art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): ShadowbaneX, qrbevacquawerne,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 10-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crue View Post
Since Taim didn't show up for the meeting, I would say thats the biggest point that he's not Forsaken. If he was, there was no way he would miss that meeting. We saw the consequences of others who had spurned a Moridin invitation.

But that doesn't answer my question Davian. What do you feel would make someone a Forsaken?
Moridin might not want the original Forsaken to know there's a new one...or at least not know specifically who the new one is.

A couple things make a Forsaken per the Dark One and RJ:

1. The ability to order Trollocs/Fades via their special mark (not the same as Alviarin's mark but along those lines)
2. Immortality via resurrection.
3. Occasional access to True Power

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Davian93; 10-17-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Youngling

crue is an unknown quantity at this point

Taim may have had access to the True Power, hence the dark aura around him. But there's been nothing in the text to suggest he believes he will be resurrected by the Dark One or that he can control Myrddraal. At this point, we can't say he's anything other than an alleged darkfriend channeler.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crue View Post
When people here refer to "new" Forsaken, what qualities are they looking for?
I think that "Forsaken" here is a red herring. It is the wrong term.

The term that should be used is the one Lanfear used when she explained the issue to Rand: "Chosen to rule the world forever."

A person belongs to the Chosen if he has been chosen to be part of that group by the DO. That's it. So if the DO decides that Taim is Chosen, then he is, whether or not anyone else knows about it. If the DO has not made that decision, then Taim is not Chosen, not even if he has been granted access to the TP.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I would hope that all Randlanders have access to TP.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
You mean the One Power? Because the True Power obviously comes from the Dark One.

Edit: Nevermind, it was a joke. Its a monday and I'm freaking dead from 3.5 hrs sleep.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 10-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Edit: Nevermind, it was a joke. Its a monday and I'm freaking dead from 3.5 hrs sleep.
Obviously, you should not have slept.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Youngling

morat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
By far the bulk of all Atha'an Miere trade was in packets of three sea shells, harvested by diving teams on Tremalking. This is, of course, why the demise of the Amayar is such a tragedy.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by morat'corlm View Post
By far the bulk of all Atha'an Miere trade was in packets of three sea shells, harvested by diving teams on Tremalking. This is, of course, why the demise of the Amayar is such a tragedy.
Repped.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Youngling

morat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to behold
Default Something I noticed on my re-read re:Taim as darkfriend

This doesn't prove Taim is or was elevated to Chosen, but it could be evidence against the idea that Taim was turned after LOC, and perhaps evidence supporting the idea that Taim was in cahoots with Rahvin:

First we have Lord Elegar, who's found his dull Darkfriend life turned upside down as he's become a thrall to the Chosen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFOH-Prologue
That done, he released Elegar’s mind as well. Lord Elegar. A minor noble, but faithful to his vows. He licked his thin lips nervously and glanced at the woman, then went immediately to one knee before Rahvin. Friends of the Dark—Darkfriends they were called, now—had begun learning just how strictly they would be kept to their vows now that Rahvin and the others were freed.
Elegar re-appears in LOC, as he and Gaebril's other toadies remain in the palace at Caemlyn after Rahvin's death. Then Rand mentions that Sammael is still out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC1
A thump made him look over his shoulder. Arymilla lay in a heap on the paving stones. Karind was kneeling to pull her skirts down over her ankles and chafe her wrists. Elegar swayed as though he might join Arymilla in a moment, and neither Nasin nor Elenia appeared in much better state. Most of the rest looked ready to sick up. Mention of the Forsaken could do that, especially since Rand had told them that Lord Gaebril really had been Rahvin.
And then, upon Taim's arrival at the palace being announced,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC2
Elegar staggered back among the columns and bent over, retching loudly.
Perhaps it's just a show, or perhaps Elegar is genuinely revolted by the idea of a man channeling, as many are, despite having worked for Rahvin. Or maybe Elegar recognizes the name of another Darkfriend, ranking high above him – possibly one he's already met – and is mourning the incipient loss of his freedom.

Tags
taim, trolloc attack in tear