art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Guild Wars: Theoryland
User Name
Password

Old 08-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Elder

czymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really nice
Default This. Is. GAMESCOM! - A compilation of information streaming out of gamescom

Whole bunch of new info today and still more to come later. As the day goes on I will post new info here. The link that follows is from guildwars2guru.com and has all the latest links to articles and interviews and gameplay videos.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...ing-t6651.html

Necromancers Confirmed as Fourth Profession in Guild Wars 2

http://www.tentonhammer.com/events/g...ncer-confirmed

Last edited by czymann; 08-19-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

so where does that leave us?

Warrior, Elementalist, Ranger and Necro. 8 Classes 6 we're familiar with, 2 we're not. So far there's the Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist and Necro. They've confirmed that there will be no dedicated healing class in GW2, so no monk. That leaves Mesmer, Assassin, Ritualist, Dervish & Paragon for the last two.

Granted, I can see the Assassin, Dervish being combined into one class as a type of light infantry type. The Paragon is very similar to the Warrior in many respoects and might just be folded into the Warrior class. Could see the Ritualist and the Mesmer as the two old professions. I have a feeling they're going to have a tech type class as one of the two new ones.

Stormy, you remember that thing where they described what the classes would use for armour? I cannot seem to find that.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Elder

czymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really nice

Well I do believe that they decided to go with armor system similar to GW. Light for scholar.Medium for adventurer.Heavy for soldier. When they said that all armor across all classes, I believe at that time they were going with secondary classes.
However there is atm no specific looking armors for each class. If I can find which interview says this,I will post it here.

Ok I did find a recent interview. And it brings up more questions than it answers.

Will there be race and/or profession-specific armor sets?

(Quiet moment) I currently... don't think we've released any of that type of stuff yet. It is fully within our grasp of something to do. All the armor we currently have in the game is across all the races and classes. But it is possible for us to do race-specific combos, but.. right now I'm not sure on that one.

Now thing is I keep hearing that the classes will be restricted on the armor such as I mentioned above. Perhaps the name of the armor is the same but maybe the armor rating is different.

I think Mesmer(scholar) and assassin(adventurer) will make it. The other two will be new classes. One I see as some sort of gunner/tech type(adventurer). The other soldier class I think will be a holy damage class.

Last edited by czymann; 08-20-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
so where does that leave us?

Warrior, Elementalist, Ranger and Necro. 8 Classes 6 we're familiar with, 2 we're not. So far there's the Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist and Necro. They've confirmed that there will be no dedicated healing class in GW2, so no monk. That leaves Mesmer, Assassin, Ritualist, Dervish & Paragon for the last two.

Granted, I can see the Assassin, Dervish being combined into one class as a type of light infantry type. The Paragon is very similar to the Warrior in many respoects and might just be folded into the Warrior class. Could see the Ritualist and the Mesmer as the two old professions. I have a feeling they're going to have a tech type class as one of the two new ones.

Stormy, you remember that thing where they described what the classes would use for armour? I cannot seem to find that.
Mesmer should be one of the other classes since that was one mentioned in Ghosts of Ascalon. (just like Necromancer was)

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
Mesmer should be one of the other classes since that was one mentioned in Ghosts of Ascalon. (just like Necromancer was)
Something just occurred to me. If they mention Mesmers in the book, do they mention Monks or why they disappear for GW2?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Something just occurred to me. If they mention Mesmers in the book, do they mention Monks or why they disappear for GW2?
No mention of monks at all. However there will be 2 more books.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

ah, well, it was just an idea to see if anything can be gleaned. This is Theoryland after all.

Also, I was looking at the GW2 wiki and came across this page.

Looking at what's there, yeah, Mesmer is going to be one as I cannot think of what else this could be for. Granted, it is concept art, but it looks a lot like this part of the professions image, especially when you note the crooked elbow and the ornaments on the left side look a hell of a lot like the bladed fan.

This one looks like some sort of Charr and I'm thinking the three tubes on the top right are likely to be some form of firearm or rifle. I'm guessing that there's going to be some form of technician/inventor/engineer class that can be played.

This looks a hell of a lot like an assassin.

This last one, looks like this bit of concept art although it mostly looks like a Warrior. Although we've had 6 old classes, Elementalist, Warrior, Ranger, Necromancer, Mesmer and Assassin, so it would have to be one of the two new classes along with the Mechanic/Engineer class. Don't really know what it could be though. We've got the 4 casters in the light armour, I'd say the Assassin and the Engineer are the medium armours. So this other new class and the Warrior would be the two heavy armour classes, but I'm sorta hard pressed to think as to what it could be, unless it's some new take on the Paragon class or something.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Youngling

Atanu Yuan is an unknown quantity at this point

I must say that this is absolutely beautiful. Dynamic events are going to be amazing. That is a real raid unlike being limited to 10 or 25 people like in World of Warcraft. You could potentially have a couple hundred people there and the encounter would dynamically change in difficulty to accommodate for that. It's always the same fight in WoW.

Last edited by Atanu Yuan; 09-01-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Elder

I have come across new info about the armor. Any character can wear any armor because the armor is cosmetic only. You can socket the armor with crests that gives it abilities.

Personalization is a big deal in this game, and this is also reflected in your appearance. The actual armor your character wears is purely cosmetic; stats and bonuses are instead conferred through crests that you socket into your armor. While it does sacrifice realism for the sake of personalization, since in the real world a pirate costume is obviously less effective than a full suit of plate armor, the crests will allow you to give your character a look you actually like, and will hopefully keep everyone from running around in identical gear. It also allows characters to become legitimately recognizable beyond the name above their head, with the idea being that you start recognizing people on your server simply based on their looks.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

APB was like that, only there was no armour, but you did have some character upgrades that gave extra health or you took less damage. All the clothes etc, just changed the way you looked and you can do a ton of different stuff with it.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Elder

I am not sure how I feel about this quite yet except,I really do not want to see some squishies running around in full platemail.
Ok apparently there is still some confusion over this. Devs are basically contradicting themselves or the people who are transcribing these are getting it wrong.
Soo there is no definite answers about armor as of yet.

Last edited by czymann; 09-08-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

I would likely say that, within reason, armour won't matter. The casters will be restricted to light looking armour while the warriors are the only ones with platemail and the like. Within those confines though it'll likely be whatever goes, or so I hope. There are some rather neat armours out there (Gwen's deldrimor for one) that would be neat to see, but being able to do our own thing might be even better.

Actually, in the case of the assassin class it'll be a hell of a lot better because I hated most assassin armours...stupid useless blades all over the place.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Elder

My hope is class restricted armors with vanity slots for clothing. More in elaborate than GW1.