art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlwoman View Post
I am attempting to recreate a local restaurant's (Kerbey Lane) tomato pie recipe. They have a summer seasonal menu every year, and I go 2-3 times per week to have the tomato pie.

I made one last weekend, but I overestimated the amount of green onion and fresh basil, underestimated the garlic, and I couldn't ever get the feta to melt on top. Now that I've had it twice this week so far, I've been carefully noting the quantity of stuff, so I'm going to try another pass at it tonight.

If I can get it closer to KL's product, then I'll probably eat the whole darn thing myself.
To melt the feta, did you consider tossing it under the broiler for a little bit?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Big go tonight!!!

We are making fresh guacamole (tomato, onion, garlic, fresh cilantro, avacado, salt and pepper and a drip or two of lemon), frying up some bacon, slicing some fresh farmers market tomato, onion, and some lettuce. I'm going to be toasting bread, sourdough if there's any left, rosemary, basil and garlic if there's not. Then I'm going to take some fresh grated dill havarti and pack it on top with a lotta mayo and go for it. I'll have to dig through the beer fridge and see what sounds good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDog
Anyway, stew meat, carrots, cabbage, onion, vegetable broth, and a bottle of Black Butte Porter.
Sounds awesome, except I'm not allowed to eat cooked cabbage unless it's a special occasion (like my wife won't be home). Sauerkraut is an absolute "Taer will never be allowed to eat this again" food.

Incidentally, anybody have any advice on how I can get the wax out of my cast iron dutch oven? I got it for Christmas and I've tried everything I can think of short of piling charcoal up on the ground and setting the oven over the top of it. I've had it so hot I was afraid it was going to bend or break and it still has wax in it. All I want to do is season the damn thing. I'm beginning to wonder if I should call the manufacturer and complain about the wax.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
Incidentally, anybody have any advice on how I can get the wax out of my cast iron dutch oven?
This may help. Then again, maybe not.
Why did you put wax in that oven, anyway?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:27 PM

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
This may help. Then again, maybe not.
Why did you put wax in that oven, anyway?
This is more what I meant, but it didn't help anymore than the wax on wax off method.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Elder

bowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
To melt the feta, did you consider tossing it under the broiler for a little bit?
The feta chunks got nice and toasted on the top (baked at 350 for about an hour), but they never even started melting. I read that feta really doesn't melt unless you possibly mix it with milk. I know that the feta crumbles I got at Whole Foods don't have nearly the amount of moisture that others tend to have, especially the block feta, so I'm thinking that was part of the problem. I'll do a bit of testing on the feta I bought this time, and I might mix some milk or Greek yogurt into the crumbles to help the melting.

Quote:
Incidentally, anybody have any advice on how I can get the wax out of my cast iron dutch oven? I got it for Christmas and I've tried everything I can think of short of piling charcoal up on the ground and setting the oven over the top of it. I've had it so hot I was afraid it was going to bend or break and it still has wax in it. All I want to do is season the damn thing. I'm beginning to wonder if I should call the manufacturer and complain about the wax.
I read that if your pan is manufactured by Lodge (and it probably is, since I know that's what my assorted family members can find around the area of buy), they use a varnish instead of a wax. Here's what I found:

Quote:
If your Dutch oven is made by LODGE, the protective coating is a sprayed varnish coating, which must be scrubbed off. Heat the Dutch oven inside your home oven to 225oF. then with a hot pad, lower the oven into hot soapy water, and scrub the Dutch oven with a S.O.S. pad. Scrub the inside and outside of the Dutch oven very well, rinse well, and towel dry. Then place the Dutch oven back into your oven at 225 to dry for about 10 to 15 minutes. The only way to dry cast iron is to dry it completely. I do mine in the oven because; the heat is not concentrated in one spot, as it is on the stove top, which can cause minute cracks.

If your Dutch oven is made by any of the other companies that make outdoor Dutch ovens, the protective coating is dipped paraffin wax, which can be burned off. Do this outdoors in your gas B.B.Q. or, a kettle type charcoal B.B.Q. like a Webber. In a charcoal B.B.Q., use Mesquite charcoal for fuel because it burns much hotter than briquettes. Start the charcoal or light the gas B.B.Q., set on high and pre-heat the B.B.Q. When the charcoal is white, spread it out a little so that is not to close to the cooking grate. Place the oven onto the cooking grate, upside down, and close the lid on the B.B.Q.
Heat the oven to 500 to 550 for 15 minutes. Close the B.B.Q. and cook the Dutch oven for about 1 hour at 500 to 550, or until the oven stops smoking. Cool the scrub the oven and dry as directed above.
It think the key is heat to soften the coating, then a lot of soap, scrubbing pads, and elbow grease. Another website suggested boiling vinegar in the pan, since the vinegar might strip or soften the coating. You could also try scrubbing it out with salt (I use salt to scrub mine out all the time). Good luck. It's a pain the patootie.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:

I read that if your pan is manufactured by Lodge (and it probably is, since I know that's what my assorted family members can find around the area of buy), they use a varnish instead of a wax. Here's what I found:

It think the key is heat to soften the coating, then a lot of soap, scrubbing pads, and elbow grease. Another website suggested boiling vinegar in the pan, since the vinegar might strip or soften the coating. You could also try scrubbing it out with salt (I use salt to scrub mine out all the time). Good luck. It's a pain the patootie.
I'll see what happens...

Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Elder

bowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'll see what happens...
Here's a method that sounds intriguing...get a steel wool pad for your hand/detail sander (I KNOW you have one), and go to town. No elbow grease required, just a vibrating hand.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No elbow grease required, just a vibrating hand.
I...yeah.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
I...yeah.
Exactly.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here's a method that sounds intriguing...get...your hand...and go to town. No elbow grease required, just a vibrating hand.

Edited for clarity.

ROFLMAO

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 09-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel Gill View Post
Thanks!
Couple of clarifications....do you leave the beef in it? (maybe a stupid question...) also what is OXO??
Yes, definitely leave the beef in. I just use stewing beef. And OXO is a brand of beef bouillon powder.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Yes, definitely leave the beef in.
Giggity.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Edited for clarity.

ROFLMAO
I aim to please.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

I made vegetable soup with the bits and pieces that I harvested last week - two leeks, about a lb of potatoes, a cabbage, lb of carrots, a few onions, garlic. All from my garden. Everything chopped really small, then cooked all the vegetables apart from the potatoes in olive oil with some fresh herbs, doused the whole thing in stock (I cheated and used OXO) and added the tiny chopped potatoes, cooked for about 10 more minutes, and that was it.
I made so much though that I added some soup noodles to some of it the next day, and bits of meat to another lot and froze quite a bit of it, because otherwise we'd never stop eating soup.

The cabbage gives it a nice sour note and it's lovely with added creme fraiche

And for the first time in a good while I can actually say I feel quite hungry now.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Elder

AbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant future

Man all this talk of food is making me entirely too hungry. I can't wait until I'm not a broke med student and can afford spend the money and energy on good food.

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I ever met."
Abraham Lincoln

Draw a crazy picture, write a nutty poem. Sing a mumble-gumble song, whistle through your comb. Do a loony-goony dance 'cross the kitchen floor. Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
I am attempting to recreate a local restaurant's (Kerbey Lane) tomato pie recipe. They have a summer seasonal menu every year, and I go 2-3 times per week to have the tomato pie.

I made one last weekend, but I overestimated the amount of green onion and fresh basil, underestimated the garlic, and I couldn't ever get the feta to melt on top. Now that I've had it twice this week so far, I've been carefully noting the quantity of stuff, so I'm going to try another pass at it tonight.

If I can get it closer to KL's product, then I'll probably eat the whole darn thing myself.
Hmm....I haven't had Kerby Lane's tomato pie.

Ill have to try it out before posting my recipe. (Un)fortunately, there is a Kirby Lane 1 block from one of my advisors' office (that is a grammatically challenging sentence, btw).

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
Hmm....I haven't had Kerby Lane's tomato pie.

Ill have to try it out before posting my recipe. (Un)fortunately, there is a Kirby Lane 1 block from one of my advisors' office (that is a grammatically challenging sentence, btw).
I love it. I didn't get a chance to rere-create it yet, but it's on the agenda for this week. If you get a chance to try it, let me know what you think.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Coming from Polish heritage, borscht was always served on special occasions. This weekend I made my first Borscht ever, using fresh veggies from a friend's garden. Using my Bapcia's (Grandma in Polish) hints I managed to make it taste almost like hers.

It turned out quite good for a first try, and is great comfort food in this cool weather.
yum!

another yummy beet dish is what I know as "summer soup" - because it's served cold. It's mostly beet and potatoes cut up into smal-ish cubes and boiled together, then drained and cooled. Then add small bits of pickles and any other veggies you might like. Some people like fresh red cabbage for the crunch, can also add sauerkraut but in that case it can't be too vinegary and needs to be literally sour, like the name says. When I was a kid, mom would sometimes cut up hot dogs to add some meat, but this is purely a matter of taste. Mix everything together and add cold buttermilk to make it a soup, season with salt and pepper, parsely and dill. Spring onion is also good. Add a freshly (hard)boiled and cut up egg on top.

chevre - yuck! one of the few things that I don't eat. along with lard and manna. And I have been known to make concessions on the lard - the Hungarian kind, with pepper... mmmm....

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

I bought a new book a few days ago: 365/Dish a day Plus one for leap years. It's basically a calendar with a recipe every day, and I've decided to stick to it for a while, because it has a bunch of dishes in it that I either normally wouldn't cook, or possibly wouldn't even try because I've never had them before. So far we've had Chargrilled pepper salad and Hot Red Berry pastry nests. Tomorrow it's Chicken breasts with smoked ham and parmesan. Mmmmm

I know this is going to (deliberately) be misunderstood by a bunch of people, but I'm going to write it anyway: I like trying new things