art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Aginor studied how fades travel, and failed to figure it out. One would assume that he had considered the TP as an ingredient, and one would also assume that he had tried to test that.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Aginor studied how fades travel, and failed to figure it out. One would assume that he had considered the TP as an ingredient, and one would also assume that he had tried to test that.
Ive always thought that the percentage of Fade throwback to human stock fits around the percentage of channelers should that be a human population instead. They may not be able to utilize the one power directly but it has always made sense to me that Fade's are the channeler gene coming out in the human-stock gene pool of the trollocks.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

I thought that too, but IIRC the idea was nixed by RJ. Lemme see if I can find the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS
Myrddraal are not Trollocs who can channel. Their powers are totally independent from the One Power. They really are just throwbacks to the human stock. Harriet added that there are also animal throwbacks, but they just die.
Testing for the TP would be hard, if not impossible right? Aside from asking the Dark One if Myrdraal use it, I really don't think you could get an answer. It's not TP in the traditional sense though, that much is certain. Semerhage proved that one.

Last edited by Neilbert; 07-31-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert View Post
I thought that too, but IIRC the idea was nixed by RJ. Lemme see if I can find the quote.
lol yeah that pretty much killed that idea. TP was used in their creation so I guess it lies along that path. Thanks for the quote.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

I noticed this little quote as yet overlooked in this thread when I brought my copy of TEOTW to loan to a co-worker:

Quote:
Eye of the World CH: Prologue - Dragonmount
Tossing back his black cloak, Elan Morin flexed his hands. "A pity for you," he mused, "that one of your Sisters is not here. I was never very skilled at Healing, and I follow a different power now. But even one of them could only give you a few lucid minutes, if you did not destroy her first. What I can do will serve as well, for my purposes." His sudden smile was cruel. "But I fear Shai'tan's healing is different from the sort you know. Be healed, Lews Therin!" He extended his hands, and the light dimmed as if a shadow had been laid across the sun.
It was kind of conspicuous, and maybe intentional, maybe accidental. Perhaps to conceal the darkness, the TP channeler has to invert his/her weave.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

It could also be that the DO was looking in on what was going on. After all, Ishamael had just named him, and that presumably draws his attention.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
My read on it - my inclination and apparently others to tie the dark aura to Rand's channeling the TP looks to be on target (although, this connection is pretty...obvious as it comes about immediately after he channels it...so not a huge accomplishment by any means to connect the two.) However, while I like to make seemingly thin connections between events and in most cases, this connection that I made and that HBFFerreira appears to have made two days prior, from Brandon's response, would seem to also be on target.
It's also a connection that some Taimandred supporters made. Not saying they were right, just that there were people who did claim Taim used the TP in LoC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam
Although, not a terribly huge stretch either - Taim having channeled the True Power. However, it would suggest it came prior to Taim entering that room - which now makes me want to go back and read prior to it to see if we are shown that moment, without realizing it. Something happening that couldn't be or wasn't detected (I can just hear Taim Killed Asmodean theorists now ).
Lol. Who would have guessed with the series winding down that he'd be boldly trying to wake people up to Taim. Funny that.

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

4Alethinos will become famous soon enough4Alethinos will become famous soon enough

I am also responding to Tam's statement that Taim has used the TP.

I was under the impression that only Shamael/Moridin can use the TP at this time. We have never, IIRC, seen any other DF or Chosen use the TP.

Why would Taim be so favored over all of the others of the Chosen who have survived to this point? I do not believe that he has been so favored.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

The Darkness around Taim isn't noticed until WH, I believe. That has nothing to do with Asmodean, who died in LOC.

It does however show that Taim is more connected and appreciated in the Dark than the common wisdom believes.

"Why would Taim be so favored over all of the others of the Chosen who have survived to this point?" - 4A

Why wouldn't he? He controls the largest force of male channelers dedicated to the Dark with Rand's permission. He's ultimately been able to do what no other Chosen has. So why not favor Taim when Moghedien claims 29 others had been granted the right to use the TP before [ACOS 25]. It's not like the Dark One won't grant the right to use the TP to more people than just his favorites. After all, we must now also assume that he has granted Rand that right. And he's not even a Darkfriend.

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Alethinos View Post
Why would Taim be so favored over all of the others of the Chosen who have survived to this point? I do not believe that he has been so favored.
Throughout most of the series, those other Forsaken most likely also could have used the TP, if they had wanted to.
But they were well aware of the pitfalls, and that is why they preferred other options.

Taim may not have been informed of the dangers of the use of the TP. And he may have only used it in the period before it was reserved for Moridin only.

So there does not seem to be any reason to consider this aspect of it strange at all. I'm not convinced Taim ever used it, but the "the Forsaken weren't allowed to, so why would Taim" argument holds no water. It simply fails because of the timing of things.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Youngling

JonJon Gaidin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default True Power vs One Power traveling

Some potential questions - does the Pattern fix the rip created every time Moridin uses the true power to travel? What was unique about what Mierin and her fellow researchers did that prevented the Pattern from fixing the Bore on it's own? (ok, so he will RAFO that one).[/QUOTE]

Are there diff.gateways? Depending on what you want to do?(Travel,Skim, enter TAR in the flesh)Would you use a diff. gateway to get to outside of pattern vacuole that Chosen had a meeting at once? Are some gateways made w/ only True Power as opposed to One Power? Does it matter which Power you use? Is there a diff. between nice uniform(open then close)Gate as opposed to a "rip"? Thank You