art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Hey New Users of Theoryland!
User Name
Password

Old 09-23-2010, 03:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Also, didn't you say that the Finns use subtitles rather than dubbing on English films/TV? That appears to be the main thing that separates Scandinavia and the Netherlands from the rest of Europe.
Ah yes the third point.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-23-2010, 05:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Finns should probably be counted among those, but I still think we get more Dutchies than Scandinavians+Finland combined.
I wonder where I go under this logic. Linguistically very close to Finland but geographically Eastern European since Estonia isn't on the Northern coast of the Baltic Sea. But then, neither is Denmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Well. The first point is that in terms of grammar Finnish is a bit more complex than most European tongues. We grow up with it and so learning another language is really a matter of vocabulary. The second point is that our educational system requires us to study Finnish, Swedish and at least one foreign language. English is the language of computers and half the television programs so it's a natural choice.
lol. A bit is an understatement. Thing is, the Finno-Ugric languages tend to be agglutinative (meaning: the ends of the words change in order to show what in English is accomplished with pronouns, articles and suchlike). This means that the whole language structure is completely different from Indo-European languages. However, once one of those languages is well learned, others aren't that difficult.In Estonia it's also one extra language that's mandatory, and often a third - the second language in most schools is English, the third is either Russian or German (with Finnish gaining ground on those two). Unless it's a Russian school, in which case the second language is Estonian, then third English.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 09-23-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Yes well, I find that understatements are generally better in the art of making points than overstatements.

EDIT: Or truths that sound like boasting for that matter. Humility is the key to understanding.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Youngling

lowlandr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
Norway's got slightly less than 5 million inhabitants, so you can slash a few millions off of that number.
my bad, 4,6m...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confinfantry View Post
Welcome!! glad you could make it. I am a fellow music lover myself (I studied music in college and even have my degree in it.) Glad you could join us here.

Its AWESOME to see another D&D player on here. I'm sure there are more but you are the first that I have noticed so far.. AND 3.5 you are AWESOME!!! I am currently running a 3.5 campaign set in the worlds largest dungeon and its AMAZING!!

As for music If you like piano music definitely check out some Chopin, organ music I really enjoy Bach, and for NeoRomantic music I LOVE Stravinsky! I am a huge fan of Choral music(as was my major) and Enjoy many old and new composers. If you like choral works check out Eric Whitacre he has some AMAZING pieces.
it would surprise me if there weren't more D&D players here. Started playing when 3.5 came out, so been a while now.. I'm having a ton of fun with it (while drinking a beer and roasting a stake) Currently we are playing 'Mysteries of the Moonsea'.

I'll give Stravinsky and Whitacre a shot
do you have pieces you recommend for Bach? Like I said, I haven't been into Bach, but I'm give it a second shot.. Maybe Terez will be less 'obvious' then

Quote:
Also, didn't you say that the Finns use subtitles rather than dubbing on English films/TV? That appears to be the main thing that separates Scandinavia and the Netherlands from the rest of Europe.
never got why you would dub films/TV. I remember B.A. Baracus (Mr. T.) with a high pitched voice
It would be like reading WoT in Dutch... it would be the same, but way off at the same time.

Quote:
Since you don't like Bach, there is obviously something wrong with you, so there is no hope for you.
I guess 'subtle' is you middle name...
but seriously, how do you think I ended up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
Yes well, I find that understatements are generally better in the art of making points than overstatements.

EDIT: Or truths that sound like boasting for that matter. Humility is the key to understanding.
understatements with a wink or a bit of sarcasm (depending on the situation) are always good.

Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes.

Now the Great Lord comes.

Last edited by lowlandr; 09-24-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:35 AM
Youngling

Elmindreda is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlandr View Post
it would surprise me if there weren't more D&D players here.
There does seem to be a strong link between reading SF/Fantasy and playing RPGS and MMOs

Currently playing D&D4 myself, but have dabbled in others (and MMOs).
Old 09-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Welcome lowlandr. Nice to see another dutchie here ))
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Youngling

Confinfantry is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Confinfantry Send a message via MSN to Confinfantry Send a message via Yahoo to Confinfantry

Quote:

it would surprise me if there weren't more D&D players here. Started playing when 3.5 came out, so been a while now.. I'm having a ton of fun with it (while drinking a beer and roasting a stake) Currently we are playing 'Mysteries of the Moonsea'.

I'll give Stravinsky and Whitacre a shot
do you have pieces you recommend for Bach? Like I said, I haven't been into Bach, but I'm give it a second shot.. Maybe Terez will be less 'obvious' then
Well I do enjoy his organ works.... His Toccata and Fugue in D minor and his little Fugue in G are always great. very playful..... Bach was also a composer for the Lutheran church, and being a good Lutheran.. love his works.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Welcome lowlandr. Nice to see another dutchie here ))
thank you Isabel...
I think we've 'met' once on the Elf fantasy fair in '03. RJ was visiting that year, and you were specificly mentioned by RJ
don't think we met personally though

Quote:
Well I do enjoy his organ works.... His Toccata and Fugue in D minor and his little Fugue in G are always great. very playful..... Bach was also a composer for the Lutheran church, and being a good Lutheran.. love his works.
I'll give it a shot tonight

Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

Sorry i havnt posted here but you see... i automatically ban anything having to do with new kids on the block... and not liking bach is a sin against fairies
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Youngling

Quote:
These were pretty good. you might find some humor out of this clip
I'm still trying to find my way around classical music.. If I run into something I really like, I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
Sorry i havnt posted here but you see... i automatically ban anything having to do with new kids on the block... and not liking bach is a sin against fairies
there are no relationships what so ever with them, so no worries... I even don't like their music
I guess I'll be doing some more sinning on this board

Old 09-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Cool lowlandr, so you have seen me as the huge fangirl
Did you only went to the elffantasy fair or did you also go to other booksignings?

You don't know Sander, do you?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Cool lowlandr, so you have seen me as the huge fangirl
Did you only went to the elffantasy fair or did you also go to other booksignings?

You don't know Sander, do you?
I only went to the fair and the signing at the fair (on Saturday, IIRC)... I remember you asking RJ if he would remember you and Sander, and his reply to it And me getting RAFO'd

and no, I don't know Sander personally.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Youngling

Confinfantry is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Confinfantry Send a message via MSN to Confinfantry Send a message via Yahoo to Confinfantry

Quote:
These were pretty good. you might find some humor out of this clip
I'm still trying to find my way around classical music.. If I run into something I really like, I'll let you know.
WOW!! Amazing he is fantastic!!!