art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Prologue discussion (SPOILERS!)

Ahhhhhh, victory. And weirdness...I wonder if RJ was pulling our legs about the bubble of evil in Cairhien?

And Graendal...not surprised, though I figured she was dead at first. I've wavered back and forth on it a lot in the last year.

Last edited by Terez; 09-20-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Also, the last POV made me cry.

I'm going back to read it again now. Read it too fast...
Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Youngling

halo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to all

i only got up to gthe grendal pov on my break. cant wait to read the rest
Old 09-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Elder

arioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nice

So who killed Asmodean?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
And Graendal...not surprised, though I figured she was dead at first. I've wavered back and forth on it a lot in the last year.
Yeah, I pretty much convinced myself she was still alive after my recent re-listen of Lord of Chaos.

But Aran'gar and Delana... I kind of hoped that Egwene would be able to take them out or something, especially after all Halima's head massages. Oh well.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Youngling

The Seeker will become famous soon enough

Wow. Im only part way through but the Graendal scene was awesome. Was not quite expecting that.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Ahhhhhh, victory. And weirdness...I wonder if RJ was pulling our legs about the bubble of evil in Cairhien?
Dunno. The glossary of TPoD is pretty explicit, unless you consider that RJ put the term 'bubble of evil' in quotes to imply that perhaps it wasn't a bubble of evil after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE: Path of Daggers
CHAPTER: Glossary

Hanlon, Daved: .... From there Hanlon took the White Lions to Cairhien under orders to further the rebellion agains the Dragon Reborn. The White Lions were destroyed by a "bubble of evil," and Hanlon has been ordered back to Caemlyn for purposes as yet unknown.
I would have said before this that it was in quotes simply as a reference to the specific effect...
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Youngling

Ahumm will become famous soon enough

That was great.

Too short by around 57 chapters and an epilogue, though.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Youngling

The Seeker will become famous soon enough

So much is covered in this prologue. I knew we were gonna see some new powers from Fain but I wasnt quite expecting that. It seems his powers are evolving with him and he no longer has to touch someone to affect them. This mist of his is powerful.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Elder

arioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nice

The Cairhien "bubble of evil" sounded too much like Mashadar to me to begin with.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Red herring

Quote:
Originally Posted by arioch View Post
So who killed Asmodean?
Aviendha or Lanfear of course...just someone other than Graendal. Thankfully, this is not much but it did make me grimace.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

I was thinking RJ said in interview that it was a bubble of evil. But that was the wind at Fal Dara...

I ended up not putting the Mashadar hypothesis into the theory because everyone seemed to dismiss the idea out of hand, so I figured I'd just establish that there were a number of ways his character might have evolved to be able to pull it off, and that his character seemed scripted for this purpose...to stab both sides at once.

Also...the march toward Rand's death is on. Fain has a plan...but I doubt Fain will kill him. Rand's soul would be corrupted.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Not quite what I expected. I thought Graendal had lived, but she is cleared as the killer of you know who, since we don't have any indications that she has been punished by the GL (unless of course the GL had demoted Asmodean before his death ) Also neat to see a new weave!

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Fain did not send the Trollocs to Tear, since it seems he wants to kill Rand with his own 2 hands. Rand is gonna need a lot of balefire to deal with him now LOL

I think Perrin will end up running with the wolves after all. Just a gut feeling, not enough to go on from that scene, though it was pretty cool.

Galad is stepping up finally. Now we have to see how the WC's team up with Perrin to deal with the ?'ers.

And nice shout out to TWOK in the Kandori Tower scene (won't mention more due to possible spoilers)

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 09-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Youngling

JaconKin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite good, the Graendal sequence obviously the best. Though I'm not surprised that Graendal was able to escape, in the end Rand was still able to get another Forsaken taken care even if it wasn't his intended target.

The Perrin scene was interesting and I wonder who it was that was laughing at the end, Isam/Slayer/Lord Luc, or was it perhaps Moridin?

As far as Fain is concerned, shrugs, just depends upon how RJ intends to use him and which way he will go, will he end up being the most important character a la Gollum?

The last scene was good and with the Borderlander army being miles south, how much protection are the Borderlands actually gong to get, what is to stop the forces from just flooding the south?

"Artists use lies to tell the truth, while politicians use them to cover the truth up."

"Nothing in life is to be feared: it is only to be understood."

Currently working on: The Web of Life
Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Loved the Fain section

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
Not quite what I expected. I thought Graendal had lived, but she is cleared as the killer of you know who, since we don't have any indications that she has been punished by the GL (unless of course the GL had demoted Asmodean before his death ) Also neat to see a new weave!

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Fain did not send the Trollocs to Tear, since it seems he wants to kill Rand with his own 2 hands. Rand is gonna need a lot of balefire to deal with him now LOL

I think Perrin will end up running with the wolves after all. Just a gut feeling, not enough to go on from that scene, though it was pretty cool.

Galad is stepping up finally. Now we have to see how the WC's team up with Perrin to deal with the ?'ers.

And nice shout out to TWOK in the Kandori Tower scene (won't mention more due to possible spoilers)
It was hard not to enjoy how wickedly awesome Fain is now - his PoV was great. Of course, the Graendal part will have everyone talking about Asmodean. Graendal supporters will say case closed. Non Graendal supporters will say in your dreams. And on it will go - but a great part nonetheless. I wanted her to be gone, badly, but it's nice to see that some Forsaken are smarter than others (and waiting for Luckers to come along - to remind him that at the end of his entry for the WoT FAQ on this, even he didn't believe the idea to be true.) I'd love to see her try to take out some of Rand's "women." Galad - I've given the guy crap, but it's nice to get into his head in this scene - I now prefer him over Gawyn, which surprises me. And a great, touching way to end the prologue. Got the chills a few times when I read it.

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 09-21-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
Ah, but those attacks served the purpose of pushing Rand toward Shayol Ghul, where Fain wants him. Also, Mashadar pretty much confirms it; Sammael's soul was corrupted by Mashadar, which is why he couldn't be transmigrated.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 AM
Youngling

JaconKin is an unknown quantity at this point

Galad's character I've always enjoyed for the most part and I enjoyed his scene as well. Unlike his brother who is a hot head and currently is nothing more than a bully, Galad at least still has a cool head even in the most extreme moments.

Also it is rather interesting to see the contrasting differences between the two, at least he is willing to question matters more deeply.

It is also interesting in this sequence, we see Galad doing exactly what Egwene had to do with the Tower, trying to keep the Children togetehr without it coming to killing other Children.

"Artists use lies to tell the truth, while politicians use them to cover the truth up."

"Nothing in life is to be feared: it is only to be understood."

Currently working on: The Web of Life

Last edited by JaconKin; 09-21-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed them all except Perrin. Graendal's was best, obviously. I'll probably go read it again after I post. Now it's even more likely that she's doing something with Elayne. I'm so happy she's alive.

And I want Perrin to just go away. Everyone's gone through more than he has, and he just won't quit moaning. I don't even like to read his PoVs anymore. I hope something drastic happens early in the book to make him more enjoyable to read. Maybe if there is enough action with Slayer he won't have time to cry. Hopper said it best: "Problems are not amusing, Young Bull. But you are climbing back and forth over the same wall."

Last edited by jana; 09-21-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Youngling

Yossarian is an unknown quantity at this point

First thoughts...I guess I'm glad that my hunch Graendal was still alive was proved right. It's nice to be right for once. Though her escape didn't happen how I thought it would, it was still cool--and ominous, to say the least--to read how it all went down.

I wanted more Lan and less Perrin. Count me as another who thought the whole Wolfbrother phobia Perrin had early in the series was over and done with. If he's this overstressed about the problems in his life, I would hope he'll be more sympathetic toward Rand, who's been dealing with problems much bigger for a lot longer. I mean, good God, Perrin is paralyzed with fear over losing Faile; Rand has three times as many women he's in love with. But of course Perrin doesn't actually know that. Anyway.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

I also liked the prologue. Although I was sad when reading the Galad part. It is obviously written mostly by RJ and has dead mules in it. (now hoping these words don't come back to hount me) and i even had to cry at the last scene.

I didn't like that Greandal still lived. Although i was holding my breath the whole time reading that chapter. What if that was the chapter about Asmo?
Good that Delana and Arangar are dead.

I really liked the Fain and Lan part. Curious if Rand will die in this book or if it will start off with the next book.
it really seems RAnd will die before the last battle, but i still don't see how it would work with all the prophecies of him dying at Shayol Guhl.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.