art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Hey New Users of Theoryland!
User Name
Password

Old 09-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Youngling

Weatherwax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Avoiding TheThree Oaths

Hi, I am new to this, so here go's. I keep reading that the three oaths are " graven on your bones". Does that mean if you had a ter'angreal similar to the one Mat had, you would be able to swear the three oaths and still remain free of them? Could it be a ter'angreal in the shape of a great serpent ring? Or is weave of saidin or the true power used on every BA sister before she swears or after she is released from the three oaths?

Also in TGS, Romanda swears that "I am not nor ever have been a darkfriend", to me all that proves is that she could have sworn to the Dark One after she attained the shawl. It seems that most BA view themselves as separate, above, or beyond normal Darkfriends. I am also thinking about Verin's journals "factions of darkfriends".
Also from Graendal in TSR "a new word will have to be created for what we are" clearly she didn't consider herself mortal, it's not mutch of a stretch for Messana to believe she is no mere Darkfriend.

I also am thinking of the loyalists searching the White Tower for BA. Think of the way that Talene was forced to " foreswear all oaths that bind", her reaction was to scream and cry apparently in intense agony. Now cut to the sisters in Egwene's camp, a mere hiss of pain. Does this mean that all they did was remove the Three oaths and no others? SO does this also mean that if you are Black Ajah and smart enough to find a hole so that you could give a suitably Aes Sedai answer to the implication that are you a darkfriend?
Does this mean that the oath taking process for the Black Ajah supersedes the Three Oaths while not removing them, allowing the ageless look without the other effects?
Old 09-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Youngling

Default P.S.

I posted this because Brandon Sanderson said we should be looking at ways to circumvent the Three Oaths so... please theorize to your hearts content.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherwax View Post
Hi, I am new to this, so here go's. I keep reading that the three oaths are " graven on your bones". Does that mean if you had a ter'angreal similar to the one Mat had, you would be able to swear the three oaths and still remain free of them? Could it be a ter'angreal in the shape of a great serpent ring? Or is weave of saidin or the true power used on every BA sister before she swears or after she is released from the three oaths?

Also in TGS, Romanda swears that "I am not nor ever have been a darkfriend", to me all that proves is that she could have sworn to the Dark One after she attained the shawl. It seems that most BA view themselves as separate, above, or beyond normal Darkfriends. I am also thinking about Verin's journals "factions of darkfriends".
Also from Graendal in TSR "a new word will have to be created for what we are" clearly she didn't consider herself mortal, it's not mutch of a stretch for Messana to believe she is no mere Darkfriend.

I also am thinking of the loyalists searching the White Tower for BA. Think of the way that Talene was forced to " foreswear all oaths that bind", her reaction was to scream and cry apparently in intense agony. Now cut to the sisters in Egwene's camp, a mere hiss of pain. Does this mean that all they did was remove the Three oaths and no others? SO does this also mean that if you are Black Ajah and smart enough to find a hole so that you could give a suitably Aes Sedai answer to the implication that are you a darkfriend?
Does this mean that the oath taking process for the Black Ajah supersedes the Three Oaths while not removing them, allowing the ageless look without the other effects?
Using a ter'angreal like Mat's foxhead medallion would prevent the 3 Oaths from taking effect, since they utilize a weave of Spirit, which would dissolve upon contact with the oath-taker.

Verin stated that she took new oaths when she joined the Shadow (TGS-ch 39). And Galina thought to herself of the trinity of oaths that replaced the 3 regular oaths (don't have the quote available and I'm out of searches for the month). Besides, Black sisters would not be able to do their jobs effectively if they could not speak untrue words.

btw, welcome to TL. Just a suggestion, this kind of thread would usually go on the general wot board.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 09-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Youngling

Default Clarification

First as I said I'm new. So I guess I'll just ask for fogiveness and not permission as to where I posted what I posted.
That being said I was more concerned by how one of the Forsaken or Black Ajah could deal with being forced to retake the Three Oaths. Thus my question do the Forsaken even consider themselves Darkfriends and do the Black Ajah consider themselves DarkFriends?
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"
Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the BA does consider itself DF. We do not know about all the Forsaken, but Lanfear has said that she wasn't a DF, and she seemed sincere about that.
Whether or not Mesaana makes the same distinction between Darkfriends and Chosen is unknown.