that it is not clear to me based upon the evidence just how or how much it may be damaged. What we are pretty sure about is that the Pattern was not a part of the prison per se. It was more like a moat about the castle walls and not necessarily in contact with the prison itself.

Since only the One Power was used to make the Bore, it seems that only the OP need be used to seal it up.

The TP is from the DO only and may or may not be needed to seal it. It may be needed to force the DO back so that the Bore can be closed by other means.

Another question is: Did Ishamael use a TP based balefire during the battle in Tear and Callandor was invulnerable to it? If so to the former, then it is likely that it is a tool to be used in defense against the DO at Shayul Ghul.

I have no clue how anyone mortal can duplicate or rebuild a prison made by the creator. When this universe was created.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Alethinos View Post
I have no clue how anyone mortal can duplicate or rebuild a prison made by the creator. When this universe was created.
To clarify, I was basically equating breaking the seals with destroying the prison. I suppose it's not a given that the two things are one in the same. Is it known whether the seals hold together the entire prison or just the seal that was placed on the bore by LTT? From the encyclopaedia WOT entry on the seals I got the impression that it was the whole prison, but I didn't look up the relevant passages in the books...

Either way, I don't really think it affects the general idea of the TP being used to seal up the DO.

Fain as a buffer between the DO and the OP makes sense given how Shadar Logoth was used to negate the taint during the cleansing and his expected Gollum-like role. It seems to me like using the same concept twice, though, something I wouldn't predict of Jordan.

amazinglarry
Old 08-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Youngling

iokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
The problem is, as Ieyasu posted, that some part of the prison has to come into direct contact with the Dark One and if that part is made of the One Power you end up with a repeat scenario of what happened in the Age of Legends when the Source became tainted.
It wasn't the source that became tainted, but merely the male half. You can tell from the books, and quotes from the man himself that women and men need to work together to achieve anything really great...like taking out the DO.

That was one of the serious flaws in LTT's attempt - it was only men. I guess you could argue that if women and men had attempted to seal the Bore together then the whole One Power would have been tainted, but that's hard to prove IMO.

I'm not saying that Fain won't play a part..although I hope he doesn't become the WoT gollum by being thrown into anything resembling a volcano.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure if RJ does that he will put a nice twist on it for us.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by iokepa View Post
That was one of the serious flaws in LTT's attempt - it was only men. I guess you could argue that if women and men had attempted to seal the Bore together then the whole One Power would have been tainted, but that's hard to prove IMO.
You could argue it, or you could just look up the interview quote where RJ explicitly states that if women had been involved then saidar would have been tainted too.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Youngling

Kalli has a spectacular aura aboutKalli has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Alethinos View Post
Since only the One Power was used to make the Bore, it seems that only the OP need be used to seal it up.

The TP is from the DO only and may or may not be needed to seal it. It may be needed to force the DO back so that the Bore can be closed by other means.
Now I know I don't post much and I've lurked for years but...

I've heard RJ describe the wheel as being more like a spiral... No channelers, then channelers the the Dark one then a battle and he gets resealed, and everyone forgets about channeling... etc. etc. etc.

So from there I think it kinda goes into the biggest question we'll never know about (in a non-plot line perspective.) Did the creator create the world with a with a thinness over the Dark ones prison?

Just my opinion but I think he did. Otherwise we would most likely be seeing a linear world and not a 'spiral' world... So if the spiral is to continue and it's not really the last battle then it will be patched. If it is the LAST BATTLE then the Dark one must be killed or Rand must do what the Creator did not....

I don't think so.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Youngling

iokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert View Post
You could argue it, or you could just look up the interview quote where RJ explicitly states that if women had been involved then saidar would have been tainted too.
Oops! That's what I get for posting before I'm done reading through the interview database.

*runs into the woods to keep reading*
Old 08-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by iokepa
I'm not saying that Fain won't play a part..although I hope he doesn't become the WoT gollum by being thrown into anything resembling a volcano
If Fain is paralleled with any Tolkien character, it's Grima Wormtongue, which would make his ultimate role to be the one who kills Ishamael (Saruman). Diving into a volcano to chase after his shiny jeweled dagger may or may not happen afterwards.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
If Fain is paralleled with any Tolkien character, it's Grima Wormtongue, which would make his ultimate role to be the one who kills Ishamael (Saruman). Diving into a volcano to chase after his shiny jeweled dagger may or may not happen afterwards.
The beauty of RJ is that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ

Question from Sil7ver: Is it true that many of your characters are based on Norse mythos?
RJ: Not many. Some. And no character is purely based on one myth or one legend.
For example: three obvious Merlin parallels are: Thom Merrilin, the Amyrlin Seat (and Tamyrlin), and Moiraine. Thom and Moiraine are both Gandalf parallels, and Gandalf was himself a Merlin parallel. Moiraine is also Morgan Le Fay. Morgause was Le Fay's sister, but Morgase is only Moiraine's sister by virtue of having married her brother. Both Morgase and Elayne are Guinevere parallels, and Nynaeve too. I could go on and on, but it gets complicated, and I'm hardly an expert on the legends, or Tolkien (I've read Tolkien, but it's been years, and I only read the trilogy+1). Oh yeah, and Gawyn is both Gawain and Mordred. Probably some other things too, like a bit of Judas or other betrayer roles.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalli View Post
If it is the LAST BATTLE then the Dark one must be killed or Rand must do what the Creator did not....

I don't think so.

Why not? There's liberty to think here, its TL! Though I don't see Rand doing it (LT can, not Rand) it might just be that the creator intended for the dragon to finish what he started. LT's musings about the Creator moving on and leaving men to sort things as they will, comes to mind here.

It's unlikely in the series since RJ has said that the nature of time is circular, but iirc, he never said it was impossible to break the wheel. Its interesting even if it doesn't happen.

E: FWIW, I disagree with LTT. Even an artist who makes a work of art tends to revisit and enjoy what he made occasionally. There's no reason the creator shouldn't return to see how things are progressing. Even if he plays no part.

Last edited by greatwolf; 08-11-2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: to add a thought
Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
E: FWIW, I disagree with LTT. Even an artist who makes a work of art tends to revisit and enjoy what he made occasionally. There's no reason the creator shouldn't return to see how things are progressing. Even if he plays no part.
That's what he said, isn't it:
Quote:
I WILL TAKE NO PART. ONLY THE CHOSEN ONE CAN DO WHAT MUST BE DONE, IF HE WILL.
Of course, could still be the DO, after all.
He may be reasoning that the last of the Ones Chosen to Rule will be the Chosen One.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
Why not? There's liberty to think here, its TL! Though I don't see Rand doing it (LT can, not Rand) it might just be that the creator intended for the dragon to finish what he started. LT's musings about the Creator moving on and leaving men to sort things as they will, comes to mind here.

It's unlikely in the series since RJ has said that the nature of time is circular, but iirc, he never said it was impossible to break the wheel. Its interesting even if it doesn't happen.

It wasnt LTT's thought, reread it.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Youngling

halo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to all

i have always imagined the more as a wound in the side of the DO's prison, and the seals are a cork.
e.g. your shot in the arm and some one decides to stop the bleeding by sticking a cork in it. sure it may work for a while, but eventual the cork erodes and we have the same problem. as many have said, how can a man duplicate what the creator has done, i say he cant. instead he must pull the cork out and then stitch the healthy ends of the prison together.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Unless it was made to be duplicated by mankind.