art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Random Signing Reports

Please add any signing reports that are not included in the formal tour stop threads.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Orem Library - 9/21/10

My son (he's ten and wore his TL t-shirt) and I went down to Brandon's signing at the Orem, UT library this evening. I have the audio of the general Q&A with the audience, but nothing specific to anything WoT related, so I'm not going to transcribe that right now.

After the speech and q&a, we waited for the line of those waiting for their books to be signed to end. I didn't come with a list of questions, but I figured I couldn't leave without asking a couple. So, here are the few I asked - two are ones I came up with regarding two recently discussed theories and the rest were submitted by fans via @Theoryland on twitter.

Short and sweet.

---

Matt: (General summarization of the attack on Rand) Moridin is speaking to the Chosen. He’s kind of pissed. He’s saying look somebody, it was either Sammael or someone pretending to be Sammael, but it was definitely one of the Chosen. Is Moridin’s assumption/belief correct, that the only way for that to have occurred was for one of the Chosen to be involved?

Brandon: Someone very high up would have to have been involved.

Matt: (Laughter) I should have phrased the question differently…

Brandon: Someone very high up would have to have been involved. It didn’t just happen.

Matt: When you say high up, do you mean marked or someone with great power?

Brandon: Someone with great influence and power among the, the um…the, among those who follow the Shadow would have to have been involved.

Matt: (Laughter) So, are you suggesting that it may not have been just one person?

Brandon: I said what I said (smiles).

(Sorry Terez – made up these questions on the fly, so they weren’t very good, but it’s something to chew on. Next.)

Matt: This has to do with the Luckers’ Shiny Dragon theory. Masema mentions having a vision, someone tells him to kill Perrin. So, my question, was the individual telling him to kill Perrin a male or female?

Brandon: He saw a male.

Matt: He did, but was the individual a male or a female?

Brandon: (Laughs appreciatively and pauses)

Brandon: Yes, yes he was a male or a female.

Matt: (Laughs) Was the individual a male?

Brandon: (Thoughtful, deep intake of breath, pause)

Matt: …as classically defined by his physical…(laughter)

Brandon: (Says, yes I get what you are asking)…

Matt: ...I’ll say it this way, does this individual have the soul of a man or a woman?

Brandon: mmmhmm. (pauses looking up for a good twenty or thirty seconds)

Brandon: Female.

Matt: Excellent.

Matt: The other question I had…someone wants to know if you are ever coming up to Ontario, Canada?

Brandon: We did have a Canadian Con invite me. 2012? (Asks his wife) I would really like to do a Canadian tour next fall, since I don’t have a tour scheduled, since there are no books coming out next fall. So I might try to do a Canadian tour next fall.

Matt (for WSB): The next question is from a TL’er. Did Ishamael’s healing of LTT back in the prologue of TEOTW, create the same doctor-patient bond as when Nyneave healed Egwene?

Brandon: No, not that I know. I think that I would know, but no.

Matt: The last question…Mitchell asks, can we expect an epic Rand/Elayne/Aviendha/Min reunion?

Brandon: I’m so glad you said reunion.

(Small group of people erupt in laughter)

Matt: You were wondering where I was going with that... (More laughter)

Brandon: RAFO, Ask again later.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Yeah, those questions don't really shed much light on Fain, since the theory rests on the assumption that it was Fain's distilling at Shayol Ghul that gave him the potential for these powers. It's nice that both Aran'gar and Demandred have been eliminated for Masema, though. They were probably the two most popular suspects. I suppose someone could still argue for Aran'gar since she had adapted to her body, but it's a pretty huge stretch.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Lord of the Board

Default Thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Yeah, those questions don't really shed much light on Fain, since the theory rests on the assumption that it was Fain's distilling at Shayol Ghul that gave him the potential for these powers. It's nice that both Aran'gar and Demandred have been eliminated for Masema, though. They were probably the two most popular suspects. I suppose someone could still argue for Aran'gar since she had adapted to her body, but it's a pretty huge stretch.
It seemed that he wasn't going to give on the Manor questions and I wasn't prepared with poignant ones for it. Although he didn't want to say yes regarding whether Moridin was correct and he wouldn't say Chosen when I pushed on what very high up meant - "great influence and power among those who follow the shadow," mainly a non-answer, which is its own kind of answer around here. So, we didn't get Moridin was right. We didn't get Moridin was wrong.

And Aran'gar is out...depending on how you interpret Brandon's answer. If he was answering the soul question, then Aran'gar is out. If he was answering the initial question, then Aran'gar is still in. I think it is a stretch that he is going back an answering the initial question, but he did spend a good amount of time contemplating it, so "female" in that answer might be a sly way of him answering the original.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Also, power and influence among who? The Chosen? If so, then Fain seems unlikely. Among Shadowspawn or Darkfriends? I'd say Fain's got more power over either group than even the Chosen, outside of Compulsion. He just snatches random Darkfriends off the street and makes them his followers. Or he did back in the day; he seems to have lost interest in that.

Also, I think I will put these in the database tomorrow. Didn't sleep well today so I'm going to crash again.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that he was aware of the speculation that Fain was behind the Trolloc attack, and did not want to either confirm or deny it.

And I notice that he's perpetuating RJ's anti-hermaphrodite prejudice, by limiting the perpetrators of the "trick Masema" plot to one single gender.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
My son (he's ten and wore his TL t-shirt) and I went down to Brandon's signing at the Orem, UT library this evening. I have the audio of the general Q&A with the audience, but nothing specific to anything WoT related, so I'm not going to transcribe that right now.

After the speech and q&a, we waited for the line of those waiting for their books to be signed to end. I didn't come with a list of questions, but I figured I couldn't leave without asking a couple. So, here are the few I asked - two are ones I came up with regarding two recently discussed theories and the rest were submitted by fans via @Theoryland on twitter.

Short and sweet.

---

Matt: (General summarization of the attack on Rand) Moridin is speaking to the Chosen. He’s kind of pissed. He’s saying look somebody, it was either Sammael or someone pretending to be Sammael, but it was definitely one of the Chosen. Is Moridin’s assumption/belief correct, that the only way for that to have occurred was for one of the Chosen to be involved?

Brandon: Someone very high up would have to have been involved.

Matt: (Laughter) I should have phrased the question differently…

Brandon: Someone very high up would have to have been involved. It didn’t just happen.

Matt: When you say high up, do you mean marked or someone with great power?

Brandon: Someone with great influence and power among the, the um…the, among those who follow the Shadow would have to have been involved.

Matt: (Laughter) So, are you suggesting that it may not have been just one person?

Brandon: I said what I said (smiles).

(Sorry Terez – made up these questions on the fly, so they weren’t very good, but it’s something to chew on. Next.)

Matt: This has to do with the Luckers’ Shiny Dragon theory. Masema mentions having a vision, someone tells him to kill Perrin. So, my question, was the individual telling him to kill Perrin a male or female?

Brandon: He saw a male.

Matt: He did, but was the individual a male or a female?

Brandon: (Laughs appreciatively and pauses)

Brandon: Yes, yes he was a male or a female.

Matt: (Laughs) Was the individual a male?

Brandon: (Thoughtful, deep intake of breath, pause)

Matt: …as classically defined by his physical…(laughter)

Brandon: (Says, yes I get what you are asking)…

Matt: ...I’ll say it this way, does this individual have the soul of a man or a woman?

Matt: The other question I had…someone wants to know if you are ever coming up to Ontario, Canada?

Brandon: We did have a Canadian Con invite me. 2012? (Asks his wife) I would really like to do a Canadian tour next fall, since I don’t have a tour scheduled, since there are no books coming out next fall. So I might try to do a Canadian tour next fall.

Matt (for WSB): The next question is from a TL’er. Did Ishamael’s healing of LTT back in the prologue of TEOTW, create the same doctor-patient bond as when Nyneave healed Egwene?

Brandon: No, not that I know. I think that I would know, but no.

Matt: The last question…Mitchell asks, can we expect an epic Rand/Elayne/Aviendha/Min reunion?

Brandon: I’m so glad you said reunion.

(Small group of people erupt in laughter)

Matt: You were wondering where I was going with that... (More laughter)

Brandon: RAFO, Ask again later.
Heh. Thanks, Tam! At least that question didn't elicit a RAFO, and it seemed while he wasn't 100% sure of his answer, that a wrong answer isn't plot affecting.

Regarding the attack on the manor, I wonder if the same faction that was giving orders to Carridin (to kill Rand) is involved.

Good stuff!

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

I don't see where you guys are getting that Brandon implied more than one person was involved.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Who put Compulsion on Masema's mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post

Unfortunately, that doesn't matter narrow down the suspects of who put Compulsion on the mind of Masema. In particular:
  • Moghedien
  • Annoura Larisen

Each had a good reason to use Compulsion upon Masema:

Moghedien, I think, was the 'old woman stirring soup' when Nynaeve, Uno, Ragan visited the Prophet in Samara.

Quote:
Fine house as it might be, the kitchen was dusty, and empty except for one bony, gray-haired woman, her drab gray dress and white apron the only clean things in sight as they walked through. Sucking her teeth, the old woman hardly glanced up from stirring a small kettle of soup over a tiny blaze in one of the wide stone fireplaces.
Quote:
Masema appeared to have forgotten them before they reached the door; he was already frowning at the weedy man, waiting next to a bluff fellow in a farmer’s coat who was crumpling his cap in thick hands, awe painted across his broad face.

She did not say a word as they retraced their steps through the kitchen, where the gray-haired woman was sucking her teeth and stirring the soup as if she had not moved in the interval.

The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 39 'Encounters in Samara' - Nynaeve point of view
If Moghedien could play a servant in Tanchico, in a house where the Black Ajah was... she could have done it again.

This would explain why Moghedien was ready waiting to get on the same boat as Nynaeve, Elayne and company in Samara. Plus two helpful pawns in the game--Nicola Treehill's foretellings heard by a young woman who sounds as if she has been subject to Compulsion, Areina Nermasiv. And why Moghedien disguised herself as a village healer to get close to Nynaeve. If Moghedien has to go away for whatever reason, she has Areina's mind to pick-up on things in her stead--foretells, gossip, rumors etc.

It also explains why Moghedien abandons a bunch of B.A.'s in Samara quickly without further commands.

Moghedien needed to find a group of individuals to cover her trail, before the Riverserpent arrived: Areina, Nicola, two "sons", Seve and Jaril. Moghedien just didn't pick anyone, she sought individuals with something in common with Birgitte (Areina, Seve, Jaril). Why? To distract the one person, who knew of Mogheiden well--Birgitte.

From another perspective, Moghedien using Masema as a Prophet to spoil the Dragon Reborn's reputation fits with confession given by Joiya in the Stone to Nynaeve, Egwene. (See TDR, Ch.5 'Questioners')

The thing is did anyone else place Compulsion upon Masema, while Moghedien was bound by a'dam placed by Nynaeve?

Moghedien did lack contact with Masema, for quite some time.

Did Annoura Larisen while with Perrin?

Annoura did once secretly visit Masema, and would not tell Berelain why or what she did.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 10-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

report from Comic Con signing, 10/9/2010:

The signing area was way too crowded to listen to any q&a from other fans, so I just asked a couple of questions:

Q: Can a Dreamer access TAR if trapped by an a'dam?
A: At first, Brandon said yes, but then he qualified that with 90% chance of yes.

Q: Can a Dreamer access TAR if trapped by the Finns?
A: Tough question LOL, MAFO.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon