art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): bautaubogabr,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Ancient

pops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to pops taer
Default 6 Day Postal Delivery in U. S. in jeopardy..

This is a post on Radio Station KZIM 960, AM radio station in Cape Girardeau, MO. We spent approximately 15 minutes with Talk Show host Faune Riggin. Zaela listened in via the net. It was a treat, and as a former Miss South Dakota, Faune, pronounced Fawn like the deer, is pretty darn easy on the eyes as well as being an excellent talk show host. She did help us a great deal, since her Dad is a retired mail carrier. So now I'm a celebrity. LOL

The United States Postal Service has asked Congress for permission to eliminate Saturday deliveries. The Post Master General Jack Potter cited loss of 238-billion dollars if the move wasn’t made. This was proven to be a false number. Yet some are still using it as a way to create phony crisis. Members of the APWU Cape Area Local 4088 want their voices heard. President Greg Davidson says 2006 had the highest volume of mail ever recorded and delivery reductions were tried in the past and all failed. He tells KZIM KSIM its not just Netflix and business mailers we’re talking about. Lives could depend on it… Prescription medications are mailed everyday. Millions of them from pharmacies, VA hospitals, and warehouses that are vital to health and survival for many. The APWU will be picketing at the Cape downtown post office Monday the 20th while handing out literature about the myths and direct falsehoods being circulated. Vice President Darrell Chapman spoke on behalf of all members of the union. He tells KZIM KSIM the big question for those 10 years away from retirement is they take away Saturdays. That's the first step. What comes NEXT!? If branches close and small towns lose offices due to a 5 day week there will be no USPS soon. HR 173 is co sponsored by over 250 in congress. This is the only hope to stop the move.

Officially adoptive Theoryland father of Birgitte, Cary Fairy, Sarafelle, leanne, Salem, Paige from New Mexico and J'Lo.

Lord but not Master to - Lady tanaww, Lady Tru, Lady Anaiya, Lady Aly, Lady Ishara, Lady Teri, Lady Jen and Lady Gina.

You can never do something again. You are only able to do something similar.

Last edited by pops taer; 09-14-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah...its a damn shame too as the USPS is still the best mail delivery service in the business. They just cant turn a profit for whatever reason.

The prescription one will effect my household which will suck. Other things will suffer too as the USPS is the only entity willing to mail certain things (like live animals for example).

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Yeah...its a damn shame too as the USPS is still the best mail delivery service in the business. They just cant turn a profit for whatever reason.

The prescription one will effect my household which will suck. Other things will suffer too as the USPS is the only entity willing to mail certain things (like live animals for example).
Well, they probably can't turn a profit because it costs more than $0.44 per letter to support delivery to every household in the US.

Another dynamic to this is the growing postal-hybrid solutions offered by UPS and FedEx. A lot of people may not realize it, but tons of companies use UPS Basic or FedEx Smart Post for residential deliveries. They drop off the package at a USPS DDU (post office) and the USPS makes the last mile delivery. It's way cheaper for the carriers and should be for the consumer as well (though it depends on the shipper).

Anyway, whereas UPS and FedEx charge $15 for delivery on a Saturday, USPS does it at the same cost as a weekday. If the USPS takes that away, it eliminates a part of what makes the hybrids so attractive to the carriers and shippers. And that means shippers will go back to traditional solutions that cost more for consumers.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have no issue with a major raise in the cost of stamps. As you say, 44 cents is an artificially low price. They could raise that by 50% and it'd still be pretty fair.

I wonder if that would be enough to make a difference? The one problem is the perception that the post office should be a for profit industry. It'd be better if it was simply able to lower the amount it costs overall instead of making it purely a fee-based industry.

I'd personally rather use the post office than UPS or Fedex.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 09-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd have no issue with a major raise in the cost of stamps. As you say, 44 cents is an artificially low price. They could raise that by 50% and it'd still be pretty fair.

I wonder if that would be enough to make a difference? The one problem is the perception that the post office should be a for profit industry. It'd be better if it was simply able to lower the amount it costs overall instead of making it purely a fee-based industry.

I'd personally rather use the post office than UPS or Fedex.
I'm not sure what they could do to lower costs. Pay carriers less, or close post offices? Or maybe not deliver on Saturday?

The for-profit guys have extremely extensive cost reduction strategies for every step of the delivery process (one of my employees used to be a cost modeler for UPS...fascinating stuff). And they still cost considerably more than the USPS.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

I never ship anything USPS. The real demise of USPS was the internet and instant communication. No way am I sending a letter when I can email. The loss of everyday mailing (letters, bills, etc.) has hurt them badly. As for shipping, nope. Especially not air.

USPS contracts their air shipping out, they use to go through Emery Worldwide when I worked there. Postal was the bottom of the bottom, we shipped everything else out before we shipped postal, just was not cost effective to ship them and USPS knew it. Fedex has the contract now, and I would be surprised if they treated postal any better than Emery did.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

I've never had any issues whatsoever when shipping by air with USPS.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

Erm... southerners are slow.... Pops you were on a full 30 min...now mind you in New England the amount of talk would have equaled 15 min or less but still. LOL

And I always use USPS too, never had an issue

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 09-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

The live chickens I ordered are coming via USPS Express Air Mail...I shall withold my judgment of said service depending on the condition of the birds.

However, it should be noted that neither UPS or FEDEX will ship live chickens...so there's that.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The live chickens I ordered are coming via USPS Express Air Mail...I shall withold my judgment of said service depending on the condition of the birds.

However, it should be noted that neither UPS or FEDEX will ship live chickens...so there's that.
WTF are you doing with live chickens? Is there a curse on your bat or something?

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

We use to ship lab mice, nasty thing that, especially when no one puts it on the manifest and the pilot doesn't turn on the heat.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
WTF are you doing with live chickens? Is there a curse on your bat or something?
Curveball, bats afraid....

In all seriousness, I'm raising them for eggs.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it then be easier just to buy eggs?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Curveball, bats afraid....

In all seriousness, I'm raising them for eggs.
Get ready for the Real Egg taste. It's not the same and it definitely takes some getting used to. ~Taer says this with true knowlede of freshly laid eggs~

I can't tell you what the difference is, it's like trying to describe what caviar tastes like.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Wouldn't it then be easier just to buy eggs?
I want fresh, free range eggs...buying them isn't the same.

Quote:
Get ready for the Real Egg taste. It's not the same and it definitely takes some getting used to. ~Taer says this with true knowlede of freshly laid eggs~
I've had chickens before...I'm looking forward to real eggs once again. I have 2 Orphingtons, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Wynadottes coming.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Well, they probably can't turn a profit because it costs more than $0.44 per letter to support delivery to every household in the US.
Who still mails letters? If that service were entirely cut nothing would be harmed. It's all about them packages.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert View Post
Who still mails letters? If that service were entirely cut nothing would be harmed. It's all about them packages.
I still mail the occasional bill at the $0.44 rate...but that's about it.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert View Post
Insurance companies, financial companies, lawyers, governments.

Yeah, I guess you're right.