art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): rtolhurstalle,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default An interesting question around here...

Quote:
You being sarcastic?
It's one of Terez's favorite subjects. I would say, she and Callandor are the most well read, regarding book material, on the subject of LTT and Rand in regards to all WoT fandom I have either met or conversed with over the last twelve years, but I'm sure I could call on a couple of people to dispute that claim.

So - as to her reply, I'm guessing only sarcastic in the sense that she believes she will be surprised if you come up with any arguments she hasn't seen. However, I'm sure she'd love to see someone come up with some good ones and she'll argue them with you to death.

But what do I know...ok, back to collecting new failed Hunt codes!

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 09-07-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 AM
Youngling

JaconKin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
It's one of Terez's favorite subjects. I would say, she and Callandor are the most well read, regarding book material, on the subject of LTT and Rand in regards to all WoT fandom I have either met or conversed with over the last twelve years, but I'm sure I could call on a couple of people to dispute that claim.

So - as to her reply, I'm guessing only sarcastic in the sense that she believes she will be surprised if you come up with any arguments she hasn't seen. However, I'm sure she'd love to see someone come up with some good ones and she'll argue them with you to death.

But what do I know...ok, back to collecting new failed Hunt codes!
Ah a I see a Gauntlet. Basically what I'm proposing is more of a character study overall though, having basically a degree in English and the desire to become a writer myself, studying and analyzing characters and their progressions is a field I find most interesting.

I will say the scope of my actual project now thinking of it will be rather large and extensive and honestly can't even begin to estimate how many Word pages it will consume.

I will probably begin taking some serious notes and outlining in the next several days though.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Youngling

Bryan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaconKin View Post
No, that is just the effects of channeling for the first time.

He is first recognized as Lewis Therin, by Lanfear in The Great Hunt, though that can be construed by her desire for him. Yet, in the same book the Dead Heroes that come back also call him Lewis Therin, in this there should be very little doubt.

I think he first, I could be wrong, sort of senses the presence in TSR and actually takes control of him when He spits in Lanfear's Face, And you Merin Always desired power, or something to close to this wording. Yet we as readers don't actually hear the voice till TFoH.

Yet, before this Lewis Therin's presence is at least hinted at in The Dragon Reborn, Rand all a sudden able to Weave Balefire, and like wise in TSR when he Weaves the Lighting Bolt thing that kills all the Trollocs.
Not trying to be argumentative about this, but has it been explicitly stated that those were simply the effects of his first channelings? My impression was that generally that left the channeler feeling sick, not acting like his alter ego. He seemed to act like Lews Therin in those scenes, and I don't think it's a stretch to think that channeling for the first time(s) could have stirred up those characteristics in a subtle way.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Not trying to be argumentative about this, but has it been explicitly stated that those were simply the effects of his first channelings? My impression was that generally that left the channeler feeling sick, not acting like his alter ego. He seemed to act like Lews Therin in those scenes, and I don't think it's a stretch to think that channeling for the first time(s) could have stirred up those characteristics in a subtle way.
On what do you base that impression, pray tell me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEOTW, Chapter 21, Listen to the Wind
"Perhaps as much as eight or ten years ago the age varies, but always comes young there was something you wanted more than anything else in the world, something you needed. And you got it. A branch suddenly falling where you could pull yourself out of a pond instead of drowning. A friend, or a pet, getting well when everyone thought they would die."You felt nothing special at the time, but a week or ten days later you had your first reaction to touching the True Source. Perhaps fever and chills that came on suddenly and put you to bed, then disappeared after only a few hours. None of the reactions, and they vary, lasts more than a few hours. Headaches and numbness and exhilaration all mixed together, and you taking foolish chances or acting giddy. A spell of dizziness, when you tripped and stumbled whenever you tried to move, when you could not say a sentence without your tongue mangling half the words. There are others. Do you remember?"
Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Youngling

He gets sick later after he channels to escape the backroom of that inn when cornered by the Darkfriends. It is detailed more in a flashback than when he is actually sick.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, but the point is: the strange behaviour is also a common feature of this affliction, so this is not at all a clear indication of the emergence of LTT. It may be, but we have no reason to think it is.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Youngling

Bryan is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair enough, obviously I forgot about the other possible side effects. I've been doing my second read through recently and thought, well maybe that's Lews Therin poking out, and I thought it was kinda cool that Jordan threw that in there so early. But I guess it's probably not the case.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Youngling

Funny how 2 songs can sum up the case of Rand in many ways.

Alice In Chains Nutshell Lyrics
We chase misprinted lies
We face the path of time
And yet I fight
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Oooh... Oooh...
Oooh... Oooh...

My gift of self is raped
My privacy is raked
And yet I find
And yet I find
Repeating in my head
If I can't be my own
I'd feel better dead

Oooh... Oooh...
Oooh... Oooh...

After Dragonmount:

Pink Floyd Coming Back To Life Lyrics

Where were you when I was burned and broken
While the days slipped by from my window watching
Where were you when I was hurt and helpless
Because the things you say and the things you do surround me
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard
I was staring straight into the shining sun

Lost in thought and lost in time
While the seeds of life and the seeds of change were planted
Outside the rain fell dark and slow
While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistible pastime
I took a heavenly ride through our silence
I knew the moment had arrived
For killing the past and coming back to life

I took a heavenly ride through our silence
I knew the waiting had begun
And headed straight..into the shining sun

Last edited by JaconKin; 09-08-2010 at 03:55 AM.